A Newbie's Guide To Adobe Premiere

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Up In Flamez
Org Profile

A Newbie's Guide To Adobe Premiere

Post by Up In Flamez » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:00 am

hey there, i was bored and i finished all my hw so i thought i would make a tutorial. before u read this tutorial, i would like to give credit to LadyMercury cuz i used her tutorial as a template for my tutorial. anyway on to the tutorial

Also another thing. as i am writing this tutorial i dont have any vids made in premiere on this website. Why? because for some reason everytime i try to connect with CuteFTP it always gets disconnected. So dont ask how i know about premiere when none of my current vids r made in it

Part 1 - Beginning To Use Adobe Premiere

ima be using Adobe Premiere 6.5, not much of a difference between 6.0 except that 6.5 has a new titler, a few new effects, and real-time preview. most of this information can be used in premiere pro too

Aight when u first open up premiere, u must make your project settings. I will not be making a tutorial on that, go here http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... setup.html

NOTE : 6.5 users, use these settings in 'Keyframe and Rendering'

REAL TIME PREVIEW : only in 6.5 and it is good for effects like black and white, fades,invert, etc. but for things like 'Ghosting' or 'Radial Blur' u wud have to render those sections

Here's the basics of the Adobe Premiere Interface
(CLICK IMAGE TO INCREASE SIZE)

These your editing tools, the most common ones would be the Razor tool and the Arrow Tool

1. Arrow Selection Tool - Moving Clips Around and Trimming
2. Multi Selection Tool - Selecting Multiple Clips
3. Rate Stretch Tool - Slowing or Speeding Clips
4. Razor Tool - Cutting Clips
5. Hand Tool - Moving clips (not that different from the Arrow)
6. Zoom Tool - Zooming on the Timeline (better to use the zooming tool at the bottom of the timeline)
7. Opacity Tool - Changing the Opacity of a clip
8. In and Out Point Tool - Cutting Clips

BEFORE IMPORTING CLIPS MAKE SURE THE VIDEO IS NOT DIVX/XVID AND THAT THE MUSIC IS WAV FILES!!!!

now lets import some files

either do that or right click on the project window like i did here

Just drag the audio on to the timeline and click the squiggly button to see the waveform

same thing with the video

in premiere u cant repeat the clip over and over again by dragging like in Sony Vegas

to add an audio or video track simply right click and select what u want

so u want to get started on cutting clips?
just select your razor tool and click where u want to split it
NOTE : A SHORTCUT TO CUTTING A CLIP IS PRESSING F10(if u press F10 it will cut every layer where the scrubber is.

MAIN TRACK EDITING : in case u havent noticed by now, Adobe Premiere 6.X cant have transitions in any track except track 1

Single Track Editing or A/B Editing???

Here's how a single track with a transition looks like

and here's how a A/B editing transition looks like

which one looks easier to u? to most ppl it would probably be A/B editing and that is the one i recommend

In the next tutorial i will be going over Transparency and Speed

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:40 am

Impressive so far...

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:43 am

Proper spelling and grammar would be nice in a tutorial. Otherwise you're not going to be taken seriously (nor should you be).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Up In Flamez
Org Profile

Post by Up In Flamez » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:44 pm

what do u mean i shudnt be taken seriously?!?

as for the grammar, i dont think many people would care if i spell 'you' as 'u'

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:54 pm

uP|iN|fLaM3z wrote:what do u mean i shudnt be taken seriously?!?

as for the grammar, i dont think many people would care if i spell 'you' as 'u'
It's called credibility. If you can't spell or make use of proper grammar, all of this is pretty much for nothing.
ImageImage

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:08 pm

think about it like this:
you want a job, and get an interview.
at the interview, you show up in street clothes, and all of your answers to the questions make heavy use of colloquialisms (slang).

do you think you'll be considered by the interviewer?
(the answer is no)

the same principal applies here.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Proper punctuation takes more time to type but your article is easier to read afterwards. Since this is a tutorial, it should be designed for READER friendliness, not WRITER convenience. :)
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Up In Flamez
Org Profile

Post by Up In Flamez » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:29 pm

whatever, the only grammar mistakes i did was that i wrote 'dont' and 'u' instead of don't and you

i dont know why everyone is making such a big deal on small things like that.

Jayn_Newell
Org Profile

Post by Jayn_Newell » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:35 pm

If I may just say, I've always interpreted people who don't use proper grammar and spelling as having speech impediments. I don't care how well written the piece is, you'll sound like you got dropped on your head as a kid or something. At least in my head. Part of it is because it takes longer to read, so everything sounds slow. Granted, this thread isn't too bad--I'm hearing a redneck accent right now.

Anyways, you'll have far fewer people complaining about proper spelling and grammar than improper use of them. So if nothing else you'll save yourself a few headaches.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: A Newbie's Guide To Adobe Premiere

Post by Kariudo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:46 pm

uP|iN|fLaM3z wrote: hw so i thought i would make a tutorial. before u read this tutorial, i would like to give credit to LadyMercury cuz i used her tutorial as a template for my tutorial. anyway on to the tutorial

Also another thing. as i am writing this tutorial i dont have any vids made in premiere on this website. Why? because for some reason everytime i try to connect with CuteFTP it always gets disconnected. So dont ask how i know about premiere when none of my current vids r made in it

Part 1 - Beginning To Use Adobe Premiere

ima be using Adobe Premiere 6.5, not much of a difference between 6.0 except that 6.5 has a new titler, a few new effects, and real-time preview. most of this information can be used in premiere pro too

Aight when u first open up premiere, u must make your project settings. I will not be making a tutorial on that, go here http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... setup.html

REAL TIME PREVIEW : only in 6.5 and it is good for effects like black and white, fades,invert, etc. but for things like 'Ghosting' or 'Radial Blur' u wud have to render those sections

either do that or right click on the project window like i did here

Just drag the audio on to the timeline and click the squiggly button to see the waveform
in premiere u cant repeat the clip over and over again by dragging like in Sony Vegas

to add an audio or video track simply right click and select what u want
so u want to get started on cutting clips?
just select your razor tool and click where u want to split it
NOTE : A SHORTCUT TO CUTTING A CLIP IS PRESSING F10(if u press F10 it will cut every layer where the scrubber is.

MAIN TRACK EDITING : in case u havent noticed by now, Adobe Premiere 6.X cant have transitions in any track except track
which one looks easier to u? to most ppl it would probably be A/B editing and that is the one i recommend
Yes I was bored enough to highlight all of the internet speak/missed apostraphies(sp)

Return to “Adobe Software”