Avspmod 16bit input

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Resoow
Org Profile

Avspmod 16bit input

Post by Resoow » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:15 am

I was trying to do something in 10bit and I consulted this discussion:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 6#p1427025

When I go setting

Code: Select all

GradFun3(lsb=true)
Dither_convey_yuv4xxp16_on_yvxx()
on avspmod, though, the preview never shows right.
I saw on avysinth wiki (here: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Dither_tools) that maybe the problem were the old version of the masktools, so I updated them but nothing changed.
From what I read, the loaded video should be in 16bit, but how do I work with 16bit on avspmod? I usually add --input-depth 16 in the command line, but I would like to see the preview before start the encoding.

Another thing: if I have to filter a video with some 8bit filters and then output it to 10bit, it's better to do first an 8bit encode and then a second encode to take it to 10bit?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Avspmod 16bit input

Post by mirkosp » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:15 am

What to you mean "never shows right"?
If it's because you see green vertical lines and stuff like that, everything is fine: avspmod will preview the avs as if it was 8 bit, so obviously a 10 or 16 bit video shown as 8 bit is going to look very weird. When you pipe it to x264 as a raw video and tell x264 it's 16 bit then the final encode will be correct.

By the way, that code is kinda old. Nowadays it's better to use f3kdb for debanding and bitdepth conversion, and there's dither_out() as a shorthand for the x264 compatible output.
Also, you can deliver 10 bit directly to x264 instead of giving it 16 bit and then having x264 dither it to 10 with swscale. This is better particularly because f3kdb is very good at what it does, much better than swscale.

As for the filtering, it largely depends on how much filtering you have to do. If it's a lot of slow filtering, encoding an 8 bit lossless first will save time overall, if there's not much then feel free to directly encode to 10 bit lossy.

Resoow
Org Profile

Post by Resoow » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:53 am

Sorry if I reply only now, but I was away for work.

I didn't know that those were old, thanks for the advice. I tried with f3kdb and dither_out, but the output is always green.
Must be doing something wrong, can you show me an AVS sample for the 10bit conversion and editing?

Resoow
Org Profile

Post by Resoow » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:31 am

Sorry for the double post (I didn't find a way to edit, if there is one).
In some way or another, I resolved :D

Return to “AviSynth Help”