Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest rules are up!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest rules are up!

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:As an editor, unless the music aspect of a video is unencumbered by traditional copyright, you can't actually consent to rule #7. You lack the power to grant those things unconditionally on the behalf of others.
Lawyers had us put it in several years ago. It has been there since long before I took over the contest. Its to cover our butts. The music aspect is covered by the ascap fees we pay every year anyway.

-DP
Unless the editor pays for the rights himself, he isn't legally able to grant them to you - it holds no water. :lol: I'd suggest contacting a more competent lawyer.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

LC_Lapen
Org Profile

Post by LC_Lapen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Nice. Was wondering when we'd get the RUURUS up.

Gotta few things to ask again:

1) With the addition of the 'Fun' Category, does that mean the total number of finalist videos for each category is going to drop to 6 or even *gasp* 5?

2) Michael, I'm reading the RUURUS and I'm still seeing HuffYUV as an acceptable codec. Weren't you going to nix that one off the list? I seem to recall last year my HuffYUVs gave you a hard time.

3) There still isn't an "Expiration Date" on AMVs where you can't enter a video made over certain amount of time ago, right? I don't have any myself, just want to get a handle on how wide the playing field is.

Other than that, it seems like everything's set. Having the entry form limited to 4 now is really making me nitpick my potential AMV projects (in a good way). Everything else I'm curious about will reveal itself in time I suppose. After all, there's No way Of Knowing In Advance. *wink* *wink*.
*Sig Under Construction*

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 pm

LC_Lapen wrote:Other than that, it seems like everything's set. Having the entry form limited to 4 now is really making me nitpick my potential AMV projects (in a good way). Everything else I'm curious about will reveal itself in time I suppose. After all, there's No way Of Knowing In Advance. *wink* *wink*.
i see what you did there...

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 pm

LC_Lapen wrote:Nice. Was wondering when we'd get the RUURUS up.

1) With the addition of the 'Fun' Category, does that mean the total number of finalist videos for each category is going to drop to 6 or even *gasp* 5?

2) Michael, I'm reading the RUURUS and I'm still seeing HuffYUV as an acceptable codec. Weren't you going to nix that one off the list? I seem to recall last year my HuffYUVs gave you a hard time.

3) There still isn't an "Expiration Date" on AMVs where you can't enter a video made over certain amount of time ago, right? I don't have any myself, just want to get a handle on how wide the playing field is.

Other than that, it seems like everything's set. Having the entry form limited to 4 now is really making me nitpick my potential AMV projects (in a good way). Everything else I'm curious about will reveal itself in time I suppose. After all, there's No way Of Knowing In Advance. *wink* *wink*.
I think I posted this on the AX Forums already but for those that don't peruse them.
We aren't dropping the finalists per category to 5 we are dropping them to 6 to make room. For those doing the math that means we have a total AMV net gain of two videos in the presentation.

Regarding HuffYUV...yeah...I knew I forgot something. To be honest it has been hit or miss with that codec with some working awesomely and some not. I am going to give it one more year to see if the new utilities I have will keep things smooth. if not I may nix it next year...but then I hope to be able to accept Hi-Def next year if I get my new system built this year.

While we don't have a formal "expiration date" we would hope you would send us your best that hasn't been entered before. If you have a totally killer Ranma 1/2 VS Bubblegum Crisis video that you made back in 99 and have never entered it in our contest before, then I encourage you to submit it.

As for the subliminal messaging, we are still working that part out. It depends on how many days we get that venue for. THAT however, is a whole other topic.
-DP

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:As an editor, unless the music aspect of a video is unencumbered by traditional copyright, you can't actually consent to rule #7. You lack the power to grant those things unconditionally on the behalf of others.
Lawyers had us put it in several years ago. It has been there since long before I took over the contest. Its to cover our butts. The music aspect is covered by the ascap fees we pay every year anyway.

-DP
Unless the editor pays for the rights himself, he isn't legally able to grant them to you - it holds no water. :lol: I'd suggest contacting a more competent lawyer.
Actually thats not correct. The ascap fees cover the performance at our venue. So in that sense, you are correct, it probably doesn't hold water. However, I am not a lawyer, nor do i claim to be one. If its unenforcable then it shouldn't matter. Ignore it and submit your entries. Or don't. It's your choice.
-DP

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:

I think I posted this on the AX Forums already but for those that don't peruse them.
We aren't dropping the finalists per category to 5 we are dropping them to 6 to make room. For those doing the math that means we have a total AMV net gain of two videos in the presentation.

Regarding HuffYUV...yeah...I knew I forgot something. To be honest it has been hit or miss with that codec with some working awesomely and some not. I am going to give it one more year to see if the new utilities I have will keep things smooth. if not I may nix it next year...but then I hope to be able to accept Hi-Def next year if I get my new system built this year.

While we don't have a formal "expiration date" we would hope you would send us your best that hasn't been entered before. If you have a totally killer Ranma 1/2 VS Bubblegum Crisis video that you made back in 99 and have never entered it in our contest before, then I encourage you to submit it.

As for the subliminal messaging, we are still working that part out. It depends on how many days we get that venue for. THAT however, is a whole other topic.
-DP
In my honest opinion, I would prefer the main events room over the Nokia just for the fact that I have to turn my head to the right or left THE ENTIRE CONTEST just to watch the videos. The contest reshowing last year in the main events was a life saver for my neck.

I know the Nokia is where American Idol winners are made, but I don't want to snap my neck anymore. :cry:

But the thrill of just having a video in the Nokia is awesome, so regardless of my opinion, I'd still like the editors and fans to have that experience.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:LOL, I just mentioned those as obvious examples. Another good one would be an entry that was in the comedy category last year, "YTMND AMV - Fad of Princely Caliber" by Drew Brisco.

-DP
fixed
That Drew Briscoe is a pretty nifty editor. Worked on VG5 we did. God bless Mr. Briscoe.
ImageImage

machina21
Org Profile

Post by machina21 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:

-DP
In my honest opinion, I would prefer the main events room over the Nokia just for the fact that I have to turn my head to the right or left THE ENTIRE CONTEST just to watch the videos. The contest reshowing last year in the main events was a life saver for my neck.

I know the Nokia is where American Idol winners are made, but I don't want to snap my neck anymore. :cry:

But the thrill of just having a video in the Nokia is awesome, so regardless of my opinion, I'd still like the editors and fans to have that experience.
I prefer Nokia for two reasons:

1. My ass doesn't hurt after sitting for two and a half hours

2. Candy :awesome:

I guess it comes down what you can stand more: your ass or your neck aching. I just think the editor section isnt in a good spot. When I went in '08 , i got a spot further back and I was cool. But thats just me.
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 pm

machina21 wrote:I guess it comes down what you can stand more: your ass or your neck aching. I just think the editor section isnt in a good spot. When I went in '08 , i got a spot further back and I was cool. But thats just me.
x2

and score one for Mr. Briscoe |:>

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn24 ... rTroll.jpg
Amazing. :awesome:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “AMV Contests”