Aliasing lines

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Aliasing lines

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Is the last image the export after editing with the cleaned footage (second image)?
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

BladEra123
Org Profile

Post by BladEra123 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:50 pm

No, I didn't clean the episode up, I used the same episodes as it is (recontained) in Sony Vegas and rendered it in AVI.
After putting in these codings, I didn't notice a huge difference of quality improvement as I noticed while just using the MKV episodes in AviSynth. So for example I render out my AMV using Sony Vegas, now I want to clean it up using these same codings, it'd look similar to the one in the last image, because I didn't re-render the episodes after cleaning them up on VirtualDub, that'd take a lot of time with over 50 episodes.

So basically what I meant to say is that I did experimenting with two sources, one is the original MKV (Which is the episode itself), I cleaned it up using the codes and it looks perfect in AviSynth, but then on the other hand I rendered the MP4 (recontained source, which is also lossless) in AVI which would be my primary render option for AMV making and tried using these codes onto that, and it doesn't look as clearer as it did on the episode itself which is MKV format.

My guess is that maybe I have to change some more rendering settings around in Sony Vegas?
Legend Dies, but Legacy Never Ends~
YouTube Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/bladera123
MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/profile/BladEra123

BladEra123
Org Profile

Post by BladEra123 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Lol maybe I sound too confusing, the first two set of images are non-rendered episodes in MKV container which I opened on AviSynth+, then as I was watching the preview I snapped a photo with and without the codings and with the coding it looks far more better, then the last two set of images are the video clips which I rendered in Vegas in AVI. (Because I won't be able to re-render each and every episode using VirtualDub, so my plan is to use the codes after I'm done with my AMV and done with rendering it on Vegas, then I'd open it up on AviSynth and put in these codes) Suppose that the last two pictures are from my AMV that I fully edited and now I want to clean it up using AviSynth, it won't look as clear as the episodes itself do, which would be a huge disadvantage in both ways, because now not only does my AMV look unclear, but one of the ways to actually fix this issue would be by re-rendering each and every episode with these same codings and then re-do the entire editing process. I really hope that is not the case though, I hope there's a way to bring out the exact same quality like in the second image, in a more easier way. :)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:31 am

Yeah, it's probably causing a shift or something, I figured that would be the case. Unfortunately you'll have to handle the combing before editing the footage. There are a few options if you don't have space, you could hot swap the Vegas video files after with filtered versions of only episodes you need, or just create clips. I would test and see what works best for you before.

BladEra123
Org Profile

Post by BladEra123 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:57 pm

That probably sounds like a better idea, what do you recommend me though, should I convert my episodes from AVI to MP4 or should I recontain them, since the file size of each episode is around 30GB after re-rendering them from VirtualDub I figured that recontaining them might keep the same file size, but at the same time I don't want to lose any quality at all. I do have plenty of space, around 400GB in my HDD so that would be not a big issue but for further projects of mine I would need more episodes; for this project however I only need around 6-7 episodes I believe. But do you think I should convert them or recontain them or should I just leave them as AVI? I hope my Vegas won't lag though because the bigger the filesize is, the more it lags while editing. Also, if you think I should convert them then what software should I use and what settings. Thanks :)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:11 pm

When you have to filter, doing lossless AVI is best as you lose no quality (although that's why they are large). Encoding to a format supported by MP4 is always lossy (hence why it's so small) and you will lose quality (unless you are recontainer, which is just a dirty copy so you can't filter). If you just want to hot swap after editing, using AVI with a lossy codec to create small files for editing then swapping out for full lossless files later would probably be the easiest to avoid complications with frame accuracy.

Side note: Do not use DirectShowSource! It is not frame accurate and can mess up when running some filters. Try one of these alternate input plugins:

AviSynth Plugins for opening MP4/MKV files:
FFMpegSource (FFMS2)
LSMASHSource (L-SMASH-Works)

Return to “AviSynth Help”