Scrambled footage

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Volfogg
Org Profile

Scrambled footage

Post by Volfogg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:53 pm

It's been a while since I last did any AMV editing and footage ripping. I'm currently at the step of pulling footage using AVIsynth via d2v files and my result is this:

I'm trying to fix this ASAP. I'm going to list all the technical details that I can.

DVDs are Region 1

DVD Decrypter settings (Left at Default, 90% sure this might be my mistake here, over looked one setting VicBond007's guide)
d2v settings left at default, saved as .d2v
Latest versions of DivX and Xvid are installed, as well as HuffYUV
Syntax for AviSynth is as follows:
  • LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+

\plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+

\plugins\Decomb.dll")
    MPEG2Source("G:\d2v\gl002.d2v", idct=5, CPU=4,

ipp=true)
Thanks in advance for any help.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Scrambled footage

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:53 am

It's the parameters for MPEG2Source (I can't remember exactly which one is prone to doing what you see above, but if you give only the .d2v filename to it and none of those other options, it should clear right up). And you don't need those LoadPlugin lines - the plugins are already in the right autoload folder, so the LoadPlugin calls do nothing.

Also, for the love of all that's right in this world, use DGIndex/DGDecode (download the SSE version from http://hank315.nl if you don't have it already), not MPEG2Dec3 (and TIVTC instead of Decomb, but that's less important than making sure you're using a proper version of the MPEG-2 source filter). It's still MPEG2Source, so the only thing needed is to replace the .dll file.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Volfogg
Org Profile

Post by Volfogg » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm going by my old reference materials when I first started, which date back to 2004-6

Volfogg
Org Profile

Post by Volfogg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:42 am

But know this raises another question. With all the new software, this throws me out of my old work flow, so what would a modern work flow look like?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:11 am

If you are looking for a more up to date guide you can refer to this one, and if you need to update your software the easiest way would probably just be AMVpack.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:43 am

Generally, the core theory stuff hasn't really changed. It's more that the general workflow or amount of work needed for a modern source has changed. DGIndex and TIVTC were the recommended versions or solutions for DVD even 8/9 years ago, and while AviSynth+ is now the recommended version of the AviSynth line, it doesn't work that differently from the old versions of 2.6 (the most significant usage change when comparing avsplus 0.1/r1576 to 2.6 is that there are no more implicit audio type conversions*, but that usually doesn't matter much for AMVs).

*integer to float formats is what I'm referring to here. You can't give integer audio to SSRC directly, you have to ConvertAudioToFloat() first.

Things that have changed have more to do with Blu-ray, for example. Not only do you have to use different source filters (either FFMS2 or LSMASHSource depending on the way you choose to handle the content post-rip; or the GPU-based DG* filters if you buy a license and have the right GPU), but you also generally don't have to filter the footage nearly as much as some DVD releases. Even DVD releases from the last few years are not in need for heavy filtering anymore (one could even make the argument that moderate filtering isn't even needed in most cases).

Encoding-wise, the important software (x264, FFmpeg) support AviSynth scripts directly. Up-and-coming solutions like x265 can at least be integrated into software like FFmpeg. And these generally have GUIs to help users do the encoding if they don't want to mess with the command line.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:41 am

I would like to point out that because of the changes in AviSynth+ that some filters will have compatibility issues and may not work. That said, most filters that are worth using have since been updated to be compatible.

As for Blu-ray decoding, the best to worst is DGDecNV > LSMASHSource > FFMS2. The reason FFMS2 is listed as the worst is that it doesn't accurately decode the footage (the explanation is a little technical, but it would look mostly fine).

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:12 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:The reason FFMS2 is listed as the worst is that it doesn't accurately decode the footage (the explanation is a little technical, but it would look mostly fine).
A colorimetry or levels issue not mentioned in the FFMS2 docs (and that doesn't only affect FRAPS)?

Or is it the interlaced H.264 and M2TS wonkiness mentioned in the docs? From what I've read, most anime Blu-ray releases are progressive (so the interlaced issue isn't usually much of a problem), and the M2TS stuff was Haali-specific and could usually (always?) be resolved by remuxing to MKV first (or fixing an MKV rip by running it through mkvmerge). Hence why I said 'depending on the way you choose to handle the content post-rip', but that's assuming you only try FFMS2's defaults and don't bother using -m lavf. By all rights, the LAVF splitter should have markedly improved (and is always getting better, with the rest of the libavformat demuxers).

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:48 pm

From my understanding it wouldn't quite properly handle IDR frames (also the lack of ability to handle interlacing if needed).

Return to “AviSynth Help”