FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS! - Read This First

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:22 am

lol
In to years time it will be in somes sig... (except the size of course)
new banzors in the making :p

krillin the villin
Org Profile

Post by krillin the villin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:30 am

One of the easyest fixes i have been able to tell people havein probs with WMM/WMM2 is USE VDub, do - streams/stream list [disable audio].

as for Video, just Video *streaming video

alot of people think that 100% of the problem starts with video codecs in windows crap system, this is not intirely true... audio muted in wmm still requres the codec for it to play, this causes mass histaria with the gerble keeping your dell from crashing wmm, ram helps always, but mainly the audio on video is your downfall, i have people cheer when they can drop 500 clips at once just to test it, 5% cpu useage? YAY

so thats what ive done to save people, aslo FFDshow is crap for all editors so if ya got that yer almost totaly screwd with wmm.

Also, wmm for vista can do VOB and MKV now, no real issues with vista when it comes to audio/video now.
Because you are good at amv's dosent meen you can't get yer arse kicked.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:13 pm

krillin the villin wrote:aslo FFDshow is crap for all editors so if ya got that yer almost totaly screwd with wmm.
Not if you disable ffdshow's support for any codecs that you already have separately. It's a simple precaution, and it allows you to keep ffdshow around for playing back stuff you might not be otherwise able to handle.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

krillin the villin
Org Profile

Post by krillin the villin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:12 pm

case in point, instal something just to turn 90% of it off... weak
theres easyer codec packs that are more stable you dont even have to tweak, but round abouts FFDshow and WMM do not work well together.
Because you are good at amv's dosent meen you can't get yer arse kicked.

shinymwe1234
Org Profile

Post by shinymwe1234 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:01 pm

tank you :)
bow down to the power of anime!!!! MWAHAHHA

Outofsync
Org Profile

Post by Outofsync » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:20 am

Try not to be so hard on us noobs, I am hearing allot of geez don't ask the same question. Which I do try to avoid by reading the guides and FAQ however there are at times conflicting information, i.e. in the guide on using DVD footage which is wonderful thank you DIVX is recommended for a faster sync. However many of people here say don't use divx. Also I am a computer tech so ram, video card etc are not going to be my problem so I may ask a question on filter settings and how to clean footage. Some of these things are tribal knowledge and people join a forum to discuss these things as well so please be kind. ; P Otherwise you guys are of course pure awesomeness and my AMV is coming together far better than it ever could have without your help. Also it is in one of the above links but PLEASE be warned speedup and slowdown effects do not always come across right on DV-AVI…(sobbing) I am going to buy Vegas Movie Maker I think. I have not seen best edit software announce so if there is lemme know.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... xport.html
peep

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:38 pm

To clarify, vicbond007's guide recommends encoding your cleaned up .vobs with divx to try to cut down on the space used to store your footage.

Later in that guide you will re-import that divx footage into virtualdub to make small clips encoded with a lossless codec. So you never actually edit with the divx footage.
I do remember the guide saying that the divx encoding is just an intermediate step to save a bit of space.

From experience, this method works alright...but you will lose quality this way.
If you have enough space to store your vobs, you'll probably have enough space for your lossless clips as well.
I'd recommend having at least 30GB free to edit a video this way. 26GB for the vobs (assuming a 26-ep series averaging 1GB per ep,) and 4 GB for clips and renders

The reason why most people are a bit hostile to noobs is because the majority don't read the guides or lurk/search the forum

if you need help with filtering, your best bet will probably be the avisynth section

Outofsync
Org Profile

Post by Outofsync » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:07 am

Actually I don't think anyone has responded with hostility or anything. I am not asking for your help with filters (in this thread) I am merely pointing out patience is a virtue, people ask forum questions in a forum, I think it's understandable. For instance I reread Vic’s wonderful PDF and I disagree with your take on it. Maybe I am wrong but as far as Vicbond-007's guide page 22 of 33 in the PDF makes it clear you can use this divx footage to edit with, the section is titled “Pulling clips to use in your favorite video editing program”. Pages 23 & 24 are about cleaning footage. Though you can choose not to edit with it. If your using ADOBE PREMIERES Vic clarifies (on pages 25-28) how to use that footage. WMM works ok with DIVX, though I will be using huffyuv purely next time. I use WMM, so to say he didn’t mean for Divx to be used is misleading. Surely not in Premier hence all the warnings but WMM seems to handle it, though poorly, and with much crashies. Maybe I misunderstood his intent but I don’t see it. Thank you for your recommendations and clarifications Kari.
peep

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:23 pm

I think you're only skimming that page.

the encoding with divx allows you to save some space, and to seek through the footage faster (unless you try to seek backwards)

what's happening in page 22 is you are opening that divx file in vdub and making small clips using mark in and mark out (see fig 52)
then you are saving those small clips with a lossless codec (huffyuv, as shown in fig 53)

Outofsync
Org Profile

Post by Outofsync » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:58 am

Your right I am sorry, :oops: I did miss-speak but I actually did what your saying right. I was thinking you were saying NOT to use DIVX at any time. I see now we are talking about the same thing, I'm just going about saying it sideways. I exported my working clips in huffy as the guide says. I was getting such general never use DIVX comments that I was thinking some people were saying that never to do even that step, that you HAD to just use the VOB and directly clip from there. Apologize for the mis-lead, I'm gonna have a bunch of irate people comming for me if you let that one slide. Thanks. :wink:
peep

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”