Otakon 2022 - AMV x Theater

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
VicBond007
Org Profile

Otakon 2022 - AMV x Theater

Post by VicBond007 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:13 am

IRON EDITOR
Who:
BecauseImBored1 returns to Otakon to defend her Iron Editor title against JMI Productions...who is also defending his title win from last year...it's complicated.

What:
Two AMV editors spend two hours editing an AMV in front of a live audience. No pressure. There will also be plenty of audience participation events.

How?
Each contestant will be given 6 anime sources, and all 6 must be used. Each contestant is allowed to cut their audio ahead of time and bring it with them to the event. They may bring multiple tracks if they so desire, as no audio will be provided during the event. In addition, each editor must use at least 1 second of EACH secret ingredient.

Sources:
Keeping with Otakon's theme of "Time Skip", Iron Editor's theme will be "What's old is new again", with the sources being classics that my old-self grew up with, and their modern re-imaginings.
End of Evangelion / Evangelion 3.0+1.0
Sailor Moon SuperS / Sailor Moon Eternal movie 2
Dragon Ball Z: The Legendary Super Saiyan / Dragon Ball Super: Broly
Plus TWO (related) secret sources!

When and Where:
Saturday, July 30th, 4:15pm, AMV Theater (time and date subject to change).

Why?
Free badge if you compete. Free medal if you win!

-----------------------
AMV THEATER INFO
Otakon 2022 is back open for business, and so is AMV Theater, now 100% bigger. No seriously, we moved rooms, and now it's twice the size. Unless things change, we've relocated to Room 202 (formerly "Panel 1").

AMV Theater will be running all convention-weekend as-normal. Supposedly we do NOT have to run with reduced hours this year, so we will be back on our regular schedule, closing at 1:30AM instead of midnight.

-----------------------
THE AMV CONTEST
Like with 2021, the AMV Contest will not be simulcast to a second room. Also like 2021, we are going to still hold 3 showings, all in AMV Theater (1 on Friday, 2 on Saturday). There will be voting at all 3 screenings. AMV Theater seats 700 people now, so this should accommodate everyone who wants to see the contest. The AMV Contest Awards Ceremony will also be held in AMV Theater.

AMV Contest Winners
l33tmeatwad banged out a very nice list here: viewtopic.php?p=1576653&sid=913ceffd911 ... f#p1576674

AMV Contest Rules:
https://www.otakon.com/activities/amv-contest/

Very important takeaway in regards to our "anti-trolling policy". We've always ignored awards issued by online contests, and that doesn't change this year, but it's especially important to note that this also takes into account cons that would have normally held in-person events, but couldn't this year. Ex: Otakuthon is normally an in-person con, but Otakuthon 2021 was virtual-only. Even if your video won "Best in show, life, the universe, and everything" at Otakuthon 2021, since it had no live in-person screening, we're treating it like any other online contest. I don't know how many other 2021-2022 cons were "online only", but we want to still leave that door open.

AMV Contest deadline is July 4th. I'll be celebrating with burgers, beer, and MP4s :?

AMV Contest FINALISTS:
Only listing the studio names, for those who wish to keep their entry a surprise. You don't have to stay anonymous if you don't want to. Finalists are divided by category alhapbetically. This is NOT the contest playlist order.

ACTION
AllyKatAVR
Dragon Girl Sam
E_01
JMI Productions
Kireblue
SonsofKorhal9

COMEDY
hilovids
l33tmeatwad & snapxynith
MadMegatax
Sayoria
Simplyfx
Toon Addict Productions
Under The Box Productions (Davis 51)

DRAMA/SERIOUS
*Required Field
AngelMaeVictory
Opner
Pants
Troubleclef
Xyik AMVs
Zanzaben

ROMANCE/SENTIMENTAL
AbyssBreaking Studios
Seasaltmemories
Seaweed Films
slurptcg
Tyken
UnluckyArtist

TRAILER/PARODY
BecauseImBored1
Lightning Bear Studios (Speedy180)
NbackslashA
SailorTardis
ZeonicFreak

UPBEAT/DANCE
Faevily
Melee!
Nashironeko
Rider4Z
SpuddStaaa
Zeeruy

AMV Contest NON-FINALISTS:
Entries in bold denote entries that were placed as a non-finalist for winning a major award prior to the June 9th cutoff date.
AcerVids
ACTasha
Akemi Ena
Aly-san
Andrew Forest Productions
Caliowl
Cheeky
COSMIC LUNE
Cosplay Joe
DappleDeer
Dead Flowers Productions
Doki Doki Productions
Double Click Productions
DreamerJordi Productions
drewaconclusion
Enitz
EnQuatre
Everlast77
FanEditz
Gina Nelson
GoldnJeans11 AMV's
GreyAnimeEdits
HagarenViper
HaloKami Productions
HiddenWhiteFang
IKON2008
KC Kermy
KOCHiiKUN
kurohoshimi
Lightning Bear Studios (TwigglyFiggly)
ManlyMango
Memphis Longhand Productions
MidnightWolfCry14
Mihanbao
Nikki Castle
Obsidian Zero
Oh You Know, Terrible
One Day til Deadline Productions
PerkyPastry
Personarose
Prostrate Constantly
pwcagal
Ramen Noodle Productions
Reilla Studios
Reuben Baron
RTeker Video
Rurounigatts
Sea Turtle Studios
SekaiNoTeki
shorisquared
Silent Hero
SilkAMV
Special K
Synæsthesia Productions
Takeshi
tallerken
TheDestineeAMV
Under The Box Productions (Krigen)
Valkyrie Pirate Radio
VegettoEX
Wokelost
yaseensa
Yuugiri AMV

AMV Contest Entrant Perks:
If you entered a video in this year's contest and weren't disqualified, you're entitled to 3 ribbons (one for you, two for your homies). You can pick up these ribbons at PROGRAMMING OPS (WEWCC 209A-C, there's a sign outside). Bring some form of ID that says you're you (you will pick up all 3 at the same time).
These ribbons entitle you to reserved seating at any of the 3 AMV Contest screenings, and the AMV Contest Awards presentation. Because we expect each event to completely fill, we will start giving away seats in the reserved section 10 minutes prior to each event starting, so be sure that you show up with at-least 10 minutes to spare.
Last edited by VicBond007 on Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2022 - AMV x Theater

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:28 pm

Lets goooooooooooooo

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Already got my entry sent.

BTW, does the con need anything for the fan parody blocks, as I was thinking about submitting my Runaway Anime video for that.

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:26 pm

Might be a cool time to try two entires >_> especially with the win limit rule

PantsAMV
Org Profile

Post by PantsAMV » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:48 pm

two entries to match the two cubes in your profile picture vic :jester:

Opner
Org Profile

Post by Opner » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:52 pm

hmmmmm I got an idea

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:59 pm

"Anime" footage is loosely determined by the animation studio that produced the art for the show. If it is an Asian studio, then the footage will likely be allowed. If it is not, then your entry could be disqualified. Sorry, but by this definition, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" are not "anime" and will be disqualified. We have to draw the line somewhere.
I hate to break it to you but...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar: ... _Airbender
Avatar: The Last Airbender was co-created and produced by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko at Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank, California. Its animation was mostly done by South Korean studios JM Animation, DR Movie, and MOI Animation. 

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:17 am

Rider4Z wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:59 pm
"Anime" footage is loosely determined by the animation studio that produced the art for the show. If it is an Asian studio, then the footage will likely be allowed. If it is not, then your entry could be disqualified. Sorry, but by this definition, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" are not "anime" and will be disqualified. We have to draw the line somewhere.
I hate to break it to you but...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar: ... _Airbender
Avatar: The Last Airbender was co-created and produced by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko at Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank, California. Its animation was mostly done by South Korean studios JM Animation, DR Movie, and MOI Animation. 
OK...so maybe the rule is worded incorrectly. Been using the same verbage for 14 years, but then again, people can still be wrong. After all, Pluto isn't a planet anymore. The focus was on the fact that it was created by Nickelodeon Animation Studios, an American studio. Maybe it'll get rewritten for 2023, but the idea behind the ruling still stands. Math is math, anime is anime (I'll let someone else make the gif). If we have to ask "is this anime?" then the video could still get chucked. If we opened up the contest to every animation that used South Korean tweeners (that sounds way more derogatory than it should...) then pretty much nothing is off the table. I'm down for a G.I. Joe X My Little Pony Gen3 crossover video, but while it might hold a special place in my heart, it might not have a place at Otakon.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Post by Zeonic Freak » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:44 am

VicBond007 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:17 am
After all, Pluto isn't a planet anymore.

Had to be said...

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:52 am

Did those awards from last year ever get sent out?

Return to “AMV Contests”