Did Adobe Premiere get discontinued?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
tuxedomarty
Org Profile

Did Adobe Premiere get discontinued?

Post by tuxedomarty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:04 pm

I have to buy a new computer next month, and I am almost certain the version of Adobe Premiere I’ve been using the past 7 years, which is extremely outdated will not work on a current version of Windows. But when I looked on Amazon.com, all I could find was some subscription which is $200-something a year, and I don’t want a subscription! I want the latest version I can install/uninstall/reinstall anytime on some form of physical media, and one that is compatible with the AMVapp, avisynth, and VOB files. I also will need help reinstalling the AMV app too, because it has been years since I last installed it, and I don’t remember what settings I chose, and I don’t know where the guy who helped me install it is.
I can't stand weeaboos and people who keep badmouthing dubbed anime and say it sucks.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Did Adobe Premiere get discontinued?

Post by Scintilla » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:22 pm

tuxedomarty wrote:I have to buy a new computer next month, and I am almost certain the version of Adobe Premiere I’ve been using the past 7 years, which is extremely outdated will not work on a current version of Windows.
For what it's worth, I'm still running Adobe Premiere Pro CS2 on Windows 7 64-bit just fine.
tuxedomarty wrote:But when I looked on Amazon.com, all I could find was some subscription which is $200-something a year, and I don’t want a subscription! I want the latest version I can install/uninstall/reinstall anytime on some form of physical media...
And if we and enough other customers vote with our wallets, then maybe Adobe will finally come to their senses and offer a real alternative to the subscription model they've been trying to force on everyone for the past few years. Until then, did you know you can get Vegas Pro 14 for just $20 for the next few days?

Also, I feel like it ought to be possible to find a used copy of one of the slightly older physical versions of Premiere for sale through channels other than Amazon (Ebay perhaps?), but to be fair, I haven't gone looking in a while.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

maumau90
Org Profile

Post by maumau90 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 pm

I will never support the subscription model of Adobe.
As always Vegas is an option. But since it got bought by Magix, I was not impressed by the updates they did.
On the contrary. I'm not confident in Magix as a good software developer for Vegas.
Not only have the last 2 Versions been underwhelming, but Magix has like 4 other NLEs they are developing.
They just don't have the manpower to support Vegas the way it needs to be.
So after over 8 years or so, I'm abandoning Vegas and moving to DaVinci Resolve.

Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve is the industry standard color grading software, and has evolved to a full NLE over the last few years.
On top of that they bought the DAW Fairlight and fully integrated it into Resolve!
And on top of THAT this year they also integrated Fusion, a high end node based visual effects and motion graphics node-based compositing program.
And on top of THAT the program is FREE.
No cost, no catch. Just a purely awesome company, as opposed to fucking Adobe.
The Resolve Studio version has a few special features. But you probably won't need them. And even if: It's only $299!! It's so insane! Resolve alone as only a color grading software once cost like $30.000. Then they made it an NLE and reduced the cost to $1000. Now they added a DAW and compositing program and reduced the price further to $299.
AND blackmagic is totally against the subscription model. On the Resolve page, they actually have a little hint towards Adobe shitty subscription model.
You can download Resolve here:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/

So, basically if you get Resolve for free, you get a replacement for Premiere Pro, Speedgrade, After Effects, and Audition all in one package by a company that cranks out HUGE updates each year. And I mean HUGE! That's what I love about blackmagic. They fucking kick ass! Blackmagic is currently the biggest threat to Adobe and Media Composer.

The only downside of Resolve is, that a few features are still missing.
Mainly the "Fusion" page is still a work in progress. Version 15 is still in beta, so expect a lot of bugs. And just a subset of Fusion has been integrated into Resolve. So currently, I don't intend to use the Fusion page, but instead use the full stand alone verions of Fusion:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/
And you can link between Resolve and the stand alone version of Fusion to send clips from Resolve to Fusion, add effects, and send them back.

But since Resolve 15 is still very buggy, I would advise you to use v14. You can still download it from their support page under "Latest Downloads":
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion

Don't get intimitated by all the features Resolve has. For starters stick to the "Edit" page. That's all you need for now. That is the replacement for Premiere Pro. When you feel comfortable with that you can still branch out to the "Color" and "Fairlight" pages.
And later you can dive into Fusion. But if you are not used to nodes, Fusion can seem very intimidating. But it's super powerful.
You should definitely read the Fusion Manual and Tool Manual to learn it.
Of course, it's also good to read the Resolve manual.

BTW: Resolve has a great scene detection! Fucking great for AMVs! Saves you soooo much time! I love it! One of the best features!

And: Buy Vegas with the link from Scintilla. Even though I'm not happy with the current development of Vegas, you'd be stupid not to buy if for $20. Really! Vegas and Resolve are the only good NLEs left. Adobe has the shitty Creative Cloud subscription model and Media Composer...is Media Composer. An ancient obsolete piece of software that desperately needs a serious overhaul that also doesn't get any serious updates. On the other hand, there's DaVinci Resolve rising as the new star of post production as a full finishing suite.

I hope this helps. Now start editing!

tuxedomarty
Org Profile

Post by tuxedomarty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Looking at the screen caps of that DaVinci thing, the interface looks entirely different from what I am used to. And being that I have been using Adobe Premiere for the past several years, it might take time to adjust to anything else. And does it use AVS?
I can't stand weeaboos and people who keep badmouthing dubbed anime and say it sucks.

maumau90
Org Profile

Post by maumau90 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:37 am

tuxedomarty wrote:Looking at the screen caps of that DaVinci thing, the interface looks entirely different from what I am used to. And being that I have been using Adobe Premiere for the past several years, it might take time to adjust to anything else. And does it use AVS?
1. Don't get intimitated by the different GUI. Every program has a different GUI. You'll get used to it. And Resolve has one of the cleanes UIs. Especially compared to Premiere. It'll just take an hour tops to understand where what is.
If you don't want the subscription model, you'll have to learn a different program. That comes with a different UI. It's either that or subscription.
That's the price of freedom and a free NLE, color-grading software, DAW(, and compositing software) all in one.

Of course, I'm only talking about the "Edit" page. There is way more stuff you can learn on the "Color", "Fairlight", and "Fusion" page.
Fairlight and Fusion are like programs on their own (and Fusion actually still is). Fusion is super deep.
That's why I said, stick to the "Edit" page for now. That's the equivalent of Premiere Pro. I assume, you can also do basic audio audio editing in the Fairlight page without having to learn a lot of stuff. But the advantage over Premiere is, that Resolve has way superior tools for Audio Editing and Color Grading than Premiere. So IF you ever need super advanced stuff. It's there.
The only question is: Does Resolve have everything you need in the editing department?
I still miss some things in the "Edit" page. But I'm confident in Blackmagic. I sent a lot of feature requests to them, and a lot of the stuff has been implemented in newer versions. So, if you are missing a feature, send them a feature request, and maybe you'll get your wish granted. That's what I love about Blackmagic: They are really killing it in terms of development of their software.

2. I wouldn't recommend using AVISynth. Transcoding while editing is a bad idea. It's just another piece that takes up resources and slows down your NLE. If you need the video in another format, just convert it beforehand.
Seems like AVISynth is also not supported by Premiere Pro versions newer than CS5:
viewtopic.php?t=116363
I also tried using an AVISynth script in Premiere Pro CC, Vegas Pro 13 and Resolve 14. It didn't work in any of these programs.
So, just throw AVISynth overboard. Transcode your footage before you edit.
For transcoding, I use XMediaRecode. Free, and lots of options available.

Summary:
- AVISynth isn't supported by Premiere, Vegas, or Resolve anymore. So, just throw that away and transcode your footage.
- If you don't want a subscription model, you will have to learn a new program. Resolve is a very promising finishing solution. Give it a shot and see if it has everything you need. AND IT'S FREE! YOU CANNOT BEAT FREE! :wink:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri May 04, 2018 10:48 am

Mau, you had a good reasoning up until you said to throw avisynth away. Avisynth (or raher, I'm using avisynth plus these days, and there's also vapoursynth as an option) is still key to having a proper handling of video footage, and competent users will want to keep using it for any footage preparation. The only change you'd need to consider is encoding to editing formats from the avs, and that much I agree on. Spitting out a utvideo lossless from virtualdub, or even doing a prores mov with ffmpeg will end up in a much better editing experience, but you still keep complete control on your video, unlike random transcoding programs that can't know what your footage actually needs.

tuxedomarty
Org Profile

Post by tuxedomarty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:44 pm

mirkosp wrote:Mau, you had a good reasoning up until you said to throw avisynth away. Avisynth (or raher, I'm using avisynth plus these days, and there's also vapoursynth as an option) is still key to having a proper handling of video footage, and competent users will want to keep using it for any footage preparation. The only change you'd need to consider is encoding to editing formats from the avs, and that much I agree on. Spitting out a utvideo lossless from virtualdub, or even doing a prores mov with ffmpeg will end up in a much better editing experience, but you still keep complete control on your video, unlike random transcoding programs that can't know what your footage actually needs.

I didn't say anything about abandoning Avisynth. That's what I have been using too.

But anyway, I think the version I was using was 7.0, and I can't find the serial number and I forgot how to set everything up and I forgot what settings to pick for AMVApp installation and VirtualDub too, and I've lost track of the guy who helped me set it up.

tuxedomarty
Org Profile

Post by tuxedomarty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:59 pm

maumau90 wrote:
tuxedomarty wrote:Looking at the screen caps of that DaVinci thing, the interface looks entirely different from what I am used to. And being that I have been using Adobe Premiere for the past several years, it might take time to adjust to anything else. And does it use AVS?
1. Don't get intimitated by the different GUI. Every program has a different GUI. You'll get used to it. And Resolve has one of the cleanes UIs. Especially compared to Premiere. It'll just take an hour tops to understand where what is.
If you don't want the subscription model, you'll have to learn a different program. That comes with a different UI. It's either that or subscription.
That's the price of freedom and a free NLE, color-grading software, DAW(, and compositing software) all in one.

Of course, I'm only talking about the "Edit" page. There is way more stuff you can learn on the "Color", "Fairlight", and "Fusion" page.
Fairlight and Fusion are like programs on their own (and Fusion actually still is). Fusion is super deep.
That's why I said, stick to the "Edit" page for now. That's the equivalent of Premiere Pro. I assume, you can also do basic audio audio editing in the Fairlight page without having to learn a lot of stuff. But the advantage over Premiere is, that Resolve has way superior tools for Audio Editing and Color Grading than Premiere. So IF you ever need super advanced stuff. It's there.
The only question is: Does Resolve have everything you need in the editing department?
I still miss some things in the "Edit" page. But I'm confident in Blackmagic. I sent a lot of feature requests to them, and a lot of the stuff has been implemented in newer versions. So, if you are missing a feature, send them a feature request, and maybe you'll get your wish granted. That's what I love about Blackmagic: They are really killing it in terms of development of their software.

2. I wouldn't recommend using AVISynth. Transcoding while editing is a bad idea. It's just another piece that takes up resources and slows down your NLE. If you need the video in another format, just convert it beforehand.
Seems like AVISynth is also not supported by Premiere Pro versions newer than CS5:
viewtopic.php?t=116363
I also tried using an AVISynth script in Premiere Pro CC, Vegas Pro 13 and Resolve 14. It didn't work in any of these programs.
So, just throw AVISynth overboard. Transcode your footage before you edit.
For transcoding, I use XMediaRecode. Free, and lots of options available.

Summary:
- AVISynth isn't supported by Premiere, Vegas, or Resolve anymore. So, just throw that away and transcode your footage.
- If you don't want a subscription model, you will have to learn a new program. Resolve is a very promising finishing solution. Give it a shot and see if it has everything you need. AND IT'S FREE! YOU CANNOT BEAT FREE! :wink:

If Resolve is free, then why is it asking me for an activation code?

maumau90
Org Profile

Post by maumau90 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:53 am

Apparently you downloaded the Studio version. Download the normal version and you won't need an activation code.

Return to “Adobe Software”