How do you capture with Adobe without ripping DVD's

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

How do you capture with Adobe without ripping DVD's

Post by genestarwind21122 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:24 am

My question is how do you capture with Adobe without ripping DVD's. Because ripping DVD's takes up at least 4 GB's and I can't affoard to use all that space.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:35 am

Capturing video takes even more space than ripping DVDs.

You're also better off capturing using VirtualDub instead of Premiere.

koronoru
Org Profile

Post by koronoru » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:26 pm

klinky wrote:Capturing video takes even more space than ripping DVDs.
Well... if you capture or rip only the clips you're actually using instead of the entire show, then you can cut the space requirement quite a lot either way. But I think it's unrealistic to expect to create AMVs with less than 4G free. You'll be pretty unhappy if you don't have multiple free gigs, and disc space is so cheap now there's no reason not to get a nice big drive.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:14 pm

:P that's what I sorta meant. Usually captured footage, if you did it losslessly, would take about the same space as a single DVD.

I am thinking 1GB/min for 720x480@29.97fps. Of course that is huffYUV in RGB mode. YUV would give smaller results.

You're most likely going to need more footage than your AMV, unless you've got your AMV entirely planned out. So 5mins atleast for a 3min AMV, sounds about right. That's atleast 5GB :|. Maybe you'll need more or less. But you're not saving alot of space by capturing over ripping.

~klinky

Return to “Adobe Software”