Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:10 am

milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote: I mean, how does this video:

Majorly differ from the Big O video?

I'm really not trying to be a bitch, both videos are of great quality....but...Kevin got disqualified, and yet this video gets in with the same rule in place?
I'm not trying to get him DQ'd I'm just trying to point out the lack of categorization by judges and coordinators.
Not cool guys. :?
You're comparing apples and oranges...
because....Kevin got DQ'ed when James and Katy were still running the contest.
With Michael and Nikki running the contest is it COMPLETELY different. Not only is this a different year but the contest is run by different people.
Any questions or reasoning you might have or want to ask about why Kevin's video didn't make it way back in the day, but others did/vice versa, needs to directed towards James and Katy.
Micahel and Nikki weren't running the AMV show at that point in time.
My point is the fact that while it's their contest now, they kept the rule. Hell, they amended it to fit the new category! It was a basic rule that wasn't followed by the judges. Everyone keeps thinking this is a personal attack, but it really wasn't :/ I was simply pointing out a basic rule.
milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:I kinda want to see the "“Incepolis” by Lolilicious Designs" entry also since that could also easily be in violation of the same rule.
Just sayin' guys >.>
Follow your own rules :P
In defense of my own video :)...
I believe I edited my video in such a way that the focus is the relation between the music and video.
Keep in mind, the whole point of the 'parody' video rules section is to stop from 'parodies'. Meaning, slapping "The Hangover 2" Trailer track to Golden Boy should NOT be submitted to Comedy, but Fun category. The rules are not there to discourage creation of original work that might fall on the fine lines. It is there to discourage blatant parody videos from being in Comedy. (not even removal from contest, just re-category shuffling).

Here is a great example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tS-gd9eT30
Lord of the Rings Trailer music to Totoro. The video was made not to MOCK the original but to make something NEW.

You have to try to understand the semantics of the rule.
===
And of course, as Michael said, the rules are pretty old.
But regardless of how you feel you edited your video, would you call it a trailer in any way, shape or form? The rule specifically states that trailers should go into the Fun/OVA category. It's what it was made for. Hell, I'd say that's where the Totoro video should go :/ Regardless of what it was trying to do, audio from a trailer was used! As far as I'm concerned, unless they're syncing to the music IN the trailer and ignoring the spoken dialogue completely, it's still a trailer/parody.

I don't understand why everyone thinks I'm trying to harp on Michael :/
I understand that the rules are old. That's pretty damn obvious. My beef is the fact that the rules weren't just left alone, they were altered. Attention was brought to these specific set of rules and then they were changed to suit the new category and give a place for these videos.
And then the rule was ignored.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:14 am

I assume it's just the song, Mind Heist, not the actual trailer, edited to make an amv.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:17 am

milkmandan wrote: Madoka amv, i am looking forward to this ;)
@techninja did you get a chance to add ep 11 or 12 in there? or was it too close to the deadline?
I did manage to use clips from ep 11 and 12. I ended up staying up all that week to finish it and finished it and burned it the disc just in time to head to the post office to mail it them all in on the day of the deadline lol. I do have it uploaded to the org and youtube if you wanna check it out.

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:17 am

milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote: I mean, how does this video:

Majorly differ from the Big O video?

I'm really not trying to be a bitch, both videos are of great quality....but...Kevin got disqualified, and yet this video gets in with the same rule in place?
I'm not trying to get him DQ'd I'm just trying to point out the lack of categorization by judges and coordinators.
Not cool guys. :?
You're comparing apples and oranges...
because....Kevin got DQ'ed when James and Katy were still running the contest.
With Michael and Nikki running the contest is it COMPLETELY different. Not only is this a different year but the contest is run by different people.
Any questions or reasoning you might have or want to ask about why Kevin's video didn't make it way back in the day, but others did/vice versa, needs to directed towards James and Katy.
Micahel and Nikki weren't running the AMV show at that point in time.
Yes but rules are rules. It would be pointless and unfair to set them out if the coordinator/judges would have the discretion of bending them if they'd like to.

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 am

Radical_Yue wrote:It was a basic rule that wasn't followed by the judges.
Maybe the judges didn't feel that way at all. Maybe they saw all the fancy effects and said (this is AMtv-Pro). Your perception of videos may not always fall in line with others.

And yes, we all know you aren't directly attacking anyone.
Radical_Yue wrote: But regardless of how you feel you edited your video, would you call it a trailer in any way, shape or form? The rule specifically states that trailers should go into the Fun/OVA category. It's what it was made for.
I would never consider my video a "trailer". I never even posted the video up, I am curious now as to where you saw it.
Radical_Yue wrote:Hell, I'd say that's where the Totoro video should go :/ Regardless of what it was trying to do, audio from a trailer was used!
Now this is where I correct myself. Audio from the trailer was NOT used, if audio from the trailer was used, it would've included all the screaming and shouting from Frodo, orcs shooting arrows, magic and dragons. That would've been 'AUDIO from the trailer' and it only would've been 1 mins long. The Totoro video took the entire original track from the original artist's CD and did a video with that.

I did the same. I took an entire uncut unedited audio track and made something new with that.

===

Going along the same point then. If you say "Regardless of what it was trying to do, audio from a trailer was used!" then every AMV that has ever used a track that appeared in a movie trailer should now be in "fun/parody category".

Alright, lets take all the drama videos ever made with The Postal Service and slap a 'Fun/Parody' tag on them. :\ I can already name a few drama amvs that have used Such Great Heights or any other song from Postal Service. I wouldn't consider THOSE fun/parody videos :\
Radical_Yue wrote: As far as I'm concerned, unless they're syncing to the music IN the trailer and ignoring the spoken dialogue completely, it's still a trailer/parody.
Don't worry, i am syncin' ;)
Radical_Yue wrote: I understand that the rules are old. That's pretty damn obvious. My beef is the fact that the rules weren't just left alone, they were altered. Attention was brought to these specific set of rules and then they were changed to suit the new category and give a place for these videos.
And you point is a valid one and has been taken into note by Michael. As busy as he is, he actually listens, response to these threads and takes advice.
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:32 am

Pwolf wrote:I assume it's just the song, Mind Heist, not the actual trailer, edited to make an amv.
Its actually not Mind Heist and it needs a correction, I've replied to Nikki in my confirmation email but i haven't gotten a response. Ping her on PM as well.
Image Image

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 am

I know that you'll probably need the guy that handles the website stuff to do this, but make sure they update http://www.anime-expo.org/programming/amv-contest/ to include the 6th Finalist for all the categories. :P

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:36 am

tehninjaness wrote:I know that you'll probably need the guy that handles the website stuff to do this, but make sure they update http://www.anime-expo.org/programming/amv-contest/ to include the 6th Finalist for all the categories. :P
lemme fix that

update: fixed
http://www.anime-expo.org/programming/amv-contest/
Image Image

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:48 am

Ryvannis wrote: Yes but rules are rules. It would be pointless and unfair to set them out if the coordinator/judges would have the discretion of bending them if they'd like to.
It really depends on perception and interpretation. I've had discussions with people all the time about videos making it into categories they don't believe should be there, but to me, it's still fitting. So it really depends on what the judges think of the video. I also know first hand (currently judging IC4 and previous contests) how judges tastes and interpretations differ. What I think of a video can be vastly different than someone else.

That said, and what i mentioned earlier and in my rant many moons ago, the addition of the new category really screws all this up because it's not judged and awarded the same. There's always going to be a contest where people disagree about what videos belong where, but AX has a category that doesn't get judged and awarded the same as the rest, and that's the heart of the issue. It's not about wither or not the video is in the wrong category, it's that the video can win something that the other videos can't. That's what makes it unfair and potentially damaging.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:59 am

milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:It was a basic rule that wasn't followed by the judges.
Maybe the judges didn't feel that way at all. Maybe they saw all the fancy effects and said (this is AMtv-Pro). Your perception of videos may not always fall in line with others.

And yes, we all know you aren't directly attacking anyone.
No matter how a person feels, if the video fits the criteria then it should be placed into the correct category. If you were to put Wedding Rings and the Big O video side by side you could easily tell there is a major similarity.

What's the big deal with moving it from one category to another anyways? So many people here claim to "not be in it for the money," so why shouldn't the video be in the category it's most suited for? Just a simple question >.>
milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote: But regardless of how you feel you edited your video, would you call it a trailer in any way, shape or form? The rule specifically states that trailers should go into the Fun/OVA category. It's what it was made for.
I would never consider my video a "trailer". I never even posted the video up, I am curious now as to where you saw it.
lol, the only reason your video came into the spotlight was because the basic name sounded like a cookie cutter Inception trailer video and I thought having a look at it along with the Big O trailer might have been a good idea. I apologize for the confusion. I never claimed to have seen it, but due to obvious name is from obvious source, I assumed.
That's my bad and I once more apologize.
milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Hell, I'd say that's where the Totoro video should go :/ Regardless of what it was trying to do, audio from a trailer was used!
Now this is where I correct myself. Audio from the trailer was NOT used, if audio from the trailer was used, it would've included all the screaming and shouting from Frodo, orcs shooting arrows, magic and dragons. That would've been 'AUDIO from the trailer' and it only would've been 1 mins long. The Totoro video took the entire original track from the original artist's CD and did a video with that.

I did the same. I took an entire uncut unedited audio track and made something new with that.
Fine then, it's not a trailer.
It's a parody.

Or at least that's what the original editor says.

Once more, I was never trying to crusade against your video at all. It was more of a "Hey, if they let this in, there may be other problems out there. Oh, here is a video that sounds like another Inception trailer video. We may want to take a closer look to make sure this didn't happen elsewhere."

milkmandan wrote: Going along the same point then. If you say "Regardless of what it was trying to do, audio from a trailer was used!" then every AMV that has ever used a track that appeared in a movie trailer should now be in "fun/parody category".

Alright, lets take all the drama videos ever made with The Postal Service and slap a 'Fun/Parody' tag on them. :\ I can already name a few drama amvs that have used Such Great Heights or any other song from Postal Service. I wouldn't consider THOSE fun/parody videos :\
Let's be honest, there are some tracks out there that come with the automatic association with a movie :/ Hell, nowhere in the Totoro video description does it say "Lord of the Rings" but the audio creates an automatic association for you.

I'm nowhere near saying that every video with a song used in a trailer should be a trailor/parody. But if the video itself resonates along the same lines, then it should be in that category. And by "audio from a trailer" I mean just that. Either incredibly well-known trailer audio that is used to create a video in a parody/trailer fashion or actual spoken dialogue.
milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote: As far as I'm concerned, unless they're syncing to the music IN the trailer and ignoring the spoken dialogue completely, it's still a trailer/parody.
Don't worry, i am syncin' ;)
Looking forward to seeing it ;p

milkmandan wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote: I understand that the rules are old. That's pretty damn obvious. My beef is the fact that the rules weren't just left alone, they were altered. Attention was brought to these specific set of rules and then they were changed to suit the new category and give a place for these videos.
And you point is a valid one and has been taken into note by Michael. As busy as he is, he actually listens, response to these threads and takes advice.
Good to know, can't wait to see it.

Return to “AMV Contests”