Movie Maker Expert: AMVs and Questions

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
sorrowofdestiny
Org Profile

Movie Maker Expert: AMVs and Questions

Post by sorrowofdestiny » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 am

Hi guys, what's up?
I'm new in here and am just another amv editor ...

Straight to the point, I am very good at using wmm (the most basic and shittiest editing program for noob :asd:
So I created this topic for you guys to discuss the questions around this programs, we all know that this program is a very shitty editing software but if you know all the tricks when using, you can probably pull out some really great amv's that is kickin'-ass as much as Vegas or similar Professional Editing Software...

As I said that I'm new in here so I don't know how to use the codes in this forum, so I just drop here a link to my channel on YouTube (I only upload my amv's there) for you to check out my amv's
All of them are made by windows movie maker, believe it ! :up:

http://www.youtube.com/sorrowofdestiny2009

If you guys wanna know where and how can I get those custom effects/transitions or do overlay in my amv's
go here: http://windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/Default.aspx

You'll find all you need in there.
Just drop any questions that you want to ask about movie maker and I'll support you with my 3-year knowledge of it :mrgreen:

My favorite anime is Hellsing btw :) and I have 1100 subscribers, so you can absolutely couny on my movie maker skills...

Hobo General
Org Profile

Re: Movie Maker Expert: AMVs and Questions

Post by Hobo General » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:42 pm

my main problem with wmm currently is the fact that i need to save my videos in 4:3 but the only options it gives me in 4:3 are pocket videos and they look terrible, what can i do oh guru of wmm wisdom

sorrowofdestiny
Org Profile

Post by sorrowofdestiny » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 am

First of all there are 2 kinds of wmm: XP and Vista (I don't count Live because it's shit :down: )

XP: (wmm 2.x)
If you would like to save your amv as 4:3 screen solution with high quality, not pocket videos:
When saving movie, it's recommendly default as: "Best quality for my playback" <--- this will base on your pc's quality to save (which is if you have stable and strong pc like 2GB of RAM) the video after saving will be perfect for your playback

If you don't count on the default setting, choose:
- High quality video for local playback (720) or (640)

Vista:
Windows Vista requires at least 1GB RAM so if you select the default setting in wmm's saving options quality, it'll save the amv perfectly...

Hope this helps...

--- Oh! and from now on if you have questions to ask please tell me either is your wmm vista or xp, it'll be more easy to answer, thanks! ---

Hobo General
Org Profile

Post by Hobo General » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 am

It still saves it in 16:9 aspect ratio for both of the high quality video playbacks and best fit to file size

sorry im realy bad with technology, oh and its WMM XP

sorrowofdestiny
Org Profile

Post by sorrowofdestiny » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 am

Tools -> Options -> Aspect Ratio (Select 4:3)

Hobo General
Org Profile

Post by Hobo General » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:32 am

Thanks for puting up with my stupidity it works now thank you, and if your still willing

When i put high quality videos into wmm, when i add scenes to the timeline the quality and framerate seem to dissapear, i've gotten through this before by just putting the the show through wmm first and then editing with that but i lose quite a bit of video quality doing that so one again, what am i doing wrong?

sorrowofdestiny
Org Profile

Post by sorrowofdestiny » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:45 am

as for wmm xp, the preview screen quality the video for the project you edit isn't as good as when you done editing and saving it...
As you preview, the scenes may get a little choppy because of low framerate but that's just on the preview screen...
Just edit what you have to edit and then save it, the complete saved movie file's quality is much better...

but if you use wmm vista, you won't have to worry about this...

Hobo General
Org Profile

Post by Hobo General » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:34 am

thank you

majingohan99
Org Profile

Post by majingohan99 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:02 am

if u are using HD clips.... convert them to like 320 x 320... to make the AMV... then put the HD clips back in when you are going to publish.. putting less strain on your CPU and GPU if you are just using a low end pc / laptop

hope this helps xD
:mrgreen:

DustyAstroidRain
Org Profile

Post by DustyAstroidRain » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Okay I have a question!

I downloaded the AMVapp so I could start making my first AMV and basically (in case you don't use it) I copied episodes from a DVD onto my computer using DVDfab, then indexed the footage with DGIndex and made the short clips I needed from the episodes into .d2v and .m2v files. Then, I opened the .d2v version of the files with AvsPmod, added into the script that I needed it resized and cropped, and saved that as an .avs file. Then I opened up the .avs files in VirtualDub and compressed them with UTVideo to make .avi files.

The .avi files seem to work right and I followed all the steps to the T in A&E's guide for the app. I can open the .avi files in Windows Media Player and in t@b's editing software... but when I open it in Windows Movie Maker I get an error message that says the codec required to play the clip isn't installed. I don't have DivX or Xvid installed (and I don't plan to just based on the hundreds of threads I've found shunning it lol) so that's not the problem but maybe I need to install a codec? I thought UTVideo was a codec so that's where I'm a bit confused. Also, why would I be able to open the .avi files in all other programs but not in WMM? I tried opening it in Windows Live MM and it didn't even give me the error message about the codec, just refuses to play it. With WMM I was able to view the .m2v clips but when I pull those out on WMM, I wind up missing half the clip (which I think turning it into an .avi was supposed to help avoid according to the guide).

Suggestions, oh wise one? :)
Once I tried to close my eyes.... I thought you disappeared.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”