Anime Expo 2015 AMV Competition - WINNERS POSTED!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Magicflier
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2015 AMV Competition - NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

Post by Magicflier » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:01 pm

I thought speed editing from beginning to end is the way to do it :awesome:

RetroMegabyte
Org Profile

Post by RetroMegabyte » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Hey It's Retro Again,

I need a quick answer for another question I've been pondering on for the last 7 minutes or so, so here is the question?

Is this kind of animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umYHweaJHZg allowed for AMV submissions for the competition? It has that classic anime art style, albeit CGI in the context of those cutscenes from MMX8 on the PS2. Anyway, I was just wondering because I literally just started contemplating on this, the only difference between the Maverick Hunter X OVA footage and the MMX8 pre-rendered cutscenes is that the MHX OVA is not CGI-based animation; that is traditional japanese anime, while the MMX8 cutscenes are CGI animations with their anime art style intact. (Again, the MHX OVA footage is the kind that is currently in my posted prototype, next one I post will be a complete beta, final changes will be implemented at that point). I'm very confident I can implement this if that style of animation is allowed for contest submissions like mine, which is currently in the works, I'm making good amounts of progress. So, I would like an answer from you guys, and to the mods: I'm sure you guys know all of the rules I'm not necessarily aware of, I trust you guys! :wink:

Thanks again!
Speed, Action, Sophistication, Awesomeness. It's what I live for. It's who I am.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:55 pm

RetroMegabyte wrote:Hey It's Retro Again,

I need a quick answer for another question I've been pondering on for the last 7 minutes or so, so here is the question?

Is this kind of animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umYHweaJHZg allowed for AMV submissions for the competition? It has that classic anime art style, albeit CGI in the context of those cutscenes from MMX8 on the PS2. Anyway, I was just wondering because I literally just started contemplating on this, the only difference between the Maverick Hunter X OVA footage (the footage currently in my posted prototype, next one I post will be a complete beta, final changes will be implemented at that point), and I'm confident I can implement this if that style of animation is allowed for contest submissions like mine, which is currently in the works, I'm making good amounts of progress. So, I would like an answer from you guys, and to the mods: I'm sure you guys know all of the rules I'm not necessarily aware of, I trust you guys! :wink:

Thanks again!
That's a judgement call I'd need to discuss with my co-managers. We're due to do a submissions review within the next couple of days so I'll try to inquire with them at that time.
Sakura Con 2013-2019 - AMV something something of something.
Anime Expo 2012-2018 - Emeritus AMV Coordinator

“Understanding is a three-edged sword.” -J. Michael Straczynski

RetroMegabyte
Org Profile

Post by RetroMegabyte » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:16 am

XStylus wrote:
RetroMegabyte wrote:Hey It's Retro Again,

Is this kind of animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umYHweaJHZg allowed for AMV submissions for the competition? It has that classic anime art style, albeit CGI in the context of those cutscenes from MMX8 on the PS2. Anyway, I was just wondering because I literally just started contemplating on this, the only difference between the Maverick Hunter X OVA footage (the footage currently in my posted prototype, next one I post will be a complete beta, final changes will be implemented at that point), and I'm confident I can implement this if that style of animation is allowed for contest submissions like mine, which is currently in the works, I'm making good amounts of progress. So, I would like an answer from you guys, and to the mods: I'm sure you guys know all of the rules I'm not necessarily aware of, I trust you guys! :wink:

Thanks again!
That's a judgement call I'd need to discuss with my co-managers. We're due to do a submissions review within the next couple of days so I'll try to inquire with them at that time.
According to the rules on the AX page, I think I possibly found my answer here: http://i.imgur.com/OIbw5oE.png
maybe. But that's what I found, so based on that I think it would be okay, although since you're one of the event managers, I'm gonna leave the final call to the organizers
Speed, Action, Sophistication, Awesomeness. It's what I live for. It's who I am.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:22 am

RetroMegabyte wrote:According to the rules on the AX page, I think I possibly found my answer here: http://i.imgur.com/OIbw5oE.png
maybe. But that's what I found, so based on that I think it would be okay, although since you're one of the event managers, I'm gonna leave the final call to the organizers
You're right. If you're only using a little bit of it and the rest of your vid is bona-fide anime material, then yeah, there's no problem.

If your entire vid was composed of that material, then there'd be a debate on whether that qualifies as "anime-styled" material... ...and my gut reaction is that it probably would sinces Japanese video games have traditionally been accepted as usable material (to an extent), but again, that's a discussion our team would have if it becomes necessary to do so.
Sakura Con 2013-2019 - AMV something something of something.
Anime Expo 2012-2018 - Emeritus AMV Coordinator

“Understanding is a three-edged sword.” -J. Michael Straczynski

RetroMegabyte
Org Profile

Post by RetroMegabyte » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:58 am

XStylus wrote:
RetroMegabyte wrote:According to the rules on the AX page, I think I possibly found my answer here: http://i.imgur.com/OIbw5oE.png
You're right. If you're only using a little bit of it and the rest of your vid is bona-fide anime material, then yeah, there's no problem.

If your entire vid was composed of that material, then there'd be a debate on whether that qualifies as "anime-styled" material... ...and my gut reaction is that it probably would sinces Japanese video games have traditionally been accepted as usable material (to an extent), but again, that's a discussion our team would have if it becomes necessary to do so.
I would not want to have my AMV entirely consist of the MMX8 cutscenes. If permissible, I would rather make it a mix of the bona-fide anime I have had since I started editing, plus the MMX8 cutscenes for a well blended AMV. At least that's what I'm going for.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:19 pm

So my upbeat entry didn't come together as fast as I hoped, so I put that one on hold to focus on a new action which looks to be falling into place. I'm confident it'll be finished by the deadline, I hope earlier so I have time to make something presentable for upbeat @_@ even tho I technically have 2 other videos I could enter as is but I wanted to make some new stuff and running Conji and taking a week to visit in-laws was really bad timing

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 pm

2 weeks jerks! Crunch time. :twisted:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Looking forward seeing more awesome stuff!

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2020 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2020 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 10 (2003) - 27 (2020) AMV Coordinator

RetroMegabyte
Org Profile

Post by RetroMegabyte » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:36 am

Ryvannis wrote:2 weeks jerks! Crunch time. :twisted:
LOL! Exactly what I mumbled to myself seconds before logging in! :rofl:

Return to “AMV Contests”