MKV Files in Movie Maker: help!

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Ksher
Org Profile

MKV Files in Movie Maker: help!

Post by Ksher » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:10 pm

I want to make an AMV but my Windows Movie Maker only accepts a few types of files. I want to import a series into it of about 20+ episodes but it will only accept 6 of them (which are AVIs). The rest are MKV files and it cannot handle it. Is there any easy way to convert my MKV files to AVI so I can use them and not have to re-download the entire anime? Or how can I force my Movie Maker to accept MKV files- does that require a certain codec?

(I am using a Windows Vista and my Movie Maker is version 6.0.6000.16386 I also own Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 but I do not know how to use it properly yet)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: MKV Files in Movie Maker: help!

Post by Kariudo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm

The common solution is to use avisynth
you can open the .mkvs with ffmpegsource (you'll need to download it if you don't have it. Google is good)

then you can convert to avi using virtualdub/mod

note that you should be using a lossless codec like huffyuv or lagarith (I forget if WMM has issues with lagarith or if that's vegas...)
lossless codec = hueg liek xbox file

you can use vdub/mod to make clips and cut down on the space needed. When using WMM I'd suggest making clips this way as opposed to in WMM since WMM can't make cuts at the frame-by-frame level
JaddziaDax wrote:open the video file in virtualdub mod go to video->compression->Huffyuv or Lagarith

then go to file->save

use those to mark the beginning and the end of the "clips" you want so you can save room

vnvnvn2000
Org Profile

Post by vnvnvn2000 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 am

What you need is a DirectShow splitter to sparse mkv files. I’m not familiar with what the K-Lite codec pack bundles or not, but you might want to look at http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html. Look in the section where it says filters. If one doesn’t work, try another. If they all fail, my suggestion would be to scroll down and use an editor instead to convert to an intermediate format (AVI, MPEG, whatever) then feed that into movie maker.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Read the topic i left below ^ .^

annikaya
Org Profile

Post by annikaya » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:53 am

How can I reinstall windows movie maker without my windows xp disc? I uninstalled windows movie maker so I could reinstall it because I was having problems with it. But I just realized I don't have a windows xp disc. Is there a way to reinstall the program without the disc?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 am

annikaya wrote:How can I reinstall windows movie maker without my windows xp disc? I uninstalled windows movie maker so I could reinstall it because I was having problems with it. But I just realized I don't have a windows xp disc. Is there a way to reinstall the program without the disc?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... aker2.mspx

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”