Kdenlive in Linux - just mentioning

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Re: Kdenlive in Linux - just mentioning

Post by Mroni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:07 pm

Oh Magix was horrible I think its from Germany or something. So was Videowave. Oddly Enough I liked Windows movie maker 2.1. And I started to figure out Premiere 6.0. I have to mention your program to derobert He needs to make a video.

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:13 pm

Ok sorry about all those clones. I was clicking the submit video and it wasn't doing anything.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:53 am

When I was on yearbook staff in my senior year of high school, the more or less last project we had to work on was a commemorative video for the yearbook assembly. They brought in an outside media guy and had the computers set up to edit the video...with Magix.

I couldn't stand it, and since I'd already had nearly a year's worth of experience in Premiere at the time, I just took the footage home with me and edited it with that instead. I think the most I actually did in Magix was use it to autogenerate a background for the video's credits sequence.

For the truly masochistic, there is using AviSynth as the NLE it actually is. Linux users have AvxSynth, which still gives you Trim (and I think the Fade functions also work, but I think Overlay doesn't, so crossfades may not be possible), so the basic stuff would work - optimally, AviSynth+ would come out of hiatus again and get non-Windows and GCC support hammered out, killing off AvxSynth in the process, but who knows when that'll happen*. Considering AvxSynth's probable issues with Overlay, VapourSynth would probably be a better option.

*avsplus works perfectly under Wine, though. DirectShowSource obviously doesn't work, but no one should be using DirectShowSource anyway.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Jedinovice
Org Profile

Post by Jedinovice » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:36 am

I need to make a proviso re: Kdenlive. The Kdelive team are very much 'in' with the GUI KDE. So, KDE have shifted from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5. This means the latest versions of Kdenlive require a distro on Plasma 5. There aren't many but they exist. Mint, which I use, is still on Plasma 4 but us expected to go Plasma 5 with Mint 18.

Why do I mention this?

Because the last version of Kdenlive for Plasma 4 - 0.9.10 was a completle mess. Clearly the developers had lost interest in Plasma 4 and just there something out without proper testing and it has a host of bugs. It was bad enough that I stayed with Mint 17.0 and Kdenlive 0.9.6 which is rock solid. 0.9.8 is OK but avoid 0.9.10! It just doesn't work properly. As far as I can make out, though, most Linux distros have avoidd 0.9.10 and it isn't an issue… but just in case!
Video editing on Kdenlive in Mint Linux KDE 17.0
H/W: An ASUS X200 dirt cheap Dual core atom n2840 at 2.16GHz
...and they said it couldn't be done!!! :lol:

Jedinovice
Org Profile

Post by Jedinovice » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:38 am

Talking of masochism - Blender runs natively under Linux is supposed to very good but has a steep learning curve.

But true pain is Cinelerra. It's powerful all right but the UI is actively user hostile. As far as I can make out development on it has frozen as nobody can bring themselves to use it! I still can't work out how to actually cut anything in it.

Conversely, I find Kdenlive is as easy as it gets without treating me like a child!

HibikiTaisuna
Org Profile

Post by HibikiTaisuna » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:49 am

I used Kdenlive for an AMV as well. My biggest problem was, that the snipping doesn't work at 100 %. The rendered AMV doesn't match the preview. I had lots of clips that were longer or shorter than in the preview and the layering was wrong as well. It doesn't seem like it's a bug that was fixed as I tried it with the newest version as well. But overall Kdenlive is a really good editing software. But a s I edit my own videos shot in AVCHD as well I need something that supports this codec and might tend to more powerful software I have to pay for.

Jedinovice
Org Profile

Post by Jedinovice » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:48 pm

HibikiTaisuna wrote:I used Kdenlive for an AMV as well. My biggest problem was, that the snipping doesn't work at 100 %. The rendered AMV doesn't match the preview. I had lots of clips that were longer or shorter than in the preview and the layering was wrong as well. It doesn't seem like it's a bug that was fixed as I tried it with the newest version as well. But overall Kdenlive is a really good editing software. But a s I edit my own videos shot in AVCHD as well I need something that supports this codec and might tend to more powerful software I have to pay for.

Yea Gods, I missed this! Been very busy as I have ended up doing two people's jobs as someone has quit AGAIN!
I used Kdenlive for an AMV as well. My biggest problem was, that the snipping doesn't work at 100 %. The rendered AMV doesn't match the preview. I had lots of clips that were longer or shorter than in the preview and the layering was wrong as well.
I have never found this to be a problem. I have used Kdenlive 0.9.4, 9.6, 9.8 and 8.10 (which was/is rubbish and a bug fest) and snipping, previewing and everything else is fine. It is true that all not effects are applied in preview mode due to the nature of the libraries but I have never encountered this in reality yet.
It doesn't seem like it's a bug that was fixed as I tried it with the newest version as well.
Did you try it with KDE Plasma 5? If not, it ain't the latest version! I am still stuck on 0.9.6 as I am having to hold onto Mint Linux 17.0 which is still on KDE Plasma 4. There is, as yet, no long term support edition of any Debian based Linux distro running Plasma 5 and that's my preferred route of operation. But I wonder if the bug you mention is specific in some way to what you are doing? Maybe it's the nature of your sources as I have never encountered this and I sure there would have been an outcry from Kdenlive users if this was a 'general' bug. I mention because the circumstances regarding your problems may be a specific issue the developers are not aware of. It could be worht telling them.
But overall Kdenlive is a really good editing software. But a s I edit my own videos shot in AVCHD as well I need something that supports this codec and might tend to more powerful software I have to pay for.
Well, yes. I mean,I'm not insisting people use Kdenlive or free, open source software. It's just letting people know that they have choice and, yes, AVCHD support is still an experimental feature in Kdenlive. I suspect you are using WAY more powerful software and hardware than me to tackle real high definition stuff! I have to make do with a dual core atom laptop! :-)

Anyway, whatever you are using - have fun!

Oh, and take a look here for the latest I have done in the world of AMV (maybe - please let me know what you think) here:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 1&t=124265

All done in Kdenlive - in a rush!
Cheers!

Return to “Video Editing Software”