Avisynth in Vegas...and VFAPI Trouble

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Aerialesque
is actually a penguin in boots
Org Profile

Avisynth in Vegas...and VFAPI Trouble

Post by Aerialesque » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:23 am

Here I am again with another ignorant question. -sigh-

Alright. I want to import my Avisynth script into Vegas, but I'm having troubles getting the VFAPIConverter to work...it won't let me drag and drop my script. I'm been searching around in the forums here, and at doom9.org, and I've found that I'm supposed to download ReadAVS.reg to get it to work. I downloaded it, followed the instructions for installing it from <a href="http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t ... FAPI">this guide</a>. However, when I double click ReadAVS.reg after changing the path in notepad, it pops with the error: 'not a valid Win32 application.'

...what does that mean?

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:12 am

That guide is pretty out dated. I use avisynth scripts in vegas all the time.. I recommend this method

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 251#760251

Aerialesque
Org Profile

Post by Aerialesque » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:02 pm

Ah, okay. -scratches readavs idea- I tried that guide you just gave me, step by step, and for some reason, I'm having trouble dragging and dropping my script into the vfapiconv window...it won't accept it. I drag and drop it, and it just...doesn't show up in the window.

Aerialesque
Org Profile

Post by Aerialesque » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:15 pm

-facepalm- Nevermind. I had a file in the wrong place, so vfapi wasn't accepting .avs files.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:47 pm

So is it all working?

If you have HQDN3D() in your script, for some reason you have to drag the avs script with it twice, for me anyways. Never understood that. So if a clip doesn't show up through dragging it at some time, try dragging it again, and maybe it'll work. Sometimes it isn't working because your script is messed up, so go back and see if the video works fine in AVSEdit using the preview button, and if it isn't working then that is obvious reason it's not working. Also if you were using an older version of DGIndex that doesn't have the vfapi option built in, then you might have to remake the d2vs using a new version that has the option available. Hope things work out! ^_^

Aerialesque
Org Profile

Post by Aerialesque » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks for the info! The reason it wasn't working for me was because I didn't have the DGVfapi.vfp and DGDecode.dll in the same directory as DGIndex.exe, like I was supposed to. I had moved the .exe to my desktop so I could access DGIndex more easily. Whoops.

Everything seems to be working fine now...I was able to drag and drop my script after I fixed that, and I created my lovely little fake avi. :) Works great in Vegas.

There's only one part I'm still slightly confused about. After I edit my video, and I'm ready to export, I'm going to want to add in all my smoothing/sharpening/whatever filters in...how exactly do I do that? Change my avisynth script and then create a new vfapi file to replace the one I edited with, and make sure it has the same name and is the same directory?

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:22 pm

aerialesque wrote:There's only one part I'm still slightly confused about. After I edit my video, and I'm ready to export, I'm going to want to add in all my smoothing/sharpening/whatever filters in...how exactly do I do that? Change my avisynth script and then create a new vfapi file to replace the one I edited with, and make sure it has the same name and is the same directory?
Yep, that is exactly how you do it. If you need to deinterlace your footage or change the frame rate in it, make sure you have that done in your script before you edit with it because if you add it later when you are ready to render, it'll shift around your footage on the time line. Good thing adding those usually don't effect the playback of your footage that much. Then add any other type of filtering when you are ready to render(well I'm sure you already know that.) Anyway, hope that helps! ^_^

Aerialesque
Org Profile

Post by Aerialesque » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much for your help! :)

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:42 pm

No prob! ^_^

Return to “AviSynth Help”