Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest rules are up!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest rules are up!

Post by DigitalPanther » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Niotex wrote:AMTV-Pro fixed this year?

I don't really see why you didn't just call "Fun" other. As it's just everything that doesn't fit into the already designated categories. Not strictly "fun videos" as the name of the category seems to imply. Thus the name and description of the category are contradicting each other.

It would be nice to know what the reasoning is behind not letting "fun" video's contend for best of show.

I'll more then likely be attending, but if I'll submit anything depends on certain aspects of the contest being fixed or not. The whole "AMTV-Pro judges are looking for Nostromo type videos when judging" thing kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Not my words by the way, one of the attending [anon] judges told me that him/herself.
And here comes the first volley by Niotex. Was wondering what you would find exception with. {edit} This was meant playfully not as hostile. I have a somewhat sarcastic sense of humor. {end edit}

Its called Fun because "other" sounded too generic.

The reason for Fun not being eligible for the Best of Show prize is explained quite clearly in the rules. Section 12 sums it up pretty succinctly.

Regarding your boycotting the AMTV-Pro category because one judge told you they were "looking for Nostromo type videos"... I am pretty sure who you are referring to and that is one person's opinion. I have also mentioned Nostromo as an example because Nostromo's pieces are clear examples of editing and polish that goes above and beyond. Nostromo's pieces are listed as an example not the standard. "Attack of The Otaku" is another excellent example. "Dance Dance Celebration" still another excellent example. If you have a thing against Nostromo and or that style of video editing that is on you. I am sorry that the comments of ONE of our judges "left a bad taste in [your] mouth". That was one judge out of more than 10. We have selected judges from a diverse range of tastes and skill levels in an effort to be as balanced as we can.

I am sorry that the rules as they stand, do not meet your satisfaction. If the rules bother you enough that you don't want to enter, then please don't. It is your choice

-DP
Last edited by DigitalPanther on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:50 pm

I think a better idea would've been to not have this new category (since it's not judged for best of show or any other category) and just nix the type of videos that fit the rather BROAD description. 99% of the videos in that description are going to be comedy videos. Pretty much every comedy video Tim Park has ever produced fits that description. Hell, 90% of all comedy videos fit that description. While i applaud you for getting rid of the shitty AMV Hell type shit, making a separate category with such broad rules is only going to open the flood gates once the contest finalists are announce. "OMG YOU LET THAT VIDEO IN BUT MOVED ME TO "FUN"?!?!?!?!"

"Fun" is a terrible name for the category as well. What's going to happen when a not so fun video (like Niotex's last year) is put into that category and people get confused by "WTF IS THIS DOING IN "FUN" THIS ISN'T FUN! THIS IS FREAKY!" The category should be "Other" or even "OVA" would better imo.

Instead of using other videos as examples (like Nostromo or every video Suberunker has ever made. not to mention is shows bias and the last thing we need is more drama about bias... well, i could care less about AX at this point, i've been done with AX for years...), list out the requirements for each category CLEARLY so both the participants and the judges know what they are. Stop attacking your editor base out right and work with them. Mitch's concerns are real and a lot of people want to know if those issues are going to be fixed, myself included. Step up to the plate and do your job. Make the contest better by working with the editors instead of pushing them away.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Well, everyone's got their own opinions and (i believe) are all right in one way or another, but i think it'd be a better idea to let this year's competition play out as it will with the new changes instead of jumping to any conclusions.

If how this competition is run always drives "you" crazy then "you" should consider not partaking and save people a lot of grief. Not trying to point fingers, it's just gotten old.

...and if i'm smart i'll keep out of this thread this year round.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Rider4Z wrote:If how this competition is run always drives "you" crazy then "you" should consider not partaking and save people a lot of grief. Not trying to point fingers, it's just gotten old.
if you want to have a crappy contest every year like it's been (well, unless you win every year, i guess one wouldn't care in that case) and have it be considered the most corrupt and bias contest in the world... sure, just don't participate.

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:17 am

Pwolf wrote:I think a better idea would've been to not have this new category (since it's not judged for best of show or any other category) and just nix the type of videos that fit the rather BROAD description. 99% of the videos in that description are going to be comedy videos. Pretty much every comedy video Tim Park has ever produced fits that description. Hell, 90% of all comedy videos fit that description. While i applaud you for getting rid of the shitty AMV Hell type shit, making a separate category with such broad rules is only going to open the flood gates once the contest finalists are announce. "OMG YOU LET THAT VIDEO IN BUT MOVED ME TO "FUN"?!?!?!?!"

"Fun" is a terrible name for the category as well. What's going to happen when a not so fun video (like Niotex's last year) is put into that category and people get confused by "WTF IS THIS DOING IN "FUN" THIS ISN'T FUN! THIS IS FREAKY!" The category should be "Other" or even "OVA" would better imo.

Instead of using other videos as examples (like Nostromo or every video Suberunker has ever made. not to mention is shows bias and the last thing we need is more drama about bias... well, i could care less about AX at this point, i've been done with AX for years...), list out the requirements for each category CLEARLY so both the participants and the judges know what they are. Stop attacking your editor base out right and work with them. Mitch's concerns are real and a lot of people want to know if those issues are going to be fixed, myself included. Step up to the plate and do your job. Make the contest better by working with the editors instead of pushing them away.
I have pretty much already answered most of the questions you raised. I am working to address the concerns brought up previously and last year as best I can. The creation of the extra category was in direct response to editor feedback, after many many editors came to me expressing their concerns about videos like the short attention span theater "AMV HELL" type vids. If you guys are really that much against calling it "fun" then changing it to "other" is something we will consider for next year. Or OVA (which is actually a really good idea, thank you for it.) The category as a whole is an experiment. (the other, unpublished, reason it is not in the best of show eligibility.)
While I am sorry that you appear to feel that this is some sort of assault against you all and me supposedly "pushing away" the editors, nothing could be further from the truth.

It is my sincere hope to avoid the drama. While I am willing to adjust what and where i can (where warranted), at this point the rules stand as published.

Corrupt? Biased? OK this has officially dropped to the level of trolling. I will say one thing to this and then I will remove myself from this argument as I do not like to feed the trolls. That one thing is this. I have worked from the first day I took this position to avoid Bias, that is one of the reasons I do my best to get a varied judge base and do not vote in the judging, acting only as a tie breaker. I am sincerely sorry you feel this way. As for corruption...that would be the very reason I took this position to prevent the perceived and in some cases actual corruption left over from the previous administration.

-DP

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 am

DigitalPanther wrote: Corrupt? Biased? OK this has officially dropped to the level of trolling. I will say one thing to this and then I will remove myself from this argument as I do not like to feed the trolls. That one thing is this. I have worked from the first day I took this position to avoid Bias, that is one of the reasons I do my best to get a varied judge base and do not vote in the judging, acting only as a tie breaker. I am sincerely sorry you feel this way. As for corruption...that would be the very reason I took this position to prevent the perceived and in some cases actual corruption left over from the previous administration.
I don't mean to troll, i'm just calling it based on what i've gathered over the years from other editors. I personally haven't been involved in the contest in several years because of that and i haven't heard much different honestly. Your attitude towards editors like Mitch who try to make the contest better doesn't help that, IMO. You're hostile, it doesn't make you or the contest look any better.

Anyway, I don't want to get into a huge discussion and cause more drama before the contest has really even begun, it's past that already. There's really no real use so lets see what happens after the contest. Good luck.

Hofuzz
Org Profile

Post by Hofuzz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 am

CASH!!!! :awesome:
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

suberunker
Org Profile

Post by suberunker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Funny how Football!! is considered "Original content or seriously modified content videos". I don't remember much original or modified content in that video...

Funny how Wizard of Ozaka was allowed in the Comedy category before....

As Pwolf said before, if there is anything in the FUN category, it will likely be very close to Comedy. And anyone moved to the FUN category will complain that they've been banished to the land of "No Best-of-Show". Doesn't matter to me because I wouldn't enter, but the restriction to keep the FUN category out of the "Best of Show" competition does not sound like a good idea.
CLARENCE CARTER!
CLARENCE CARTER!
CLARENCE CARTER!
OOOOHHH SHIT!

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Why is it that every year, we go through with this? <<

I can understand the issue of last year's vids with no editing done to them, but DP just trying to make it as best as he can.

I can see both sides of this story. But I think everyone needs to realize that AMVs and AMV contests are just a hobby. DP is a volunteer who loves AMVs just as much as we do. That's why he works so hard on his own time to make this happen.

And no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. And when those mistakes are made, we learn from them. That's what makes us all human. He's trying something new to test the waters. Let us see how it goes and if it doesn't work well, then he'll try something else next year. Simple as that.

And also, from Niotex's POV, DP may wrong and if he is, let him learn from his past mistakes instead of causing drama even before the contest even begins. Some people learn from experience. How can one learn without going through the experience?

It's not like this AMV contest will be Anime Expo's very last one. It will continue for years and years and each year, we learn something...

So...can we please stop the drama already? =/

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Hofuzz wrote:CASH!!!! :awesome:
|:> i'm glad i wasn't the first one to point that out XD

Return to “AMV Contests”