A call to nominated editors.

User avatar
Beowulf
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:41 pm
Location: in the art house
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:37 pm

Glory of Love = Romantic and Sentimental
Imagine = Sentimental

Sentimental does not always mean romantic and vice versa. :up:

User avatar
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:22 am
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:23 pm

Beowulf wrote:Glory of Love = Romantic and Sentimental
Imagine = Sentimental

Sentimental does not always mean romantic and vice versa. :up:
100% Agree.

I'm by no means saying a video can't be both. In fact, I'm actually in both categories for one video and yet another of my videos is only in Sentimental (ZOMG COMPETING WITH MYSELF :shock:) because well...it's not romantic in the slightest.

At the same time, to say they're the same is wrong imo.

Speaking of "Imagine," that was made in 2003 wasn't it? Was about to say "where is it in Sentimental?!?! :O" but nevermind ;).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

User avatar
Beowulf
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:41 pm
Location: in the art house
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Even if it was made in 2004 it will never be popular because of the...








dreaded masters curse

User avatar
SarahtheBoring
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:45 am
Location: PA, USA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:56 pm

Don't tempt me. :lol:

This is a good idea, although you may have more luck contacting the editors directly. Not everyone looks on the forums, and there's a chance that some of them don't even realize they're nominated. Slight, maybe, but if they've been offline for a while or editing all the time or in school or whatever, you never know.

User avatar
Knowname
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:49 pm
Status: Indubitably
Location: Sanity, USA (on the edge... very edge)
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:49 pm

As for No FX I personally took that as an insult -_- I mean everybody and their MOTHER has Kazaa therefore any old editor that they please by now! I know *I* gave my mother Kazaa for christmas ;p. So I picked that category rather looseley, basically if I REMEMBERED alot of custom scenes, 'partial'-type effects that you could only do with After Effects and stuff. Otherwise I nominated it. Like Kill Spike ;p. I mean SERIOUSLY... of coarse that was just semis, haven't nominated finals yet...

User avatar
Knowname
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:49 pm
Status: Indubitably
Location: Sanity, USA (on the edge... very edge)
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:39 pm

dwchang wrote:
Tyler_yj wrote:But in my opinion, it's just because some categories are definitively ridiculous we can notice these "problems"...

Best use of simplicity, best no effect video, best lip sync :roll:
Comedy AND fun, sentimental AND romantic (it's almost the same kinf of video :roll: ) Now some people are against videos which shoundn't be in some categories... It's a joke ? :lol:
Uhm, were you being sarcastic?

Comedy and Fun are VERY different. Hell let's even look at the descriptions of the categories in the contest:
-Comedy - The Best Comedy award goes to the video which made the best jokes or comical situations - it's the video that made you laugh
-Fun - This video does not necessarily fit into just the comedy, dance, or action categories, but is more of a happy upbeat video that best leaves an overall good feeling with the viewer.

You're basically saying that all "feel good" AMVs are "comedic." That's wrong.

Sentimental and Romance are also very different:
-Romance - The end result is a video that tugs at the heart strings and leaves feelings of happiness, sadness, or other romantic emotions, but above all, a feeling of romance that the viewer experiences.
-Sentimental - Best video that brings out the inner feelings of the viewer, whether they be of positive or negative emotions, they are ones brought out of their very essence due to the powerful nature and story of the video.

Thinking they are the same is something a lot of people tend to do, but look at the descriptions alone. Sentimental is a video that brings about an emotion or feeling, positive *OR* negative. While Romance deals withw ell...romantic situations.

I could be overreacting and perhaps you were being sarcastic, but I disagree and feel all four of the categories are necessary and although there is overlapping videos in each category, that does not necessarily mean the categories are the same. Given that Phade allowed all these categories and people continually nominate them each year, I have a feeling people agree that they are legit categories.

If I extrapolated your argument I could go so far as to say half the categories are invalid and we should just have a "Best Video" category and that's it. Not that I believe it, but using your argument we could.
fun may not necisarily = comedy, but comedy = fun ;p. I can't THINK of a comedy video that isn't fun can you? Mr. I Can't Wait to be King, comedy or fun, both?? Though my Video (I thought it was gone -_- but it's NOT!!) is one of the only Drama/ Fun videos I know of... and then there's some videos that are neither funny nor dramatic yet dancey and fun (like my -uh- other 'collaberation' )! Acturally all dance videos seem to be rather fun too -_- so really, the fun category in itself is SUCH a me-too category since most everything is fun! Of coarse I'm not against 1 video winning more than once, some videos just AREN'T fun (I call those unoriginal, as they usually copy the anime ie there's no fun being had) so it IS a category, be it me too (or mis-named). So here's a motion to re-name most fun to most original! But what of Aluminum Studio's Silence or Ermac's last hurrah in Extraordinary World? I'd say pretty original, but NOT fun. Idunno, confused.

Oh only reason why I consider mine drama/ fun because the first bastard I asked to beta test it laughed at me!! Ahh but it IS funny if you don't seriously think about it. No jokes are pulled, just FUNny! IE a pretty good children's story that I think will last on you ;p as it rears it's ugly head the more you think about it. made in 03 though (along with Sub0's) but nothings stopping me from pimpin em ;p.

In life, sentimental and romance are pretty different, but who can distinguish romance (dramatic romance or love romance) in a video! I also think sentimental should be kicked out... though again, such as an Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi video, a video COULD be romantic and NOT sentimental... but not vica versa as even dramatic romance (ie brotherly love) as in Norskotaku's Priceless should be considered both romantic, dramatic AND sentimental as it really has elements of each.

In the end it's all up to the editor.

User avatar
LightningCountX
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 8:35 am
Location: Bayside, NY Interests: Your Mom ^_^
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:55 pm

bote wrote:I'm too lazy to contact the admins, but I'll admit that "War of wrath" isn't dramatic enough to get the nomination. Thanks to whoever nominated it though :up:.
Think again...

Its pretty damn dramatic in my terms...Downloading it for the 3rd time :D

User avatar
SarahtheBoring
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:45 am
Location: PA, USA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:11 pm

Knowname, comedy may be fun, but "fun" the category has a particular definition. They are different. We aren't talking about the words. We're talking about the VCA categories. Read the descriptions at the top of the nomination pages. There's nothing to debate between those two.

Offtopic, sorry.

User avatar
Arigatomina
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:04 am
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:24 pm

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote:Whisper of the Beast has been nominated for best no effects?!?!?!?!?!
I actually understand why it's there. They didn't check the box to include 'effects' in that video. Since it's so obviously an effects video, those people who wanted to nominate it for "Best Effects" couldn't. A shame, isn't it? So instead, they nominate it for "No Effects" - because that's the only "effects related" category they could nominate it for.

Now, if they could just shift that vid over to best effects, the problem would be solved. But they can't. So those people who love the effects in there will vote for it in any category they can - especially since according to this site it has no effects.

If there's a problem there, it's a technical one - technically, it has no effects (the box is not checked). So those who voted it there are technically correct (no box checked means no effects). You might consider it a complaint that we can't nominate effects vids unless they check the effects box.

And you can't - I tried to get to Whisper of the Beast to nominate it for best effects. If the box isn't checked, it has no effects. Period.

User avatar
badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:31 am
Location: In ur Kitchen Stadium, eatin ur peppurz
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:41 am

Wasn't there a link to click on that opened up the list of all videos? Oh well, it's too late now. :)
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Illia Sadri
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:33 am
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Well just because the box was not checked does not mean that a video should be voted for in an absolutely wrong category.

The point of the simplistic and no effects categories I think was really to recognize videos that used the footage as is and made respectable videos out of that. Those videos almost always get overshadowed by the vid that used lots of after effects.


Whisper of the Beast is not the only video in that category which does indeed have effects. Why Can't I is another one that comes to mind as it is frsh in my head. However Whisper stands out as it is not walking a line of what is an effect but rather throws up on it.

I really do hope that at some point we see some weeding out where vids that flat out do not belong at all. It degrades the contest greatly.

User avatar
silver_moon
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:46 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:09 pm

badmartialarts wrote:Wasn't there a link to click on that opened up the list of all videos?
No, not in the "Best Use of Visual Effects" category, I looked. You could do that in most of the other categories, but for visual effects you could only pick videos with the effects box checked.
ImageImage

User avatar
SarahtheBoring
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:45 am
Location: PA, USA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:21 am

Everyone bitching about "Whisper of the Beast" being in the wrong category:

Blame the editors. Yes, that's right. Blame the editors for listing their videos wrongly. They can edit, but apparently some of them can't read or follow directions. (I'll give some leeway for people whose second/third/none-th language is English, but otherwise, you're just being lazy.)

Complaining at the org or into thin air makes no sense when this confusion would have been cleared up at the source by everyone listing your damn videos correctly. It's a couple of checkboxes. It's not hard.

I like how everyone is so quick to argue into the air about this, but nobody is contacting the editors, who started it. They aren't gods. You can talk to them. Be nice, send an email, explain it. Like, you know, "Hi, you don't know me, but you may have noticed that your video is an orgy of special effects and yet, mysteriously, claims to have no effects at the org. You should probably fix this, because people are bleeding from the eyeballs at the injustice of it all. Thanks, have a nice day."

Not hard.

User avatar
Otohiko
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 8:32 pm
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:25 am

SarahtheBoring wrote:(I'll give some leeway for people whose second/third/none-th language is English)
...and that holds true in this case.

There are actually categories for this that concern me more so than 'no effects', and those are perhaps because of the somewhat tricky situation of this 'editor'. I'm hoping clarifications will be made shortly, however.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Illia Sadri
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:33 am
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:20 am

Sarah you are right that it's the editors. However at this point since we have videos that have made it this far, even if you go to the individual editors, it's ultimately the site's administrators who need to nix this before it goes further.

But yes I find it shameful that a good chunk of people cannot categorize videos properly. All it takes is reading a bit and some common sense.

Locked

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”