KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...WINNERS (page 6)!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...FINALISTS!

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:06 am

Ah, that's unfortunate. It seems alot of cons in general today are taking even mildly suggestive content to a new extreme.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 am

Will Katsucon be aiming for a PG rating for its AMV contest from now on? Some of the best AMVs I've ever seen are definitely not PG, and I assume the average audience member is old enough for a PG-13 rating

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 am

Hawkman324 wrote:Will Katsucon be aiming for a PG rating for its AMV contest from now on? Some of the best AMVs I've ever seen are definitely not PG, and I assume the average audience member is old enough for a PG-13 rating
Their reasoning is, since Katsu is growing in size, there's an increased chance of younger kids getting in or "concerned parents" wandering in and seeing something "questionable."
And you know how those kinds of people are about complaining.
Add to that the increased awareness of "triggers."
And I know what you may be thinking..."People are just too sensitive and need to suck it up and let us have our art."
I wish it were that simple.
If someone goes off and has an attack because of something we presented (suicide, aggravated violence, etc) and they complain, the con is liable for whatever.
Bottom line: you become more noticeable and draw more attention the bigger you become.
So yeah...PG is gonna be the hard and fast rule.
Think of it as a challenge...because there are also a lot of great AMVs that are still PG.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 am

A challenge... Or a reason to abstain. Don't like it? Vote with your feet and your wallet. It really is the only way to combat "think of the children" warghbl.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 am

Is there anything the editors can do? I don't want to complain at you as you seem to have the same viewpoint as most editors, but can we contact the con chair or someone else to politely express our thoughts on it? I'm surprised people don't wave that liability to blame Katsucon with their badge sign-up. That or the ability to label certain panels 13+ might be a better system.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:00 am

Hawkman324 wrote:Is there anything the editors can do? I don't want to complain at you as you seem to have the same viewpoint as most editors, but can we contact the con chair or someone else to politely express our thoughts on it? I'm surprised people don't wave that liability to blame Katsucon with their badge sign-up. That or the ability to label certain panels 13+ might be a better system.
We have feedback panels and there's always Facebook (which I know they read).
Contacting the con chair directly might not be a good idea since that position is changing hands at the end of this con.
No convention can completely control what anyone does or sees when they enter the event so a waiver of the sort you're talking about is a sketchy proposition.
It's the same as saying, "You just might see some objectionable things during this event, some of which might trigger certain unwanted emotions or reactions, so we need you to agree that we won't be held liable."
That's a sure way for parents to not send their young teenage kids to these things, chaperoned or not.
We also can't account for emotional or mental disorders which is another can of worms altogether.

Anyway...we do exercise a rating system but for us to drop our rating to PG-13 would mean checking ID at the door, holding late screenings (possibly limited to one night since there's not enough time between Saturday night and Sunday morning to count votes, construct the award show, etc, never mind the attending editors are leaving and the majority of our audience is busy checking out).

As awareness of our presence grows, so does the exposure as well as the risk of the wrong person catching us at the wrong time and mucking things up for everyone.
I do NOT envy the con chair position at all.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:04 am

It's certainly a complicated issue... I'll think on it and I hope the editors will discuss it more at the convention as well.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:10 am

Hawkman324 wrote:Is there anything the editors can do? I don't want to complain at you as you seem to have the same viewpoint as most editors, but can we contact the con chair or someone else to politely express our thoughts on it? I'm surprised people don't wave that liability to blame Katsucon with their badge sign-up. That or the ability to label certain panels 13+ might be a better system.
IMO a boycott is the best way to get the point across. Would suck for the contest organizer, but if he's not willing to fight for quality over censorship it may be the only way we can help him build a case against this kind of thing. To be honest it's already been too strict for years, one of my videos, Rough Love, was cut one year because the song says "mangina"...

If a contest as large as Otakon can show my Evangelion comedy videos, then growth of the con is no excuse for forcing stricter content rules.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:18 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
IMO a boycott is the best way to get the point across. Would suck for the contest organizer, but if he's not willing to fight for quality over censorship it may be the only way we can help him build a case against this kind of thing. To be honest it's already been too strict for years, one of my videos, Rough Love, was cut one year because the song says "mangina"...
I can only fight so much before the people on the chain above me decide they're gonna replace me with someone who won't resist at all, which is partially how it went down at Anime Mid Atlantic.
I fought to the furthest extent of reason but their word is law and they're not backing down.
The most effective way to make your opinions and views known is by going to the con web site, Facebook page, Twitter, whatever is available.
I've explained this whole thing to death by now.
The con sets the standard, whether we like it or not, and we can only get away with so much before we're finally pulled aside and put in time-out...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:27 am

Deuce Loosely wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
I can only fight so much before the people on the chain above me decide they're gonna replace me with someone who won't resist at all, which is partially how it went down at Anime Mid Atlantic.
I fought to the furthest extent of reason but their word is law and they're not backing down.
The most effective way to make your opinions and views known is by going to the con web site, Facebook page, Twitter, whatever is available.
I've explained this whole thing to death by now.
The con sets the standard, whether we like it or not, and we can only get away with so much before we're finally pulled aside and put in time-out...
Then let them. If the community sees a long running organizer quit our get let go over censorship, I feel like most will not support that contest until it is fixed. If you don't stand your ground people will walk all over you.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”