Witch hunter robin word EFFECTS...

Angel's Shadow
Org Profile

Witch hunter robin word EFFECTS...

Post by Angel's Shadow » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:00 am

I bolded "Effects" just to make sure people didn't think I was posting about the series but rather... I want to know how to do an effect that is featured in that anime. aswell as serial experiments lain. Oh hell... anywhere... lol OK... you're whatching a show (Witch Hunter robin so far is the best example of this) and then you see words (type, font, whatever) appearing on the screen as if it's being typed. I only know of one method of doing this in premiere... and it requires like one bmp per letter... and you get where I'm going with that... I just want to know... is there a program or effect or methos like camstudio where you can capture typing. I only use camstudio as an example... It's awful though for this effect.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:01 am

Using another file like that isn't all that hard, you can dump all the letters on layers in one psd file instead of having dozens of bmps. If you don't want to do that then try a modification of <a href="http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutori ... m">this</a>. Just change the transparency level per letter instead of over an entire stroke like he does. The bmp idea isn't all that hard though, you can dump all the letters on layers in one psd file instead of having dozens of bmps.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:39 pm

I made a program called Misato Font Animate which does just this. Though it's rather umm, crude. Not that bad. But there is no alpha channel support. So you can either export the text as black text & white background(or visa versa) and use it as a matte or you can put the background as solid green and then chroma key the green away.

It works by loading up a text file, the text file holds what text you want displayed. Each line is one frame. If you wanted to type the word "Hello" typed out on the screen you would need to load a text file like so

H
He
Hel
Hell
Hello

You then load this up and it will allow you to set the image size, position the text as well as setting up the font style & color to use.

It requires the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... D5">Visual Basic 6 runtime files</a>.

It's beta, there is an error that can happen if you try exporting w/o loading a text file which makes it so you have to kil the program with task manager. It's beta software basically and I no longer have the source. I probably wouldn't work on it anyways since I'd like it to have a better engine with 32bit avi exporting abilities...

<a href="http://klinky.home.comcast.net/misatofo ... ownload</a>

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:40 pm

Download link was messed up :

http://klinky.home.comcast.net/misatofontanimate.exe is the proper link...

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:06 am

This is done automatically by After Effects using the Path Text filter.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:11 am

Tutorials from the Creative Cow:

Premiere: Animating a Signature

Vegas: Typewriter FX

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:40 am

ErMaC wrote:This is done automatically by After Effects using the Path Text filter.
But that means they'll have to wait for it to download in KaZ-- errr, spend alot of money purchasing said product... :?

ErMaC
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:34 am

They asked how to do the effect - that's how all the Japanese studios are doing their opening sequences now, either AE or combustion or stuff like that. One of my hobbies is recreating credits from Japanese openings (The OP in the X TV releases from AI-Fansubs were my doing). I've figured out most everything, although WHR's weird gradient in-blurring was a challenge. Vandread 2nd stage was fun too.

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:43 am

It seems to me that it would just be a hell of a lot easier to do it as a bitmap sequence... but then again I'm an MSPAINT lackey...
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

ErMaC
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:28 pm

Doing it as a bitmap sequence easier than using AE? In AE all you do it Path Text, type what you want, and keyframe the Visible flag. THAT'S IT. It does everything else for you. Importing a crapload of BMP files and timing them properly seems like a hell of a lot more work to me.

Return to “Video Editing Software”