Source footage is being cut off in Adobe Premire pro cs5.5

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Source footage is being cut off in Adobe Premire pro cs5.5

Post by The_McLaughlin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 pm

So it was working fine until I went to edit today, and I don't know if it's something I did or not, but I'm baffled and tried to troubleshoot it myself, but I'm fairly new to adobe as I just switched from Sony Vegas this year, so maybe someone here can help me out.
So today I went to make a few modifications to my amv but now the top of my source footage in Premier is just black up top, I didn't crop it, and I'm not sure if I hit a key to turn something on or not, but I can't figure out how to get back to normal.
The footage that I had worked with earlier before this happened is still okay, so everything that I already did in the timeline is fine.
However any new footage even if it's the exact same clip is now cut off at the top.
I first checked the footage to see if maybe something happened to that and it corrupted and just needed to be replaced, however the footage is playing normal outside of adobe premier pro, so the footage itself is okay.

I then tried restarting the computer to see if maybe that was the issue, and that solved nothing. I also just tried opening a new project and my source footage is still being cut off at the top, so I think it's setting that I hit by accident but I have no idea what.

So I'm completely baffled as to what I did if anyone could help me out I'd be really grateful. The video I was working on is pretty much done except for a few little things I need to fix, add and change, and it's for a contest which the deadline is for in August, so I still have time I suppose but I'm going to run out soon and I would prefer to make my changes to it before I send it, but I suppose it's at least done to the point I could submit it.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Source footage is being cut off in Adobe Premire pro cs5

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 am

With 640x360 screenshots it's kinda hard to tell, but I'm quite certain that the extension I'm reading there is .wmv.
Here's a still relevant write-up about the reasons why it's bad to use wmv (yes, it applies to those too despite the guide's name):
http://aquilinestudios.org/DivX_Editing.html
But I highly discourage to employ the conversion software and ways suggested there.
Since I think you know understand why using wmv directly for editing is bad, I suggest you to Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides Lovingly Overhauled Largely by Zarxrax</a>, since there are some pretty decent ways to handle footage suggested in there. :wink:
Another site you might want to check out is AMVGuide.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Source footage is being cut off in Adobe Premire pro cs5

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 am

I'm just going to go ahead and say...aside from all negative side effects listed in the article mirkosp posted...as a rule of thumb if it's WMV you shouldn't be editing with it for quality reasons...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Adobe Software”