Do you rely on frame by frame audio scrubbing?

x_rex30
Org Profile

Do you rely on frame by frame audio scrubbing?

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Both Adobe Premiere and Final Cut pro allow you to listen to how the audio sounds in each frame(frame by frame audio scrubbing) and IMO helping a lot to find the right frame for the audio. Vegas doesn't have frame by frame audio scrubbing and it's very frustrating.

Right now I am stuck with Vegas since I don't want to rent Adobe Premiere(maybe I will when I get my dvd collection back from where I lived before) so I am hoping the team over at MAGIX(the company that owns Vegas) would come together and work on a better scrubbing system because the one they have now sucks IMO. They need frame by frame audio scrubbing like the one in Adobe Premiere. Maybe I or somebody else can try asking MAGIX about this. I know it was brought up once before on their site.. Maybe it should be brought up again.

Mainly curious if you rely on frame by frame audio scrubbing and why it's important to you? Don't you think Vegas should definitely have it? Post your thoughts.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Do you rely on frame by frame audio scrubbing?

Post by Kireblue » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:09 pm

personally, I never use audio scrubbing in Vegas because I feel that it sounds annoying and isn't very useful IMO. I simply use my arrow keys so move over to the frames that I want to go to and then press play. You also have the option to highlight a specific frame or group of frames and click play if you want to hear just that segment. If you really prefer scrubbing, then Vegas allows you to zoom into your timeline to the point where even a single frame is inches apart. This will allow you to drag your cursor to scrub over a single specific frame if you like.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:54 pm

kireblue wrote:If you really prefer scrubbing, then Vegas allows you to zoom into your timeline to the point where even a single frame is inches apart. This will allow you to drag your cursor to scrub over a single specific frame if you like.
Still scrubbing that way won't allow you to hear it at normal speed for the audio. Scrubbing in premiere by using the arrow keys is like like pressing the play button then pause button really really fast hearing only a single frame worth(sounding different depending on how much frames per second. Probably a pain in the ass for 60 fps).
You also have the option to highlight a specific frame or group of frames and click play if you want to hear just that segment.
I guess in Vegas the closest to the premiere experience would be to, like you said highlight a frame then press spacebar so you only hear that frame which would help decide what footage should be used.

UnluckyArtist
Partially-Formed Transformah
Org Profile

Post by UnluckyArtist » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:58 am

I found the audio scrubbing in Premiere annoying cause I wasn't use to it, from using Vegas so long, but I do see how it can help you edit closer to the audio. Adobe has it all figured out so I think Magix should just try to be a little more like them with each release so yeah they should go ahead and include the audio scrub, but maybe just add it as an option.. but it's weird cause I realized that even though Pr has audio scrubbing, it's still not as reliable as just using your eyes on the wavelength and seeing where the audio peaks actually are.. so it might not even be much of a helpful feature but it does look more professional.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Vegas doesn't have audio scrubbing? That's so weird. I use it in Premiere all the time for finding the frame on which a beat hits. Syncing to that frame doesn't always work - have to go by feel in real time to see if something needs to hit a frame earlier or later - but yeah, it's still helpful, particularly if there's a lot going on with the audio, like a lot of beats in quick succession.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:40 am

Tigrin wrote:Vegas doesn't have audio scrubbing? That's so weird. I use it in Premiere all the time for finding the frame on which a beat hits. Syncing to that frame doesn't always work - have to go by feel in real time to see if something needs to hit a frame earlier or later - but yeah, it's still helpful, particularly if there's a lot going on with the audio, like a lot of beats in quick succession.
Vegas has scrubbing, but he wants the ability to pretty much press the left and right arrow keys to scrub frame by frame. But on the topic of scrubbing being better than looking at the waveforms, I personally feel that the waveforms in Vegas a a lot easier to see and understand than in Premiere. And so that's why I feel that most vegas users don't even bother scrubbing.

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 pm

I can't tell you how many ancient videos I made with the audio scrubbing your describing. In short, it seems pro, but it is really a huge pain in the ass. I will instead set markers in Adobe Premiere on the timeline and edit with those. To do this, you just select the timeline window, make sure no media in particular is selected, press "L" to start the song and simply press "M" (for marker :p) on whatever beats you want to edit to. I find that I only have to adjust 1 marker a few frames for every 20-30 or so I lay down on the timeline, so it's a massive time-saver compared to scrubbing for a beat. If you would be able to tap out the beat as you listen to the song, you might as well use markers instead of a waveform.

Let me know if that makes sense. I'm always happy to help further :)

Return to “Video Editing Software”