Eva with AviSynth

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
dowhatnow
Org Profile

Eva with AviSynth

Post by dowhatnow » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:32 pm

It's hell. I learned this the hard way. I've been messing around with a few deinterlace filters for quite some time, but none seem to adequately do the job.

I was wondering which ones those of you who have worked with this series could give me some pointers as to which way to go. Possibly some scripts of your own?

I'd much appreciate any help I can get.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:00 pm

Get the Platinum/Renewal edition :P
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:07 pm

What advantage does that give over the older one?

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:43 pm

Well for one the quality is better. I also believe the partial field blending is corrected. I had a script for the newer Eva's but I lost it. IIRC it was not that painful.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:24 pm

I still have the script that I used for blue trailer

Code: Select all

TFM(order=-1,mode=5,PP=7,field=-1,slow=2)
tdecimate(mode=1)
RemoveGrain()
LimitedSharpen()
Deen("a3d", 1)
ConvertToYUY2()
FixBrokenChromaUpsampling()
assumefps(24)
as it was pointed out in another thread, I didn't use fixbrokenchromaupsampling() as it was intended, but it gave a pleasant side effect of livening up the color (blacks were blacker, blues became bluer, etc...but not like increased saturation)
I should have specified the d2v paramater in TFM, I should have played around with the mode for removegrain.
limitedsharpen should have probably been moved to be after deen, limitedsharpenfaster might have been a better choice (because it has specific options to reduce the intorduction of artifacts) but I used it to offset the line thinning that can occur when you use removegrain()

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:51 am

The Platinum/Renewal DVDs have remastered footage. They removed the frame blending, fixed the frame 'jitter' when scenes changed, and adjusted the color/contrast of the video.
AnimeOnDVD.com wrote:Video:

The other big appeal for the new re-release is the re-mastered video as well. Evangelion certainly isn't young anymore. Nearing its tenth anniversary, my original DVDs definitely showed their age. The colors were a bit washed out, especially against the standard digital coloring of modern productions. The infamous Gainax frame jitter was also a serious problem, as nearly every scene transition was accompanied by a quick camera shake. Some people never seem to notice it, but it always bugged me when I was watching older shows.

But how much could they really fix about this? When I first heard about the Renewal Project in Japan and the re-release of Evangelion there, I dismissed it and didn't really care. At least, that was until I got my hands on a Newtype Japan promo DVD with a side-by-side, split-screen comparison of the old footage with the newly re-mastered scenes, and I was blown away. I'm surprised that ADV hasn't done something similar in Newtype USA, since a lot of the changes don't really sink in until you get to see them for yourself.

The colors are so much more vibrant and alive now. Gone are the dull, washed-out scenes and the old, pale colors from the original release. Now everything is sharp and clear, jumping to the screen. It's still not quite as smooth and polished as the digital coloring we've become used to, but it's a big jump from the original and makes it seem so much fresher and younger. Removing the frame jitter I mentioned also made all the scene transitions so much smoother, which is a significant change if you think of how many individual cuts there are in the average episode.

In short, it was a joy to get to watch the show yet again and have it look so nice. The show looks better than it ever has, and probably the best it can, short of Gainax going back and re-animating it.
The contrast is a bit too high, IMO. But if you could compare them side-by-side, it's easy to see the changes. I've read that the Renewal DVDs are supposed to be progressive FILM and ADV's Platinum DVDs are not, but simple to IVTC.

It is possible to get results fairly close to the Platinum/Renewals with the original DVDs. Getting rid of the scene change frame jitter is probably not possible, but some people aren't bothered by it and you could always edit around those frames.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:22 am

Kariudo wrote:I still have the script that I used for blue trailer

Code: Select all

TFM(order=-1,mode=5,PP=7,field=-1,slow=2)
tdecimate(mode=1)
RemoveGrain()
LimitedSharpen()
Deen("a3d", 1)
ConvertToYUY2()
FixBrokenChromaUpsampling()
assumefps(24)
as it was pointed out in another thread, I didn't use fixbrokenchromaupsampling() as it was intended, but it gave a pleasant side effect of livening up the color (blacks were blacker, blues became bluer, etc...but not like increased saturation)
I should have specified the d2v paramater in TFM, I should have played around with the mode for removegrain.
limitedsharpen should have probably been moved to be after deen, limitedsharpenfaster might have been a better choice (because it has specific options to reduce the intorduction of artifacts) but I used it to offset the line thinning that can occur when you use removegrain()
Am I correct in assuming that's the postprocessing script? Because it seems to me like it would be a bear to work with in any editing application otherwise.

And could you point me in the driection of documentation and downloads for TFM(), tdecimate(), limitedsharpenfaster(), and removegrain()? Because I tried using all four of those filters, but I apparently don't have the necessary files.

And thank you, Willen, for the more in-depth benefits of the Platinum DVDs. They're definitely on my list of things to grab as soon as possible. Read: on their way tomorrow.

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:53 am

Oh, sorry for the double post, but I found the stuff I needed. All except for LimitedSharpenFaster.

Thanks again.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 am

Andy Lammer from AVS Forum wrote:MT_Masktools v2.0a29
http://manao4.free.fr/

LimtedSharpenFaster.avs
- is part of the MT_Masktools v2.0a29 download above
Direct link: http://manao4.free.fr/masktools-v2.0a29.zip (right click, Save Link/Target As...)
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “AviSynth Help”