Premiere Pro Memory Issue

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Ultimatetransfan
Org Profile

Premiere Pro Memory Issue

Post by Ultimatetransfan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:19 am

I've never gotten this message in all my years of using Premiere, but all of a sudden, working on this project, it happens constantly.

I'll be working on my timeline, and randomly be told "Premiere is running low on memory. Save your project and proceed cautiously." or something to that effect.

I've had much bigger projects in the past, using the same version of the program. The footage is all relatively small, averaging between 2 and 26 mb, with the notable exceptions being 200mb at the max. The footage is all standard def, Xvid.

I've also had Premiere complain when I try to import some footage, saying "Premiere does not have enough memory to perform this action", or a similar message.

I have no idea what is causing all of this, or what I can change to fix it.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Wii Friend Code: 4682-8199-4711

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Premiere Pro Memory Issue

Post by Pwolf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:04 am

Two things... 1) how much ram do you have in your computer and 2) don't edit with xvid files. Convert them to lossless.

Ultimatetransfan
Org Profile

Re: Premiere Pro Memory Issue

Post by Ultimatetransfan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Pwolf wrote:Two things... 1) how much ram do you have in your computer and 2) don't edit with xvid files. Convert them to lossless.
Unfortunately, I just don't have the space to work only with lossless/uncompressed. In answer to your question, I have 4gb, but only up to 3 are recognized.
I also think I figured out what the issue was. Since I was using compressed video, it looks like I gave the clips a much higher bit rate than I should have. In the end, I was using more than double what was needed. So even though my clips were fairly small in filesize, they were overly taxing on my machine.

Does that sound about right?

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Wii Friend Code: 4682-8199-4711

Return to “Adobe Software”