MegaCon report

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
BishounenStalker
Org Profile

MegaCon report

Post by BishounenStalker » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:27 pm

It wasn't as much fun as 2000, but it was still as decent as can really be had in the southeast without being an exclusive anime Con (MegaCon is really aimed more toward comics and sci-fi).

1) Cosplay (sponsored by Anime Sushi) -- A circa 3-hr affair that I had not the energy to attend, nor did the room have seating to accomodate. Instead, I stalked cosplayers on my own before and after the contest. This year's exceptional participants included a Kingdom Hearts trio (Sora, Rikku, and Cloud), the entire Hellsing crew, Yomiko from Read or Die, a well-done D, assorted Harry Potter cast (including a really good Draco), Tifa Lockhart, and a Vash the Stampede.

2) Anime - What no respectable Con can go without. Screenings included Gundam SEED, RahXephon (Rah-ZEH-fon. I'm sick of people mispronouncing it), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Full Metal Panic!, and many more.

3) Dealer Room - The best and worst part of any Con. Sad to say that the percentage of anime vendors went down considerably from last year. Although in a way it's a good thing. I actually came home with money. Though in truth I only bought 3 items. The Gundam SEED OST, the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust OST, and "How to Draw Manga: Couples".

4) AMVs - The section you've all been waiting for! The contest was actually pretty damn good. Out of 39 entries, 17 judges' picks were screened before announcing the 7 winners. Two of the honorable mentions escape me, but one of them was a video to the anime One Piece, and I wish I knew the song title. Best of Comedy I THINK went to Marlex's "Spike's 11" (way to go! I laughed my ass off at that one!). Best of Drama went to Kwasek's "A Thousand Miles" (MoreThanToast RULES!). I forgot who won Best of Action, lack of sleep is setting in. I think it was "Angelic Gear Perfect", though. Best in Show went to Tom the Fish's "Quite a Crowd" (go Tom!).

I didn't win anything, but I still had plenty of fun. Truth be told, I only entered the contest to get my vids up on that big screen ^_^ And it paid off! Both of my vids made it into the 17 judges' picks that preceded the winners! (mine were the two Squaresoft videos for anyone who was there). My friend was sitting next to me, and when my vids came up, she was about to point to me and yell "she did it!" I told her I'd hold her Sesshoumaru plushie for ransom if she pointed me out. I'm actually glad I didn't win. I HATE being singled out of a crowd. Not to mention I'd feel weird being snuffed out as the only female AMV creator at the Con -_-

And apparently whoever made the playlists for the viewing rooms loved my "Best of Squaresoft" video quite a bit, as it was used as filler between a lot of anime. Ironically, I caught it for the first time on Saturday just before the screening of Gundam SEED (the video's song was the ending theme). I walked in on the end of it, thinking "That scene looks damn familiar....Holy crap, that's MINE!" Not to mention I met a couple of people at the Con who had my videos sitting on their hard drive ^_^ And when "Best of Squaresoft" was screened at the contest, there were people cheering down front at the beginning. I feel so loved! Though I find it a very strange surprise that that video got a better audience reaction than "What God Has Sent", which took me over 150 hours to make (and my first video o.o). Not to say everyone hated "What God Has Sent", but it didn't as much applause as "Best of Squaresoft" did ^_^

My other honorable picks included "Appetite for Dynamite" (I can't remember the creator's name!), Tom the Fish's "The Messenger", Rozard's (I THINK...he can kick me if I'm wrong) Ghost in the Shell to The Cars' "Drive", and a Big O video to a Fatboy Slim song (I don't know the title).

Well, that's my MegaCon report! Congrats to all who entered the contest (you got your videos screened at some point in the weekend, no matter if it was part of the contest or just filler)!
-- Rachel the Demon, Resident Quoter of Obscure Nostalgia
"Great. He can pick his teeth when he's done with us!" - Marina, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Current AMV: Somewhere On This Night

Snackpants
Org Profile

Post by Snackpants » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:33 pm

Well you got a few mixed up... *chuckle* It was a long day. :)
-Joey Snackpants, Esq.
www.snackpants.org

BishounenStalker
Org Profile

Post by BishounenStalker » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:36 pm

Gahhhhhhhhh! Lack of sleep! Refer to Snackpants' thread regarding the contest winners. I got "Behind the Pirate" and "Spike's 11"'s awards mixed up -_- In either case, way to go, you two! I thoroughly enjoyed both of those videos!
-- Rachel the Demon, Resident Quoter of Obscure Nostalgia
"Great. He can pick his teeth when he's done with us!" - Marina, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Current AMV: Somewhere On This Night

Return to “AMV Contests”