How to get the WMM clip split on another program

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
StayPhrosty
Org Profile

How to get the WMM clip split on another program

Post by StayPhrosty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Okay, so I'm not sure if this should be posted here, or in the Adobe section, but I'll go ahead anyways. First of all, I absolutely despise everything about WMM except for one single feature. Once I import my video footage, it will automatically split the episode into manageable clips, each with a nice little thumbnail, and will play that clip if you select it. This helps IMMENSELY when dealing with, say, a 2 hour anime movie, while looking to use one 30 second clip. I am fairly new to AMV making, but I have a fair amount of experience with live action video editing, so even suggestions as to what you guys do when working on an AMV would be great. I use Adobe Premiere mostly, but my computer isn't very high end, so being able to take clips that would task my computer less would be a true blessing. I have seen various freeware programs that will simply split an AVI file every 30 seconds or so, but I was wondering if there was anything more powerful than that. If there exists some kind of add-on or simple program that works in conjunction with something like Premiere or Vegas, I would love that. Also, if there is another editing program that is similar to Premiere or Vegas in editing power, but with that "clip" ability, I would be eager to make the switch, I'm just looking for answers. I've tried google, but I'm still lost. Thank you all in advance.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: How to get the WMM clip split on another program

Post by Kariudo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 pm

I don't really know of any plug-ins that do that.

What I think most people around here do is open their footage (usually in the form of an avisynth script) with VritualDub or VirtualDubMod. Vdub/mod can make clips (at the frame-by-frame level, something WMM can't do) and also jump by 50 frames at a time (alt + right arrow.)

automatic 30-second splitting it isn't, but it's pretty handy for going through an ep to find clips you want.

StayPhrosty
Org Profile

Post by StayPhrosty » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Okay cool, I'll try downloading vdub, but is that like a standalone program? I'd like to know more about that, but there's gotta be something more than just that right?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Yep, vdub is a standalone executable (maybe not in the truest sense of the word...but whatever.)
It comes with a bunch of files that need to be in the same folder as the exe, but no installation required

I'm not getting the second part of what you're asking. Please elaborate

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm

.. the problem listed brings-up an old conundrum; using Divx for editing.

In short, no; there is nothing else out there that is as simple as Movie Maker which
will keep the file sections in sections & produce small video files.

ABC Edit 123, AiST & MGI used to offer such and DDclip used to be extremely useful however,
with the introduction of Windows XP .. most of those softwares no longer work after being
loaded onto the hard drive. Virtual Dub used to be able to load .asf files until MicroSoft said, "NO!"

Unless you want to retro-back one of your other older computers to use Windows 98SE or ME,
using those programs listed will not function properly with XP or newer. -- sorry. ... however,
should you care to switch-over to a Linux-type system, there are many NLE Editers which still
work along the lines in which you are looking for.

8-)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:40 am

post-it:
1) there is nothing in the OP's request about using divx
2) DDclip free (and the other programs I think you mentioned) have nothing to do with answering the OP's question
3) you can still load .wmv files into vdub...you just have to do so using avisynth, but again...this has nothing to do with the OP's question (at least not at this moment)

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 am

my dear Kariudo, i do not speaked the English; this is a transliterational program which i use.

kindly focus on the last sentence which StayPhrosty asked, "Also, if there is another editing program that is similar to Premiere or Vegas in editing power, but with that "clip" ability, I would be eager to make the switch, I'm just looking for answers. I've tried google, but I'm still lost. Thank you all in advance."

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”