Help with Virtualdub .avi conversion quality issues

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
EnQuatre
Org Profile

Help with Virtualdub .avi conversion quality issues

Post by EnQuatre » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:44 am

Hey folks!

I've been encountering a strange issue with trying to cut clips as .avi files in Virtualdub. I've done this before easily without any issues, but for some reason the output is of very poor visual quality this time around (heavy, heavy blocking).

I'm converting to UT YUV 420 using the Fast Recompress setting. I've tried removing every single filter from my avisynth script and literally just running the FFVideoSource("FILEPATH") command on its own, yet I still see the blocking everywhere.

The source files are 1080p .mkv video files and look great when played, and I've never had problems importing them into Vdub and converting to .avi, yet even the preview of the input video in Virtualdub shows ugly artifacts. See below.

I'm pretty stumped... I've never had this problem before. Any help would be much appreciated!

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Re: Help with Virtualdub .avi conversion quality issues

Post by EnQuatre » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Actually, just as an update--I just realized that the problem is actually AvsPmod, not Virtualdub.

When I play the source file in AvsPmod using FFVideoSource on the preview feature, the abovementioned artifacts all appear.

Tried reinstalling AVSPmod, but no success. Help would be much appreciated!

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Those look like the artifacts from broken 10-bit decoding. How old is the FFMS2 being used, because the libraries it uses have properly supported 10-bit for years.

Alternately, play the script in mpv (or if you prefer a GUI, Baka MPlayer). If it plays without issues there, the problem is in AvsPmod. If it plays with the same artifacts, the problem is far more likely than not that FFMS2 needs to be updated.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:16 pm

And make sure that the version of mpv or Baka MPlayer you download matches AviSynth - if you're using 32-bit AviSynth, get 32-bit mpv/Baka MPlayer. If it's the 64-bit version of AviSynth+, then get the 64-bit version of the player.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Post by EnQuatre » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:02 am

Thanks so much for the reply!

It ran just fine in 64-bit Baka MPlayer, so I guess that means the problem is indeed with AvsPmod... I guess the FFMS2 must be fine, whatever that is :P

How might I fix the AVSPmod problem, then? I noticed that my Avisynth was not up to date, so I updated to the most recent 64-bit version of AviSynth+ and redownloaded the newest version of AVSPmod, but I'm still seeing the same artifacts... any ideas?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 am

FFMS2 (ffms2.dll) = FFmpegSource2. It's what provides FFVideoSource.

The problem is, considering 64-bit supports running 32-bit programs, if AvsPmod is 32-bit, it'll be loading 32-bit AviSynth, and so whether the plugins being used are up-to-date enough is still an open question. It playing fine in 64-bit Baka MPlayer means that the 64-bit install of AviSynth+ and plugins are up to date* enough, but what about 32-bit Baka MPlayer?

*I do hope that by 'most recent 64-bit version of AviSynth+' you meant r1825 (or r1779 at a stretch).

Otherwise, I don't know. I've never used AvsP in any of its incarnations, mod or not.

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Post by EnQuatre » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:06 am

Dammit, I'm just an idiot, it turns out.

My plugins were ridiculously out of date, it seems.

I had no idea that there was an up-to-date version of AMVpack here that I've completely missed for multiple years now... I just simply installed it and everything works perfectly now! Fresh install, and BOOM, works like magic. Impressed that the old plugins worked as well as they did until now...

Many thanks for all of your help--I was on a bit of a wild goose chase, it turns out, but your answers led me to Google a bunch of stuff that eventually led back to the newest version of the toolbox!

Return to “AviSynth Help”