Help! for and Idiot

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
DarkestBuddha
Org Profile

Help! for and Idiot

Post by DarkestBuddha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:14 am

i got avisynth, virtualdubmod, lagarith, and adobe premiere pro
i read that xvid files were a nono so i look up the first 3 things
i got the avisynth thing pretty much. i got the .avs to work
my problem is the virtualdubmod(vdm), when i 'open video' it gives me and error and i can still play it, however i get no video just audio...then i tried to "make" the .avs file from the vdm, that didnt work at all, i didnt understand what the guy was saying. . . AVI Source("C:\youfilelhere.avi") just got me nothing
and i dont know how to use the lagarith codec either

plz help

lol after this im ganna need a guide for idiots on using the premiere pro (not 6)

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:23 am

Try using DirectShowSource instead of AviSource. And since you probably don't need the audio, add KillAudio() to your AVS script.

Example:
DirectShowSource("C:\yourfile.avi")
KillAudio()
AviSynth Basics Tutorial
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

DarkestBuddha
Org Profile

Post by DarkestBuddha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:29 am

yup i used that guide
got lost at "Using Footage as a Source"
for DirectShowSource("C:\yourfile.avi") 2 things
1. i thought Avi Source was for .avi
2. the the yourfile, does the file have to be in the desktop? or does it not matter where it is? as long as it is the same name as the video file?

DarkestBuddha
Org Profile

Post by DarkestBuddha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:30 am

gah sorry for doublepost
but after i make the the .avs file (which is in a folder of its own)
in VDM do i click 'open video file' to open the .avs? or what?

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:48 am

Yes. If you've made an AVS file, you open it like any video file.

What type of source loading filter you use will depend on what type of file container is used (AVI, WMV, MKV, MP4, VOB, etc.) and what type of codec the video is encoded with (XviD, DivX, H.264, MPEG1, MPEG2, etc.).

General rule of thumb, for MPEG1 and MPEG2 files in MPG and MPEG containers use MPEG2Source(). For most types of AVI files you can use AviSource() unless the video in using a DirectShow codec. In those cases, and for all other file types use DirectShowSource().

DarkestBuddha
Org Profile

Post by DarkestBuddha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:27 am

ok i got vidoedubmod to open my file
then i click compression as lagrith. . .nothing happened
then i went to file -> save as (is that the right one? there are like save stripped avi)
then thats when i think it started compression.. cuz it started to make a new .avi file

is all the above true??
is that how i do it?
o and how long does a compression take?

and after this compression is done i use the new avi to make my vids right??
cuz it will be lagraith not xvid right?

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:09 am

Yes, Save as... is what you want. Once there, you can chose what codec to save the video as. Go to the very bottom of the window in the Video section. Leave Video mode: as Fast recompress. Next to Compression: is a button labeled Change. Click on that and on the new window, select Lagarith lossless codec from the list. The default settings are usually okay, but if you run into problems with compatibility, you can change the encoder options by clicking the Configure button. If you are ready to proceed, click OK, type a name for the video in the File name: section, then click Save. This will create a new AVI file (if you used a different name).

WARNING! Lossless files encoded with Lagarith and Huffyuv are HUGE! Unless you have a lot of hard drive space, I suggest making clips instead of converting whole episodes. (insert JaddziaDax's VirtualDubMod picture here)

The time it take to compress will depend on how long of a video you are encoding and how powerful your computer is.

And finally, if you right click on the AVI video file and select Properties, on the Summary tab at the very bottom, Windows will list the video codec used (it should say Lagarith).

Return to “AviSynth Help”