Anime Expo 2014 AMV Competition - Finalist List POSTED!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2014 AMV Competition - Finalist List POSTED!

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:(Seriously considering coming out next year to work the room too btw)
noooooooooo don't sell your soul!!! DX

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:(Seriously considering coming out next year to work the room too btw)
He likes staffing amv rooms, you shouldn't be surprised.
ImageImage

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
He wont be at SakuraCon so we have to punish him with AX :P

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:01 pm

60 pages!! |:> |:> |:> :bzz2: :bzz2: :bzz2: :bzz2: :bzz: :bzz: :bzz:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Tsu!
Org Profile

Post by Tsu! » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:23 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but nonetheless.

I really enjoyed everything that I got to see in the AMV Room this year and thought the contest was very,very good. Last year was my first AX and I wasn't really able to see any of the programming held in the AMV Room, so I made an effort to attend as much as I could this year when not roasting in the reg line - and loved every bit of it. So much fun, and the audience always seemed to be really responsive to it. The clap-along was a fantastic way to close out the con for me. It helped to chase away that sad gloom-feeling that a con's ended. I believe it was Vlad who mentioned giving feedback to the con officials regarding the AMV room- is there a specific method of feedback where I can go and be obnoxiously positive about it, or do I just post on the AX forums? :awesome:

As for the contest, I have mixed feelings on some of the results, but for the most part I was really impressed about the lineup in the categories. I've seen my fair share of some of the finalists prior to the contest so I thought I had a fairly strong idea of what the showstoppers would be, and the I'd get blown away by ones I wasn't familiar with. Really great turnout. I can only imagine how tough the judging must have been. The intro and inbetweens were fantastic, what a nostalgia-bomb. And honestly, it's incredibly rare for a contest's winners to match what I either wanted to win or expected to win 100%, so it's not that shocking, even if BakaOppai now has a chair-fort.

I don't know if it was my seat placement (which I thought was GREAT, I loved the seating this year and that we could choose our own seats within the rows) but I felt the audio was overall better this year than last year- or maybe it was the lack of dubstep, IDK- I didn't get deafened by bass this much as last year, which was greatly appreciated. Although I did notice that G6's bass was so strong that it felt like I was being shaken by it. Eep.

One thing I'd like to note- I have no idea if it's out of the control of the AMV staff or not, or related to the access problems mentioned- the general staffers that were coralling the line outside the finalist show didn't seem to know about editor priority seating. Last year I sat outside with everyone else and was collected much later on- so this year I figured I'd hang out indoors and wait for them to indicate where the editors would line up. Instead, I witnessed a staffer pow-wow of 5 or 6 staffers who discussed (loudly enough to be overheard) that press and premium AX'ers would get priority seating, and everyone else would be outside, NO exceptions (their emphasis, not mine). Sooo, befuddled, I went back outside into the line. 20 minutes later someone asked about editors, and the staffer patrolling acknowledged that we got priority seating. Ok... So we walk up to the doors to head back in, and 2 more staffers stop us, and then have to get on their walkietalkies to confirm what to do with us. IDK. Clearly there was some confusion going on. It's a minor issue, but I thought I'd mention it.
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Rider4Z wrote:
He wont be at SakuraCon so we have to punish him with AX :P
Pretty much.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Tsu! wrote: the general staffers that were coralling the line outside the finalist show didn't seem to know about editor priority seating.
Yea, pretty much. We tried our best throughout the con to make sure Access Control knew that anyone with the AMV sticker should get premier-level priority for AMV events. Unfortunately, I don't think this happened until it was too late for the AMV Contest (and other events in the room as well). If I had known that there were editors waiting in line outside for the contest, I would've run out there and grabbed you all myself. Unfortunately it was crazy trying to get everything ready and I didn't even think to inquire about it, even after a few editors came up to us at the main entrance. I am truly sorry for that.

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Tsu! wrote: One thing I'd like to note- I have no idea if it's out of the control of the AMV staff or not, or related to the access problems mentioned- the general staffers that were coralling the line outside the finalist show didn't seem to know about editor priority seating. Last year I sat outside with everyone else and was collected much later on- so this year I figured I'd hang out indoors and wait for them to indicate where the editors would line up. Instead, I witnessed a staffer pow-wow of 5 or 6 staffers who discussed (loudly enough to be overheard) that press and premium AX'ers would get priority seating, and everyone else would be outside, NO exceptions (their emphasis, not mine).
Yeah, minor add-on to that. When we were figuring out what we were supposed to do the staffers were very specific that only people with the sticker could be in the editors line. My two guests who I had gotten tickets for had to go wait outside. It's not a huge deal since we're all going to the same place and my group arrived not long after - and maybe thats actually what the rules are regardless, I don't know - But it was still a tad frustrating.

But hey, if thats my biggest complaint about the whole contest then thats not too bad :bear: The staffers I ran into were pretty kind about it too, just clearly following whatever they were told. Just thought I'd bring it up.

OokamiHD
Org Profile

Post by OokamiHD » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
OokamiHD wrote:I wished i had after effects woulda made it easy on me :evil: Maybe the people were talking about seeing my amv in the previous amv contest. I remember someone emailed me saying they played my incomplete G6 amv back in 2011 preshow.
was that the same video??
Yea, back in 2011 I submitted a 1 min-ish amv and I got several youtube comments saying it was played in AX preshow. Im not sure if it really happened but it sure did motivate me to finish the amv

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

haha yeah Pwolf saved me from staffer when I arrived at the re-screening. Good timing XD But to be fair to the staffer, he was very polite, just uninformed at the time.
OokamiHD wrote:Yea, back in 2011 I submitted a 1 min-ish amv and I got several youtube comments saying it was played in AX preshow. Im not sure if it really happened but it sure did motivate me to finish the amv
well I remember a really awesomely edited amv in the preshow and a bunch of us were thinking why is this one not a finalist? and then it ended suddenly, and a slide came up saying "yes the video really does end here, we were disappointed too" or something like that.
Hagaren Viper wrote:Yeah, minor add-on to that. When we were figuring out what we were supposed to do the staffers were very specific that only people with the sticker could be in the editors line. My two guests who I had gotten tickets for had to go wait outside. It's not a huge deal since we're all going to the same place and my group arrived not long after - and maybe thats actually what the rules are regardless, I don't know - But it was still a tad frustrating.
I would assume that because Troy is the manager of the event then he has final say on how the line works (he'd have to confirm that himself). If that's not the case then that's dumb. Your VIP ticket should give you VIP line privileges.

Return to “AMV Contests”