Exporting Rotobrushed footage from After Effects to Premiere

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Tarage
Org Profile

Exporting Rotobrushed footage from After Effects to Premiere

Post by Tarage » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:00 am

This is my first time messing with After Effects and I have successfully rotobrushed a clip that I now want to put back into my Premiere timeline with what I brushed out as transparent. However, I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to even do this.

For whatever reason, Premiere and After Effects refuse to talk to each other, so I can't use Dynamic Link. I rendered out the footage I wanted to edit as an mpeg and got it into After Effects. From there, I rotobrushed the character and everything is rendering out great. However, I can't seem to find a good way to then put this back into Premiere. If I use make movie, I end up with an AVI with black or whatever color I pick in place of what I rotobrushed away. Because there is some feathering, if I just do a flat out chroma key, the clip has a whatever-color-I-exported-with halo around it. The way I did this before I started trying to use AE was I created masks by hand in photoshop and pasted them in frame by frame. When I did it that way, I created black/white masks. Is there a way to do that with AE? Is there a better way I should be exporting this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Re: Exporting Rotobrushed footage from After Effects to Prem

Post by Shui » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:35 am

Which Version are you using?
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Tarage
Org Profile

Post by Tarage » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Shui wrote:Which Version are you using?
CS 5.5 for both. Sorry.

Tarage
Org Profile

Post by Tarage » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:58 am

Actually I think I just figured this out. I wasn't exporting the alpha channel out in the render settings. I think I've got this now.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:03 am

You should be able to import AE Project Files into premiere and selecting which sequence you want.
No need to export a clip.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Tarage
Org Profile

Post by Tarage » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:10 am

"Should" and "Able To" are two different things. Like I said in the start, dynamic link isn't recognizing that I have both programs installed. I've spent hours trying to fix it and at this point, getting something working trumps everything else. And right now, exporting as an AVI with alpha included is doing the trick.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:34 am

If you right-click on a clip on the timeline in Premiere, does it not have the "open in After Effects" option in the drop down menu?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Tarage
Org Profile

Post by Tarage » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:39 pm

Like I keep saying, the option is there, but it fails. The exact error is "Using Adobe Dynamic Link with Adobe After Effects requires Adobe Production Premium.". I have spent hours googling this error, messing around with dynamic link, and reinstalling. Nothing has fixed it, so I'm just exporting.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:41 am

Tarage wrote:Like I keep saying, the option is there, but it fails. The exact error is "Using Adobe Dynamic Link with Adobe After Effects requires Adobe Production Premium.". I have spent hours googling this error, messing around with dynamic link, and reinstalling. Nothing has fixed it, so I'm just exporting.
Ah, it's a bad product registration key.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Adobe Software”