Advanced Special Effects: How do they do them?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:09 am

Warpwind wrote:It's just like Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint. "Everyone" has them and "everyone" uses them. It's as common as dirt. Hell I hear that Office XP biggest competition is earlier editions of Office. I myself have about 3 other programes that will do exactly what Word does (much better and with more control in some cases) but what program do I use to do my assignments? Word. Why? Because if I want to email Lecturers a copy of my assignment rather than print it out I can. And I know they will be able to read the file because they have Word.

Sure I could make the document in Adobe Pagemaker or QuarkXpress but then I'd have to convert the file to a pdf before emailing it. Also if they wanted to edit the actual document (make corrects and blah) they couldn't on a pdf. Personally I hate Word... if I could never use the evil program again I would. I hate the "autoformatting" and the locking to a grid and other stupid preset functions. But I use it every damn day.. :evil:
Dude, get <a href="http://www.openoffice.org">Open Office</a>. It is free, is open source, exists in a Windows form, and features almost-full compatibility with normal Word .DOC files. (And lets you export to .PDF, too. :D )
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:43 am

Scintilla wrote:
Warpwind wrote:It's just like Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint. "Everyone" has them and "everyone" uses them. It's as common as dirt. Hell I hear that Office XP biggest competition is earlier editions of Office. I myself have about 3 other programes that will do exactly what Word does (much better and with more control in some cases) but what program do I use to do my assignments? Word. Why? Because if I want to email Lecturers a copy of my assignment rather than print it out I can. And I know they will be able to read the file because they have Word.

Sure I could make the document in Adobe Pagemaker or QuarkXpress but then I'd have to convert the file to a pdf before emailing it. Also if they wanted to edit the actual document (make corrects and blah) they couldn't on a pdf. Personally I hate Word... if I could never use the evil program again I would. I hate the "autoformatting" and the locking to a grid and other stupid preset functions. But I use it every damn day.. :evil:
Dude, get <a href="http://www.openoffice.org">Open Office</a>. It is free, is open source, exists in a Windows form, and features almost-full compatibility with normal Word .DOC files. (And lets you export to .PDF, too. :D )
Hmmm sounds interesting. Although it does sound awfully similar to Word. My biggest annoyance with Word is that it tries to do everything for you rather than let you have more control on what you are doing. For example if you were to compress your average .jpeg in Word it has a preset value for printing (200dpi) rather than letting you choose the compression like in Quark. (yes I know you can compress in photoshop too but photoshop isn't really built for text documents)

Anyway it's too late now... about a third of my thesis is already in Word and it would be a big hassle to change it. Still thanks for the heads up I'll check it out.

Onideus_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by Onideus_Mad_Hatter » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:47 am

Open Office, Star Office, yadda yadda yadda, I say use what you like. I mean I personally think Paint Shop is far superior to Photoshop, but when it comes right down to it, that could be argued back and forth from now until the end of time. Best put your efforts to better use, like makin AMVs. o_O

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:00 am

Onideus_Mad_Hatter wrote:Open Office, Star Office, yadda yadda yadda, I say use what you like. I mean I personally think Paint Shop is far superior to Photoshop, but when it comes right down to it, that could be argued back and forth from now until the end of time. Best put your efforts to better use, like makin AMVs. o_O
Yeah I agree it's all down to personal preference in the end. I being an Adobe whore tend to stick with their stuff because I know I've liked their other programs. But Quark is decent for pre-press and Corel is better for vector-based graphics... oh you can tell my family is in the printing business... I'll shut up now.

I'd follow your advice on the amv front but if I start editing now I'll never finish my work. Speaking of which I think I've well and truely strung out my lunch-break.

Midnyte
Org Profile

Post by Midnyte » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:34 am

I for one am disgusted in most of you. The rules state no use of pirated software, downloaded footage or downloaded music. And yet you are openly encouraging all of the above.

And as almost everyone here seems to be a sheep lead to the slaughter. I will stand up for Media studio pro. In fact it has far greater hardware useage abilities then premier has ever or will ever have. The only "real" SMP function premier has is preview. I have OWNED and used Premier 5.1, 6, Media studioPRO 6,6.5,7. (guess wich one dropped more analog capture frames on the same hardware... Premier, of course this was back in the day) The only dissadvantage MSP has is in the AfterEffects addon to Premier. But there are similar addons available.

Go ahead.. Flame me. this will be my only response to what has turned into a rediculous thread.

Onideus_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by Onideus_Mad_Hatter » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:23 pm

Midnyte wrote:I for one am disgusted in most of you. The rules state no use of pirated software, downloaded footage or downloaded music. And yet you are openly encouraging all of the above.
Hate to break it to ya, "Holier Than Thou", but uh, well hypocrisy isn't just a fun word to say slowly and feel your lips jiggle. If you make AMVs and distribute them to ANYONE besides just yourself, you ARE a pirtate. Don't think so? Why don't you go and call up the RIAA and ask em. `, )

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:51 pm

That's right, and it's hypocracy when a jaywalker condems killing because jaywalking and killing are both against the law.

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:21 pm

My lips don't jiggle when I talk.
Then again I don't have, like, five chins.
◔ ◡ ◔

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:22 pm

tab is your avatar the picture of the chicken from hell?
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:26 pm

Sure.
It beat the onideautism one in halloween scariness.
◔ ◡ ◔

Return to “Video Editing Software”