Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 pm

i like the term "fitting the spirit". shows a lot of heart. the main point of having an audience showing of an amv contest is to entertain them, right?

another term that could be tossed around is "anime-influenced" ... :jester:

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:07 pm

I dislike that caveat because it can lead to abuse. Im not saying it will be abused but can open the door to full on anime AMVs being dq'd for not "fitting the spirit" while also being able to override the anime to non anime ratio and allow 100% non anime videos in. This is a bad thing and I think that rule should be reconsidered.
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2018, Chairman 2019-2024, Retired

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Seijin_Dinger wrote:I dislike that caveat because it can lead to abuse. Im not saying it will be abused but can open the door to full on anime AMVs being dq'd for not "fitting the spirit" while also being able to override the anime to non anime ratio and allow 100% non anime videos in. This is a bad thing and I think that rule should be reconsidered.
Your interpretation is spot on, as that was exactly what I had in mind. As for abuse, the onus would entirely be on the coordinator (me) and the judges (of which there are usually 15+) jointly. Since the invokation of that clause would have to be agreed upon by so many people, is that clause really abuseable?

The overriding question to be asked when invoking the clause is "Does this meet (or not meet) the spirit of an AMV event, and is our event strengthened or weakened in admitting or rejecting it?" That's not a question asked trivially, and even Rider's vid would spark a vigorous debate as to whether it satisfies that metric.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I can see where abuse can come in, but even if the caveat wasn't there the prescreeners/coordinators/judges would probably shoot the video down in their scoring of the video anyways under a different pretense, so its not like it really makes a difference, its just nice that they're upfront about it and it gives you a major headsup that you might be taking a risk if you have a lot of non-anime sources in your video so you can plan accordingly.

For the flipside it seems unlikely that a lot of the judges/screeners would agree to allow a 100% non-anime video in unless the video was really awesome, and even then it'd still have a high hurdle to cross cause I know a lot of people who would still be like "its awesome but its not anime, so sorry, no." and if the screeners/judges had similar ratios of like-minded people it might be possible but statistically unlikely. Unless xStylus or another judge hasn't bullied the rest into following his opinion on all the videos, it should be fine.

persiandragon
Org Profile

Post by persiandragon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 pm

I uploaded my video that didn't get into the contest. you can see it in my profile, on youtube or a-m-v.org user name is persiandragon

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:Unless xStylus or another judge hasn't bullied the rest into following his opinion on all the videos, it should be fine.
When handling any issue, I present the issue to the judges along with my preliminary opinion and what the rules state on the matter. The judges then deliberate, and during that time I do not speak unless spoken to. Whatever the judges decide, that's the word.

As for judges bullying other judges, I can't recall any instances of that, and such individuals would be remembered and not invited back the following year.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 pm

xstylus wrote:The overriding question to be asked when invoking the clause is "Does this meet (or not meet) the spirit of an AMV event, and is our event strengthened or weakened in admitting or rejecting it?" That's not a question asked trivially, and even Rider's vid would spark a vigorous debate as to whether it satisfies that metric.
i will go ahead and put Bending Inferno out there as the example since i'm tired of dancing around it.

the fact that during both preshows the audience cheered as soon as Bending Inferno began because they recognized it to be Avatar should answer your question. and it received plenty of applause so, yes they were happy to view it. and i received this comment from a random viewer only a few days ago:
this one should have been one of the finals at Anime Expo 2012. It would had made it worth the unnecessary two hours of waiting in line for the tickets. When this was played during the pre-show of AMVs that did not make the cut, I actually thought they were playing last year's winners.
- misslauj

thanks :D if it hadn't been disqualified for not being anime then it most likely would have made finals. i was told it was favorited by the judges.
- Rider4ZMusicVideos

Really?! Disqualified because it was not a japanese animation?! That's messed up big time since it's as popular as any other japanese animation. LOL. Oh well, I would have voted for this had it been in the final.
- misslauj
i could imagine how the audience would react if The Legend of Korra, or Gargoyles, or ReBoot were to suddenly appear onscreen. people who attend anime conventions aren't strictly into anime only. no one is so narrow minded that they would deprive themselves of viewing a spectacular series just because it didn't fit the wikipedia definition of a specific genre. they would probably even enjoy a disney movie or two thrown in there :P

so you have to ask yourselves, is giving what the audience would enjoy more or less important than covering your hides over technicalities in the rules.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 pm

xstylus wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:Unless xStylus or another judge hasn't bullied the rest into following his opinion on all the videos, it should be fine.
When handling any issue, I present the issue to the judges along with my preliminary opinion and what the rules state on the matter. The judges then deliberate, and during that time I do not speak unless spoken to. Whatever the judges decide, that's the word.

As for judges bullying other judges, I can't recall any instances of that, and such individuals would be remembered and not invited back the following year.

Oops sorry, meant that more as a radical hypothetical scenario that would be rather unlikely, not a potential accusatory type statement or insinuation thats its happened before. <.< :sweat:

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
xstylus wrote:The overriding question to be asked when invoking the clause is "Does this meet (or not meet) the spirit of an AMV event, and is our event strengthened or weakened in admitting or rejecting it?" That's not a question asked trivially, and even Rider's vid would spark a vigorous debate as to whether it satisfies that metric.
i will go ahead and put Bending Inferno out there as the example since i'm tired of dancing around it.

the fact that during both preshows the audience cheered as soon as Bending Inferno began because they recognized it to be Avatar should answer your question. and it received plenty of applause so, yes they were happy to view it. and i received this comment from a random viewer only a few days ago:
this one should have been one of the finals at Anime Expo 2012. It would had made it worth the unnecessary two hours of waiting in line for the tickets. When this was played during the pre-show of AMVs that did not make the cut, I actually thought they were playing last year's winners.
- misslauj

thanks :D if it hadn't been disqualified for not being anime then it most likely would have made finals. i was told it was favorited by the judges.
- Rider4ZMusicVideos

Really?! Disqualified because it was not a japanese animation?! That's messed up big time since it's as popular as any other japanese animation. LOL. Oh well, I would have voted for this had it been in the final.
- misslauj
i could imagine how the audience would react if The Legend of Korra, or Gargoyles, or ReBoot were to suddenly appear onscreen. people who attend anime conventions aren't strictly into anime only. no one is so narrow minded that they would deprive themselves of viewing a spectacular series just because it didn't fit the wikipedia definition of a specific genre. they would probably even enjoy a disney movie or two thrown in there :P

so you have to ask yourselves, is giving what the audience would enjoy more or less important than covering your hides over technicalities in the rules.
Rider, the problem there is that it's an amv contest, not fmv contest. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fmv contests; just that if it's a contest for anime music videos, then it should stick to being just anime. Popularity of the source is irrelevant. That being said, showing a non-anime music video in the pre-show just exacerbates the issue.
ImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:34 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:Rider, the problem there is that it's an amv contest, not fmv contest. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fmv contests; just that if it's a contest for anime music videos, then it should stick to being just anime. Popularity of the source is irrelevant.
:idea: liiiiiggghhhht buullllllllb

Return to “AMV Contests”