Masking/Compositing in AE

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Ematheo
Org Profile

Re: Masking/Compositing in AE

Post by Ematheo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Okay so I'm trying to learn how AE works but I'm stuck. I've spent hours and hours on rotoscoping but I read somewhere that you should do the masking on a diffrent layer than your footage, so I did.
But now when I want to cut out this character and place a diffrent footage behind, I can't do that because my mask is on this solid grey layer. :? Is there any way I could apply the mask on the footage I want to cut? I'll cry for days if I have to do the masking again. >_<
lurvtuss

Haeresis
Org Profile

Post by Haeresis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:26 pm

ViciousFairy wrote:Okay so I'm trying to learn how AE works but I'm stuck. I've spent hours and hours on rotoscoping but I read somewhere that you should do the masking on a diffrent layer than your footage, so I did.
But now when I want to cut out this character and place a diffrent footage behind, I can't do that because my mask is on this solid grey layer. :? Is there any way I could apply the mask on the footage I want to cut? I'll cry for days if I have to do the masking again. >_<
You should be able to just copy and paste the mask from one layer to another.

Ematheo
Org Profile

Post by Ematheo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:25 pm

Haeresis wrote:
You should be able to just copy and paste the mask from one layer to another.
Strange.. I tested copy,paste like a dozen times before but now when you said that it actually works.. I must be tired >.<
Well thanks a bunch! :D
lurvtuss

Iron Solari
OSHMKUFA2010
Org Profile

Post by Iron Solari » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Ematheo wrote:Okay so I'm trying to learn how AE works but I'm stuck. I've spent hours and hours on rotoscoping but I read somewhere that you should do the masking on a diffrent layer than your footage, so I did.
You could do it the classic way with the Pen tool and lots of paths. It's tedious, but it always gets the job done. Then you can just feather away the edges to make it look smoother.
"Some guy stuck a butter knife covered in peanut butter into my DvD player because he said it was hungry."
-Anonymous

ChaosGod
Location: Always running away but no matter how far I go there I am
Org Profile

Post by ChaosGod » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:20 am

Ematheo wrote:Okay so I'm trying to learn how AE works but I'm stuck. I've spent hours and hours on rotoscoping but I read somewhere that you should do the masking on a diffrent layer than your footage, so I did.

Hmm Make the Gray the Transparent color selection... or change the grey to a color not in your char to make that transparent ( before u try too much other tedious work )

Return to “Adobe Software”