Vista - Publishing Problems

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Shadowfox85
Org Profile

Vista - Publishing Problems

Post by Shadowfox85 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 pm

Alright, we'll here's my issue. I have a fairly short amv (2:17) but this has alot of clips and I used alot of "Fade" transitions. All of the clips were cropped to avi files (I used a program called Xvid4PSP, its a program to convert vids to psp format, but can also output avi files), then imported them to WMM Vista. I've done this way before and havn't had problems.

Anyway, heres the big problem. So I finish and publish this movie. I set it to publish on the setting that will be best played on my computer. It outputs a file at 17.6 MB At first it plays fine, but after 50 seconds or so, the video screen is blank, with the exception of my watermark on the bottom right. The audio is still going, but for some reason, about a little less than 2/3 of my video clips were cut off.

So I tried to do a higher setting to output the file: "Windows Media DVD Quality (3.0 Mbps)", it outputs a little bigger file (23.4 MB) but it still cuts off the clips at the same area.

Now I think a while ago I had a problem like this, and someone told me it could have been because I used too many effects, and so it resulted me having to cut the storyboard in two, save both halves as separate files, bring them both back on another storyboard, and republish the two together. I did that, but there is a noticable pause between the two. I was wondering if there is an alternate way of fixing this.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:59 am

a couple of things.

1. there is a thread somewhere in this forum that talk specifically about vista have a look for it.
2. Read the sticky at the top of the forum spefically the annoying flashing banner in it.
3. to paraphrase the banner... don't use xvid for editing, this is a prime example of what can happen :?
new banzors in the making :p

Shadowfox85
Org Profile

Post by Shadowfox85 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:03 am

Sorry, my bad on that, ill be sure to read that, but no xvid for video editing? Hmm well at least i'll be more cautious, I've made alot of amvs before with that, and only had one problem arise before this. Anyways I decided to split it into two files and merge them back together, and it worked. Thanks for the advice though

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:51 pm

As for the jump, this is what you do. People are far more likely to notice it in the music rather than the clip so just use the audio from the original project rather than the two halves. Of course then the audio will fall off a bit after the jump so then take the last frame of the first half and slow it 1/2 down. Back when I used WMM I made so many effects that I had to split into 4, 5 or more sections in order to save it fully so I've come across this problem a lot.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Shadowfox85 wrote:Sorry, my bad on that, ill be sure to read that, but no xvid for video editing? Hmm well at least i'll be more cautious, I've made alot of amvs before with that, and only had one problem arise before this. Anyways I decided to split it into two files and merge them back together, and it worked. Thanks for the advice though
that's the problem somes it just stops working which is a bitch
new banzors in the making :p

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm a bit late here but... same thing happened to me and I was going NUTS because of it. It's probably too much editing for WMM to handle. Split your project into two separate projects, produce those, and then create a new project that only has two video files in it. If you need more than that, try it. But definitely save the two new sections as NEW projects, just in case something goes wrong, then you'll still have the original.

Shadowfox85
Org Profile

Post by Shadowfox85 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm Back!

Well first of all, thanks guys for the help earlier before. I did what you guys said by splitting it and reimporting it, and it worked.

However I got a new complicated problem with publishing.

Story:
So I just finished an AMV not too long ago, and I turned my anime footage to AVI files. WMM plays it fine and publishes the AMV fine. This was about a week ago.

So now I'm working on another project, and I tried to publish a sample piece of the project, but now it crashes when publishing. The thing is I KNOW whats causing it, the AVI decompresser filter in the Options menu. When I disable this, it will publish fine, but the footage all becomes blank. But when this filter is enabled, it plays fine in WMM but can't publish it. So idk what I can do to fix it. The only solution I had was to update to DirectX9c since I heard it would replace the "quartz.dll" file with a new one, which the AVI decompressor refers to in the Options menu. That didn't work. I updated my codecs with CCCP, but that didn't work.

However, something does work, but its not the best one. When asked how I want this published, I tried selecting the "DV-AVI(NTSC)" setting, while I had the AVI Decompressor filter turned on. It worked, but theres two problems I have with this.

1.) I can see some "lines" in the footage, so its not the smoothest.
2.) The file is huge! I tried to do a 30 second sample and it turned out 150MB+!

So yea, if you guys don't know about fixing the AVI Decompressor filter, I would love to hear about a means to compressing the version made with "DV-AVI(NTSC)" to a smaller size with better quality. Thanks again guys for reading!!

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”