Adobe After Effects Cutting

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
sholin360
Org Profile

Adobe After Effects Cutting

Post by sholin360 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 pm

I can't seem to be able to cut a video in After Effects. If i use the drag tool thing next to the video then it does make it smaller BUT then is a faint trace of the original video, so for example I have a 20 min video, I cut it down to 3 min, when I render it, it renders the whole thing!
If you don't understand (I'm bad at explaining) then I can take a snapshot.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Adobe After Effects Cutting

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:20 pm

You don't cut in AE (in the razor tool sense) you set your in/out points and then drag the entire thing to where you want it on the overall comp's time frame. If you're doing that and you see the entire clip when you render, you're not looking at the right output monitor.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:31 am

OHH! :oops:
I get it, Thanks a lot!

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Closest thing you can do to cutting in the ae timeline is the ctrl+shift+d shortcut (should be otherwise available as edit > trim I think, or something alike, but I've been using the shortcut for so long that I totally forgot), which will split in two layers the original selected layer. If more layers are selected, it will apply to all of them, if none are selected, it will split those that do actually something there and aren't thus empty in that point.
NB: if you don't properly press shift too, you'll just be doing ctrl+d, which is duplicate.

Return to “Adobe Software”