Question

Animeheero09
Org Profile

Question

Post by Animeheero09 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Hey guys, I am new here and if this is in the wrong fourm I am sorry.

I recently got my hands on Vegas 5.0, my Aunt vought it and I'm playing with it. Now I'm really new to using Vegas and it still is a bit over my head. For all my other AMV's I used Windown Movie Makier, haha old school. But now there's are part in the song where the drums hit quite a frew times with in teh time spand of about 1.5-2 seconds. In my video, I wanted it to every time a drum beat hit, I wanted it go black. Im not sure how to exectly explane it. So Lets say someones standing there and every time a drum hit the screen would go black for only a split second then go back to that scene. Is there any easy way to do that, because I'm zoomed all the way in and having problems cutting it to where it needs to go any what not.

Well that you for your time, and sorry again if this is in the wrong fourm. I'm just startin out :)

Animeheero09
Org Profile

Post by Animeheero09 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:58 pm

I couldn't find and edit buttom but I wanted to add in;

Even just advice how to get it pretty close to it flashing like that would be most helpful, thanks.

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:30 pm

I don't actually use vegas myself but the principle is the same for all editing software.

1. Go to any image editing software (mspaint will even do) make a image that is the same size as your video and make it all black then save it as a .bmp or anything really.

2. Import into your editing software. Drag onto video track above where you want it to be.

3. Adjust length of black image using cut or sliders etc. So that it's only a short duration.

4. Viola! You now have a black flash! Repeat as necessary for seizure inducing effects.

Note: you may be able to make the black image in vegas itself I think I recall someone mentioning that... I think it's under one of the menus as solid colour or something.
oh and there is no edit button in this forum anyway

Animeheero09
Org Profile

Post by Animeheero09 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:35 pm

Warpwind wrote:I don't actually use vegas myself but the principle is the same for all editing software.

1. Go to any image editing software (mspaint will even do) make a image that is the same size as your video and make it all black then save it as a .bmp or anything really.

2. Import into your editing software. Drag onto video track above where you want it to be.

3. Adjust length of black image using cut or sliders etc. So that it's only a short duration.

4. Viola! You now have a black flash! Repeat as necessary for seizure inducing effects.

Note: you may be able to make the black image in vegas itself I think I recall someone mentioning that... I think it's under one of the menus as solid colour or something.
oh and there is no edit button in this forum anyway
Yea I actaully have my black flash already (Stole part of the credits black screen) I just cant get the timming down, not ot mention now when I preview it, it just skips over that part, like I dont get to see it or anything. I was just seeing if there's an easy way to get the timming dead on.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Using any basic image editor (i.e. Paint), make a bitmap (or GIF, or JPEG; since it's all going to be one color it doesn't matter) file the same dimensions as your video (probably 640x480 or 720x480) and fill it with black. Then, go to Vegas and import that file into your timeline (you can probably do this by using the Explorer tab at the bottom and navigating your way to the folder with the .bmp/.gif/.whatever file; I use Vegas 6.0 so I don't know if 5 has the same feature).

Once you have the image on the timeline, you should split the clip that you want to "flash" and shorten the .bmp image to one frame, then put it in where the drum hits. Repeat this step until there are enough black screens as there are drum beats; at the end your timeline should look something like this:

Zoomed in:

It takes a lot of trial-and-error to get it right.

Animeheero09
Org Profile

Post by Animeheero09 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:42 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:Using any basic image editor (i.e. Paint), make a bitmap (or GIF, or JPEG; since it's all going to be one color it doesn't matter) file the same dimensions as your video (probably 640x480 or 720x480) and fill it with black. Then, go to Vegas and import that file into your timeline (you can probably do this by using the Explorer tab at the bottom and navigating your way to the folder with the .bmp/.gif/.whatever file; I use Vegas 6.0 so I don't know if 5 has the same feature).

Once you have the image on the timeline, you should split the clip that you want to "flash" and shorten the .bmp image to one frame, then put it in where the drum hits. Repeat this step until there are enough black screens as there are drum beats; at the end your timeline should look something like this:

Zoomed in:

It takes a lot of trial-and-error to get it right.
Yea I noticed, my only problem is I cant really tell which wave's are the drums and what not.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:44 pm

As for the preview, you should probably just drag a loop around that portion of the video (by clicking on the timeline and dragging; a blue box should appear - that's the loop) and go to File>Render As..., check "Render Loop Region Only" and click "Save". Then when it finishes click "Open" and you can watch it without Vegas's preview box being slow.

Animeheero09
Org Profile

Post by Animeheero09 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:46 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:As for the preview, you should probably just drag a loop around that portion of the video (by clicking on the timeline and dragging; a blue box should appear - that's the loop) and go to File>Render As..., check "Render Loop Region Only" and click "Save". Then when it finishes click "Open" and you can watch it without Vegas's preview box being slow.
Ah, thanks that was a very helpful one. :D

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:53 pm

What I do is listen frame by frame. It just sounds like static because you're only listening to a fraction of a second at a time but the drum beat will be louder compared to the rest of the static.

Animeheero09
Org Profile

Post by Animeheero09 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:56 pm

Warpwind wrote:What I do is listen frame by frame. It just sounds like static because you're only listening to a fraction of a second at a time but the drum beat will be louder compared to the rest of the static.
Yea I've seemed to notice that it's really just trial and error.

Well thank you everyone, if anyones has an more pointer's I'm always "all ears".

Return to “Video Editing Software”