Avi Synth Information...

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
necromancer
Org Profile

Avi Synth Information...

Post by necromancer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:23 am

:sweat: :| I have yet another stupid question....

A. I noticed adding tdecimate(mode=1) to my script changed my footage from 29.970 to 23.976.... why is that? and if i really wanted that filter i would have to make sure i export the project to 23.976?

B. My colors matrix is YV12 Standard definition... I dont understand what it means if i need to convert to RGB? does that mean if I add different footage to the project and that one is RBG to match both convert to YV12 and vice versa?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Avi Synth Information...

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:27 am

It may be a good idea to read over the video basics guide, but to answer you two questions directly:

A. Almost all anime is produced to be 23.976 (24FPS), but standard definition TV is 60Hz from 29.97fps interlaced. If they were to just duplicate frames, since 30 is no evenly divisible by 24 it would have stutters or hiccups in the footage, so they use a pattern with the interlacing to add in more frames. When interlacing is removed in AviSynth it removes that pattern but leaves it as 29.97fps. Tdecimate is suggested for use as it will remove duplicate frames and prevent it from stuttering or having hiccups in the footage on playback.

B. If you are converting to lossless, I would recommend just using YV12 for storing it as it is much smaller in size than lossless RGB. While your editing software is RGB, it will not have an issue loading YV12 footage. As for post production, it will be converted back to YV12 when encoding to h.264.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

necromancer
Org Profile

Post by necromancer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Gotcha I really appreciate the information ;) I have been reading all your guides and i guess I was a little confused is all...

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 am

necromancer wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:09 pm
Gotcha I really appreciate the information ;) I have been reading all your guides and i guess I was a little confused is all...
Feel free to drop some feedback if things are hard to understand via PM and I can look into if or how things can be reworded to make it easier to digest.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AviSynth Help”