Animethon 18 AMV Contest - FINALISTS

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Animethon 18 AMV Contest - FINALISTS

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun May 15, 2011 3:01 am

Hi All,

Enclosed is a list of the finalists for the contest. Please note that this year the quality of videos was exceptionally high and as such the panel of judges had to make some tough decisions. The Contest will take place on Saturday, while on Sunday all accepted entries will be played followed by the winners.

For all those coming, since the main events room is huge you'll not have an issues getting in so I won't be doing reserve seating.

FINALISTS (Note, only submission names are used to keep the videos a surprise - If you submitted two, unless otherwise indicated, only one of those entries made it in and you'll have to come to the contest or wait for the results to find out which one!):

Andre Marentette
AnnaZoey
Aquiline Studios (Scintilla)
Brad DeMoss
Carman27
CornDog VidVids (haunter103)
Corpsegoddess
D.Emblem Productions
Drewaconclusion (2 video)
Flame-X
Galia & Kitty/~ K & G ~
Hagaren Viper (2 videos)
Ileia/CornDog VidVids (2 videos)
Infinity Squared
jubblets
jubjub2
Lightbulb Factory
MysteriousRyder
Purplepolecat
Rspectcopyrightmyass
s0matic
setsuna783
Shin (2 videos)
SOGESNAKE
SPK
StarTrinity009
Studio Hybrid (Nic Neidenbach)
Vellure
Warlike Swans

Vlad G Pohnert
Animethon 18 AMV Contest Coordinator

Once again, I'll be running Animthon's AMV Contest! This year I'll be using a different system to group the videos for Judging to make it fair as possible for the diverse amount of AMVs from all over.

I've reprinted the rules from the Web Site here:

OVERVIEW

The Animethon 18 Anime Music Video (AMV) Contest is a chance for fans to showcase their creative talents in the form of music videos and is open to anyone who may wish to enter.

Because of time constraints, there will be a list of contest finalists released prior to the event. All efforts will be made to ensure every accepted entry is shown during the course of the convention to the audience.

In order to better accommodate the diversity and variety of AMVs, and provide a fairer playing field for judging, the traditional AMV fixed categories have been eliminated and replaced with a larger option of elements that make up the essence of the AMV (i.e. Dramatic, Artistic, Parody, Trailer, Effect Oriented, etc) found on the entry form. Once all entries have be received after the deadline, all the selected elements will be tabulated and all accepted entries will be grouped into the top six most common elements for judging. The best of each of these groups will be awarded a Category Award. There will also be other awards that all accepted entries will be eligible for.

All entries must meet all the general and submission rules as stated below. Entries must be received (in our hands) by Friday, July 1, 2011. Entries may be mailed via the regular postal system to the following address:

Animethon 18 AMV Contest
c/o Vlad G Pohnert
1708 – 81 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6K 2E8
Canada

Submissions will also be accepted via the contest’s FTP site (as outlined under submission formats). NO SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE CONVENTION.

Please take the time to read both the general and submission rules FULLY so that your entries do not get disqualified by not meeting any of the requirements. If you have any questions or concerns about any of the rules or the contest itself, amv@animethon.org

SUMMARY OF AWARDS

Category Awards:
Up to six Awards. Categories will be determined after the Submission Deadline.

AMV Contest Coordinator Choice Award
Awarded to a video that has not won any other award as chosen by the AMV Contest Coordinator

Grand Prize Awards:
Judges’ Best Overall
Audience Favorite

Best “Made in Alberta” Award
To recognize the talent of Anime Music Video creators in the province of Alberta.

GENERAL RULES

1. Video must be a minimum length of thirty (30) seconds and no longer then six (6) minutes (including any titles or opening/closing sequences) to qualify. Videos over six (6) minutes may be accepted at the AMV Contest Coordinator's discretion.

2. A maximum of two (2) video entries will be accepted from one individual or a group.

3. All video entries must be accompanied by a filled out submission form either in hard copy or electronic format.

4. All AMVs submitted must be the works of the person or group as listed on the submissions form. If submitted AMVs are found to be the works of another creator (stolen or plagiarized), the videos will be disqualified and the entrant may be banned from future Animethon events.

5. Videos must use at least 60% of anime content. This includes the use of anime computer-generated animation in TV, OVA's, movies and anime related video games.

6. Videos must use at least 60% of external music or songs (i.e., not part of the original audio track of the video source) with the exception of trailers that may be a combination of external dialogue and music. The other 40% may be any combination of dialogue and/or music.

7. Anime Music Videos that use footage with subtitles from fan-subtitled anime or commercial studio logos will not be accepted. Intentional self created subtitles, parody logos and any other text incorporated into the video is fine.

8. Since the videos will be shown to a public audience at the event, all videos must be rated either G (General) PG (Parental Guidance) or 14-A (Suitable for viewing by persons 14 years of age or older) as defined by the Alberta Film Ratings board. Thus, videos should not portray explicit nudity and/or excessive graphic violence or foul language. Any video that does not meet these requirements will be disqualified.

9. Credits will be allowed into the contest PROVIDED they appear at the end of the video and do not overlay over any part of the video. They will be removed for the pre-judging, but will be left in for the actual showing of the contest. The AMV Contest Coordinators reserves the right to disqualify any video that is does not meet any of the above criteria or has excessively long credits.

10. Previously released videos (as shown publicly at conventions, clubs and contests or for download on the internet) must have been premiered after January 1st, 2011 to qualify.

11. By submitting a completed entry form or replying to the confirmation email you allow Animethon and the Alberta Society for Asian Popular Arts (ASAPA) the right to use any entry you submit for display and/or promotional purposes.

12. All decisions or ramifications of any of the contest rules as made at the discretion of the AMV Contest Coordinator are final. All judging methods and decisions are final.

13. Animethon reserves the right to update or make changes to these rules at anytime. The rules as published on Animethon’s website(http://www.animethon.org) are considered the official rules.

SUBMISSION

All videos are required to be in at least a resolution of 640 x 480 and a frame rate of 23.97 or better. Audio shall be at a sampling rate of no lower then 44,100 Hz.

The following formats are acceptable:

avi: Uncompressed, HuffyUV, Lagarith, DiviX/Xvid (no beta version) or DV
mkv: Matroska container is acceptable with codecs as listed for AVI
mpg: Mpeg2 codec
mp4: H.264 video compression
wmv: Accepted PROVIDED the video is encoded in an acceptable bit rate and resolution size at the discretion of the AMV Contest Coordinator.

If you have problems sending your entry in any of the above formats, please contact us.

Mail in Entries:
Using accepted codec as listed recorded on CD-R / DVD+R / DVD-R media. Copy the files onto the disc directly (as raw data). Please do not send us an authored DVD of your videos. Make sure to label your disc with your submission name and the title of the AMVs.

FTP uploads:
Videos may also be uploaded to the contest FTP site in an acceptable codec as listed below to the following Site:

To Upload your entry(s), follow the instructions listed below:
1. E-mail amv@animethon.org view it with the subject “Animethon AMV Contest Upload Request”.
2. Include in the e-mail a text version of the filled out Entry form (Placing all the same information as on the form into a text file is acceptable). Make sure to label your video files with your submission name and title of the Video.
3. An e-mail will be sent back to you with site, user and password instructions for you to upload your entry(s) to.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: Animethon 18 AMV Contest

Post by Ileia » Sun May 15, 2011 5:45 am

You will definitely have something from me. :o
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun May 15, 2011 8:07 am

Will try to send something! \o/

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun May 15, 2011 11:25 am

I got nuthin' :?
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun May 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I got nuthin' :?
Like that's anything new :P

Vlad

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm

10. Previously released videos (as shown publicly at conventions, clubs and contests or for download on the internet) must have been premiered after January 1st, 2011 to qualify.
Well, so much for that. Even my newest video I made isnt before this date.

Good luck to everyone else.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun May 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Make a new one, plenty of time :wink:

Vlad

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 pm

I'll just send you one of my IC vids Vlad :uhoh:
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Make a new one, plenty of time :wink:

Vlad
^^

I would if my schedule would allow me.

I'll see what I can do.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 pm

I've been sending to this contest every odd year since 2005. Why should I break the pattern now?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “AMV Contests”