HOW DO I FIX THIS?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
TEKnician
Org Profile

HOW DO I FIX THIS?

Post by TEKnician » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:49 pm

It has been deinterlaced already, but can someone show me a basic script that can help with this?

So far: I ripped a .VOB and threw it into MPEGStreamclip (Because I have a MAC) and came out with a nice looking MP4, with the exception of the slight aliasing.

I AM NEW AT MAKING SCRIPTS. But i thought i'd learn at least ONE for now...
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: HOW DO I FIX THIS?

Post by Pwolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:11 am

looks like bad deinterlacing.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:14 am

For starters, that resolution is just weird. 954,554 It's not even true 16/9 though it is pretty close. Is there a particular reason its that resolution? The far right of the picture definitely shows signs of bad deinterlacing. The weird resolution and unperfect scaling just made it look worse.

Post your deinterlacing script and a small sample of that scene if possible.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:13 am

Not going to go far with MPEGStreamClip.
You need to actually use dgindex and avisynth from the vob if you want good results.
This is, as Scott said, bad deinterlacing. To be more precise, it looks like some very bad postprocess was done to the frame because no matching could be successfully done (if IVTC is what was attemped). Alternatively it looks like some dumb bob in action.
If your anime is telecined, I suggest you to IVTC:

Code: Select all

tfm.tdecimate
Will do its job.
If instead it's actually interlaced, then see about doing:

tdeint
Or, better albeit slower:

QTGMC(Preset="Very Slow").selecteven()
To know if your anime is telecined or actually interlaced, look for a pan, then check a 5 frame sequence. If you see 3 progressive frames and 2 interlaced ones in a pattern, it's telecined, if you don't see a pattern but interlacing on all frames, it's interlaced.
Chances are that you could find a hybrid source (ie: a source that mixes telecine and full interlace). These need different treatment based on whether a scene is telecined or interlaced, and you need to decide at which framerate you want to edit and assumefps to that framerate in one or the other case.

As a closing note, OS X is not friendly if you want to do these things properly, since there is no public avisynth build which runs natively on OS X at the time of the writing, so you might have issues with certain filters. Please consider using bootcamp for your filtering needs if you care about your mental health and don't want to run into unnerving limits and issues.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:30 am

EvaFan wrote:For starters, that resolution is just weird. 954,554 It's not even true 16/9 though it is pretty close.
How the heck did you get THAT? it's 853x480! (1.777) The way i took a screenshot is different from windows.
mirkosp wrote:Please consider using bootcamp for your filtering needs if you care about your mental health and don't want to run into unnerving limits and issues.
*sigh* i'm trying soooo hard not to put windows on my mac. But eh...f*** it... woud parallels do it?

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 pm

This is what I get for responding while still half asleep. Didn't notice the white borders around the video frame on the picture, sorry.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:34 pm

EvaFan wrote:This is what I get for responding while still half asleep. Didn't notice the white borders around the video frame on the picture, sorry.
Oh? Your eyes looked wide open to me! :awesome:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:44 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Please consider using bootcamp for your filtering needs if you care about your mental health and don't want to run into unnerving limits and issues.
*sigh* i'm trying soooo hard not to put windows on my mac. But eh...f*** it... woud parallels do it?
I think it might, yes, though I'm not sure since I never had to try this myself.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not telling this due to one OS being better or worse than the other or anything. I can understand why you might not want to have to install Windows at all. It's just that avs is native to windows only, so it obviously is going to be a PITA on other OSs, like it or not. It's like if one wanted to use Final Cut on Windows... yeah, no, just use it on OS X, that's the thing. Some programs are just thought/tied to the OS they were made on too much for other solutions to be quite valid.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

HOW DO I FIX THIS?

Post by LantisEscudo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:14 am

The_TEKnician wrote:woud parallels do it?
It would, but Parallels is a virtual machine, so it won't run nearly as fast as if you run Windows natively through Boot Camp. Just food for thought, since filtering can be very processor-intensive.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 am

Nevermind! I got it!

This might be a dumb question but: HOW DO I PUT THE AUDIO BACK INTO MY VIDEO? DGindex demuxed the audio into an .ac3 file and i can't mux it back in. Is that how its supposed to be? Cuz i have some AMV ideas that need the original audio to make them...

This is my script so far:

mpeg2source("C:\users\crossover\Desktop\My Mac Desktop\test.d2v")
tfm.tdecimate

Yeah...that's it. *standing ovation* That IVTC thing fix'd everything (as prophesied by mirkosp) I'm just playing with the video filters that VirtualDub has to offer (which are pretty interesting, useful, and simplistic). But i'll take care of the particulars later. Since i have to run the avi through MPEGStreamclip anyways, I thought i'd just crop and resize there. The only thing is, wen i move it to an FCPX-friendly mp4 (resized to 853x480 codec: H.264), i see this:

Not so perfect anymore...

Return to “AviSynth Help”