How many cons do you usually submit to?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Re: How many cons do you usually submit to?

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Ileia wrote:I submit fairly often. I certainly don't submit to every convention, I don't think I've ever made it past a dozen or so in a year's time. Even then, I spread it out and submit a wide range of videos, since I typically make 8-12 videos a year anyway. I attend 3-4 cons and get to watch the contests and I do find it annoying that the contest line-ups at many conventions end up being nearly identical, but I also understand that a lot of editors only make a couple videos a year and so the contests reflect that. ......but that's why I like AWA Pro because you HAVE to make new stuff. It's like AMV Christmas for me! :up:
8-12 a year? Dang, you're hard core. I thought having my one at Anime Boston was a big deal XD

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Normally it's always good to submit to the ones you're going to attend and beyond that I send to cons that I either want to help support or that have asked me to submit certain videos.

I don't like sending a single video to more than 3 conventions though (unless there are extenuating circumstances) so it helps to pick wisely :p

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:17 am

that makes a lot of sense. I guess it's all personal taste and opinion. I've been sending mine to quite a few since it first premiered at Anime Boston. Being my first serious AMV for a competition I really want to share it and see how far it goes. Chances are I'll start dialing it down for my next video though XD
Win or lose, it's a real rush first seeing your own AMV up on that screen, isn't it?

knage
Org Profile

Post by knage » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 pm

For me I don't make many full AMVs a year, but I submit them to as many contests as I can. My past AMVs didn't always make finalist anyway, but I won a few none the less. I personally want to help my YouTube channel grow, but a trophy would be nice too.
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmARoS ... GP_b7rHM7g

I edit with a passion. Remember my name.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 pm

knage wrote:For me I don't make many full AMVs a year, but I submit them to as many contests as I can. My past AMVs didn't always make finalist anyway, but I won a few none the less. I personally want to help my YouTube channel grow, but a trophy would be nice too.
I hear ya. I'm less about winning myself and more about spreading love to my favorite animes (particularly the under-appreciated ones) but I wouldn't sneer at a trophy either

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 am

Personally I try to keep mine to 15 submissions with the bulk being in the first 3 months and any outside of that time window is either a huge con, one I'm attending, AWA, or Youmacon.

With the massive amount of cons these days and most having a contest, the small cons would suffer if everyone limited all their videos to just ones they attended or a handful. Figuring out that balance for yourself is important so don't feel guilty on the account of others, but keep in mind that there is a line that will cause other editors look down on you, or I should say lines...lol.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Win all the shinies

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:58 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote: With the massive amount of cons these days and most having a contest, the small cons would suffer if everyone limited all their videos to just ones they attended or a handful. Figuring out that balance for yourself is important so don't feel guilty on the account of others, but keep in mind that there is a line that will cause other editors look down on you, or I should say lines...lol.
What? I don't even understand this statement. No offense but you pretty much send to anything. Regardless if it's big or small..

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Scott has irony deflectors installed. Best $50 you can ever spend.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2020)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Ryvannis wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote: With the massive amount of cons these days and most having a contest, the small cons would suffer if everyone limited all their videos to just ones they attended or a handful. Figuring out that balance for yourself is important so don't feel guilty on the account of others, but keep in mind that there is a line that will cause other editors look down on you, or I should say lines...lol.
What? I don't even understand this statement. No offense but you pretty much send to anything. Regardless if it's big or small..
Not a single video tho, I would spread it out across videos and usually only send a particular video to small cons for 3-4 months (unless specifically requested).
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Scott has irony deflectors installed. Best $50 you can ever spend.
Indeed, good purchase.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”