Deinterlacing - what am I doing wrong?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
kapparomeo
Org Profile

Deinterlacing - what am I doing wrong?

Post by kapparomeo » Tue May 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi there everyone. Wow, it has been a long time... sadly life's direction took me away from this site for a while, but recently I've had the time to get back into the hobby and I'm looking forward to making AMVs again.

I posted this new video up on YouTube a fortnight back:

I'm having to relearn a lot of rusty editing skills and before making a neat version for download I want to compile it again with better post-processing, but this is where I'm stumped. I just can't seem to get my video properly deinterlaced, and my AviSynth script seems to have absolutely no effect on changing the raw video.

Sample image from my .avs file loaded into VirtualDub:

Direct Link to image with better reoslution

Example of my video settings for compiling the source video, from Vegas Movie Studio.

[url=hhttp://imgur.com/EWlSrI6]Direct Link to image with better reoslution[/url]

The image on the right of the VirtualDub screen is supposed to be an image of the video following processing, but as you can see it's exactly identical and it looks awful. The script I use is in the notepad window below. As far as I can tell I'm using the appropriate plugins and kept my source video uncompressed, and I also tried running it again with the 'interlace' box on the Vegas video settings unchecked, for the same result. What mistake am I making to still get the ghosting effects afterwards?

Thanks a lot for your help, and your patience in dealing with a re-noob!

UnluckyArtist
Partially-Formed Transformah
Org Profile

Re: Deinterlacing - what am I doing wrong?

Post by UnluckyArtist » Tue May 17, 2016 9:39 pm

It looks to me like the footage doesn't need to be deinterlaced at all, I'm pretty sure that only affects DVD quality footage or lower and what you're using is already progressive HD. The ghosting problem you're having might be that resampling issue Vegas does and that can be fixed right on the timeline.

kapparomeo
Org Profile

Post by kapparomeo » Tue May 17, 2016 9:51 pm

Thanks for the fast response. Sorry to be a noob again but I'm not familiar with Vegas's resampling problem, could you please elaborate?

UnluckyArtist
Partially-Formed Transformah
Org Profile

Post by UnluckyArtist » Tue May 17, 2016 11:38 pm

No prob! I didn't know if you knew about it already but if you right click a clip on the timeline, click properties at the bottom of the menu and change smart resample to disable resample. If you search disable resample here you'll find all the help threads about it and there's a couple easy ways to do it but there's no way to just keep it from happening. And it's not noobish to not know about this, I had no idea about it until my 3rd full year of editing.

Return to “AviSynth Help”