Final, Saving ...

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
-MajinLink-
Org Profile

Post by -MajinLink- » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:15 pm

Woah, this umm AVISynth... How in the world can I use this to resize my videos size. O.o

I've been reading about it, but i'm still confused. Am I suppose to install a script to reduce the size or what? O.o

-MajinLink-
Org Profile

Post by -MajinLink- » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:19 pm

Also, should I be capturing by MPEG or AVI?

To be honest, the quality is good. It's just the file size after I save the video that's the real problem.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:40 pm

-MajinLink- wrote:Also, should I be capturing by MPEG or AVI?
As I said above, you should be capturing to the highest-quality AVI possible. Preferably DV or HuffYUV.
-MajinLink- wrote:To be honest, the quality is good. It's just the file size after I save the video that's the real problem.
And as I've said, the file size isn't a problem, if you only capture the clips you need.

After a certain point, it becomes impossible to make the files any smaller and still retain perfect quality -- you've got to lose some.

And as for AVISynth, try this link:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... synth.html

Oh heck, just R<a href="/guides/avtechbeta/">EADBAG</a> in general. It's very helpful.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

-MajinLink-
Org Profile

Post by -MajinLink- » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:53 pm

Alright thanks a bunch Scintilla, your great.

So is there like a script that will reduce my videos size? :?

-MajinLink-
Org Profile

Post by -MajinLink- » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:36 pm

You might have explained this to me already too, I don't know. :?

-I open Studio 8. To Capture.

-Capture a 30 second clip with settings on AVI / High Quality
Also, Can I set it to MPEG (High Quality) DVD? or Medium Quality (SVCD) or MPEG in general? Or should I be capturing with AVI Best Quality instead? Although I don't like the width and height at 720 x480 =/

-Well anyways, after I finished capturing what I needed (30 Second Clip) I check the properties of this AVI file, the size is around 30.1 MB.

-Now, I open premiere and drag the click into the timeline and just touch it up. (Crop the bottom).

-Then I save it / export it.

-But now, my 30.1 MB clip has become a 120 MB clip. =/

Do I have to change the settings before I export or something?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:40 pm

Um... the script alone doesn't affect the video, it's merely a frameserver. To compress the video, you need to feed the script into VDubMod (for making AVIs) or TMPGEnc (for making MPEGs; note that with AVISynth 2.5.x, TMPGEnc oftentimes won't take your script unless you slap a <b>ConvertToRGB24()</b> on the end of it) and convert it.

If you want to make a distributable AVI, you'll need a good distribution codec. You probably already have DivX, but most people around here suggest XviD, which can be gotten here: http://roeder.goe.net/~koepi/

But let me reiterate that you shouldn't be trying to reduce your file sizes until you've got a finished export from Premiere and your video is ready to be distributed.
ImageImage

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:49 pm

Scintilla wrote:Um... the script alone doesn't affect the video, it's merely a frameserver.
I SO did not word that right.

What I meant to say was "the script alone doesn't affect the video <i>file</i>". It can certainly affect the video you see, in that you can slap all sorts of helpful filters on it, but the original <b>file</b> remains unaltered.
-MajinLink- wrote:-I open Studio 8. To Capture.

-Capture a 30 second clip with settings on AVI / High Quality
Also, Can I set it to MPEG (High Quality) DVD? or Medium Quality (SVCD) or MPEG in general? Or should I be capturing with AVI Best Quality instead? Although I don't like the width and height at 720 x480 =/
What codec is the "High Quality" file encoded with? Windows Explorer's Properties --> Summary --> Advanced should tell you (VDubMod's File --> File Information will too). What you want is something that uses either a DV codec or HuffYUV.

Try it with AVI Best Quality and see what codec the resultant file uses, if any. If you can, force it to use the DV or HuffYUV codecs.

If it won't let you do that and the "Best Quality" file isn't one of those two codecs or uncompressed, then try capturing in Premiere instead. :P
-MajinLink- wrote:-Well anyways, after I finished capturing what I needed (30 Second Clip) I check the properties of this AVI file, the size is around 30.1 MB.

-Now, I open premiere and drag the click into the timeline and just touch it up. (Crop the bottom).

-Then I save it / export it.

-But now, my 30.1 MB clip has become a 120 MB clip. =/

Do I have to change the settings before I export or something?
Do <i>not</i> run clips through Premiere just for the purposes of touching up. It's a waste of resources, because simpler programs like VDubMod can do it just as well or even better.

If all you're doing is cropping, then you can simply use an AVISynth script to serve it instead:

<b>AVISource("C:\mypath\myvideo.avi")
Crop(0,0,0,-cropamount)</b>
where "cropamount" is how many pixels to shave off the bottom. Yes, the minus in there is intentional; don't leave it out.

Provided you've got the Premiere AVISynth import plugin, you could then just use that script in Premiere without having to recompress your video, which means no need to create a big ol' lossless AVI.
ImageImage

-MajinLink-
Org Profile

Post by -MajinLink- » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:18 pm

Thanks again Scintilla.

Anyways, I downloaded TMPGEnc so I could encode my AVI video. But the video picture never shows after I encode / convert to MPEG. =/ Eh, help? :oops:

Return to “Adobe Software”