Oni-Con Promo Contest!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
moonglaive
Org Profile

Oni-Con Promo Contest!

Post by moonglaive » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:13 pm

(posted by Alyssa - www.oni-con.com)

Oni-Con Promotional Anime Music Video Promo Contest
Rules and Guidelines

1. All entries must be original content made by the entrant(s).

2. Videos will be judged on the following categories. Theme, Editing, Originality, and general spiffiness.

3. All videos should be anime based in their visual content. Basically, put anime content to music, no mainstream American content such as Disney or Dreamworks stuff. Video game fmvs and sequences are allowed, so long as they are anime based. (Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon, etc.) Please no live action videos.

4. All videos must be put on to a viewable format (duh.)

5. All entries must be received by June 15, 2003.

6. Judging will be done by myself and other selected judges.

7. All judges rulings are final. Do not come and bitch to me because you did not win. This will make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I am angry.

Any questions or comments may be directed to me (Lee Wilson). My E-mail addy is LMagus@aol.com. My AIM is LMagus. MY icq #I is 40310799.

moonglaive
Org Profile

Prizes and such

Post by moonglaive » Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:07 pm

Free entry to convention, free official Oni-Con t-shirt, showcase winning video during banquet, and optional AMV panel.

All entries will be shown during the convention ^_^

moonglaive
Org Profile

What kind of prizes?

Post by moonglaive » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:23 am

What kind of prizes are normally offered? What would y'all like to receive for winning a contest like this?

I'm pretty sure we have enough space to put the winners up on the Oni-Con site ^_^

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:48 pm

Awards certificates and/or trophies ain't bad. Some cons make do with a pat on the back and the resulting street cred the winners get.

Maybe a DVD or two from someone in the dealers' room if they're willing to sponsor it.

I'd watch out for the "viewable format" rule. That's kinda vague. Unless the person in charge of producing the finished reel is up to dealing with a mixed bag of formats and videotapes, it could easily be a nightmare.

If you're capable of dealing with:

MiniDV
8mm (including the incompatible Digital8 )
VHS
S-VHS
RealMedia
Windows Media
MPEG-1
MPEG-2
DivX
XviD
AVI
MOV (Quicktime)
Flash
VCD
SVCD
DVD-R
and all associated codecs with these files and formats

...then I wish y'all luck and success. If not, I'd seriously recommend limiting entires to formats you know you can handle and are confident can be output to a show reel, be it on videotape or played through a computer.

Good luck!

Guyver2019
Org Profile

Post by Guyver2019 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:29 pm

Also, you didn't specify the award areas. Such as Drama, Action, Comedy, ya know the basics and if you will be hosting a seperation between pro and newbie vids, number of entries is another thing u should specify. You can get enveloped by people dumping their entire life's work on u, hoping that u may like one of them. Other than that though, I look forward to participating. :D

moonglaive
Org Profile

Categories and awards

Post by moonglaive » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:27 am

All the listed formats are fine! We can put them all into a unified format later for showcase purposes...

Categories: Comedy, Drama, and for lack of a better word; Action

There will be separate awards given to the winning novice and expert entrants.

There will be physical awards as well as those listed, trophy or plaque of some sort.

Limit no more than 3 videos per entrant, and no more than 2 videos in a specific category.

You can e-mail amvdirector@oni-con.com for information on where to send them!

moonglaive
Org Profile

Post by moonglaive » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:36 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for advertising this contest?

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:42 pm

moonglaive wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for advertising this contest?
Posting here and the AMV mailing list is a good start. Also, make sure there is some mention about it on your website in nice big letters. Since I live in the TX, I'll probably entering this contest and maybe going. Lemme know if you need any help with an AMV panel. :D

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:22 am

Wow! You guys sure know how to treat the creators (free admission, shirts, etc.). Unfortunately, I probably won't enter since I don't like to submit videos to contests I don't attend since it'd be unfortunate to have a video not shown for a creator at the convention because one of my videos bumped him out or whatnot. Also kind of looks bad not to be there to accept your award.

I guess I shouldn't say I won't attend since I don't even know when it is. I guess I should look at a schedule first and look at the guests and stuff. In any case, I just wanted to say that you guys look like you're going in the right direction. Keep it up!

Daniel ^_^
Ninja Gaijin Productions

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:29 am

Forgot to ask...what's this division between "novice" and "expert?" What would entail "novice" and what would entail "expert?" If it's something like AWA Master's vs. Expo, I know what category I am in.

Daniel ^_^
Ninja Gaijin Productions

Psst MJ - If you attend I may be able to work something out. I'd be willing to *pay* to hang out again (ala Ushicon since we didn't do anything there haha).

Return to “AMV Contests”