Kdenlive in Linux - just mentioning

Jedinovice
Org Profile

Kdenlive in Linux - just mentioning

Post by Jedinovice » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:51 am

OK, stay with me here! I am new so forgive me if my post is 'not quite right.' I am stil fiding my feet as to how this forum woks.

I am now a Linux user - Mint Linux 17.0 Kde edituon to be precise - and I create AMV's using Kdenlive.

I thought I'd mention this video editing in Linux was a poor affair until a short while ago. Indeed, I would have said that Linux was a poor man's OS… until recently. It has taken huge strides forward in recent years and is definatel usable by non-geeks.

The software I use is Kdenlive. Now, checking the posts, the last time anyone ran Kdenlive, it was rather weak. Well, it's pretty strong I used to use Magix Movie edit pro in my Windows days. For me... that was a pain. It worked… sorta. But it was a crashathon and would ONLY read and write MP files correctly. Nothing else. At $100 for the software I was a bit peeved. But everyting else at the time seemed to have gone 'storyboard' mode only.

Kdenlive, however, is completely free, easily the equal of Magix Movie edit pro 17 for features, all updates are free, loads of transitionals and effects, easy to use, fully multi-track, non-linear, timeline based. It has also been optimised for speed and will on almost anything. The results can be seen on my youtube page.

Actually, I have tried a number of video editing programs and the easiest and nicest for editing was Ulead Media pro for 2.5b with the Rainbow Runner video card from 1998! I had been searching for years after for an editing system just as nice. Kdenlive (I use 0.9.6) is just as nice, faster and, er, free.

The 'Lightworks' editing system is now available for Linux as well, though I doubt I could run such effectively on my limited hardware.

I thought I would mention this in order to be helpful. Linux is overlooked but really shouldn't be now.
Video editing on Kdenlive in Mint Linux KDE 17.0
H/W: An ASUS X200 dirt cheap Dual core atom n2840 at 2.16GHz
...and they said it couldn't be done!!! :lol:

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Re: Kdenlive in Linux - just mentioning

Post by Mroni » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks for the review of a linux editing program somebody has to do it.

Jedinovice
Org Profile

Post by Jedinovice » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:38 pm

Mroni wrote:Thanks for the review of a linux editing program somebody has to do it.
No worries. I created a demo of Mint Linux which includes Kdenlive... because there are soooo many preconceptions about Linux. The realitty is now nothing like what it used to be!

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:45 am

I am familiar with how linux works. At least a little. I have had Ubuntu loaded several times. Since I like to game unless I want to go into pointless things like Virtual windows and the like I will just stick to windows 7. However there are lots of people who would appreciate a demo of the Linux editing program. :P And I am curious to see it at work.

Mroni
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:47 am

Oh and I noticed in your windows Days you used Magix. That really was a horrible program.

Jedinovice
Org Profile

Post by Jedinovice » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:42 am

Mroni wrote:Oh and I noticed in your windows Days you used Magix. That really was a horrible program.
So it wasn't just me! At the time all Windows video editors were going ;storyboard mode' crazy. Magix was the only affordable SW that worked in timeline mode by default and m my brother had version 16 and swore by it. Version 17 was out so I bought that….

And people pay money for this kind of crud?!

Oddly enough, when I found Kdenlive in the Mint repositories for free - and installed it I went, "Whoa! This is the software I've been looking for!" And all updates for free! It reads and writes anything too while, as I said, I had to convert every source into MP. Ouch.

My brother still lives on Magix 16 mind.

Mroni
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Oh Magix was horrible I think its from Germany or something. So was Videowave. Oddly Enough I liked Windows movie maker 2.1. And I started to figure out Premiere 6.0. I have to mention your program to derobert He needs to make a video.

Mroni
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:07 pm

Oh Magix was horrible I think its from Germany or something. So was Videowave. Oddly Enough I liked Windows movie maker 2.1. And I started to figure out Premiere 6.0. I have to mention your program to derobert He needs to make a video.

Mroni
Org Profile

Mroni
Org Profile

Return to “Video Editing Software”