A call to nominated editors.

Otohiko
Org Profile

A call to nominated editors.

Post by Otohiko » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:07 pm

Hello editors,

I figure since VCA are a democratic event of sorts, things shouldn't be decided by anything else other than the videos, their editors, and the popular votes.

Since it seems that the popular vote is sometimes not sufficiently informed, I would like to appeal to a certain number of editors whom I would at present avoid naming:

Please, if you have been nominated for a category for which you or your video are clearly NOT qualified, do the right thing and contact the administration in an effort to prevent further confusion.

I would not be particularly concerned about this were it not for the overwhelming popularity of a number of the videos in question, which may result in them moving on farther then expected and compromising the winning chances of other deserving, qualified videos and editors.

In some cases, they have been nominated by a mistake on the part of the wider public; in other cases, nominations have been made because the wider public is not sufficiently aware of the editor's career.

So please, do the right thing.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Bote
Org Profile

Post by Bote » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:39 pm

I'm too lazy to contact the admins, but I'll admit that "War of wrath" isn't dramatic enough to get the nomination. Thanks to whoever nominated it though :up:.
My Youtube channel: Bote Logos
NEW!!! One Piece AMV - "YUM YUM 2.0"
Berserk - Man of Sorrows (upscaled to 4k)
Beowulf@RDS wrote:RECTANGLES AND AFTER EFFECTS WONT SAVE YOU NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:56 pm

Good post Oto,

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:25 pm

Is that comma intentional? :lol:

Actually, War of Wrath would probably work as drama in some respects - though I guess that's not the focus of the vid. But I mean, it's certainly not an empty-shell vid without any emotion in it, for one.

I'm speaking more for videos and editors which are completely out of place based on the category definitions.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:54 pm

umm.. is that a trick question?

Actually, I think it was just a typo.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 pm

I don't mean to sound ignorant and I honestly am asking this as a legit question, but do you consider a flash to B&W an effect? Or slight motion settings like say a slow zoom to 110% to have the perception of motion? Or speeding things up and down?

If so, then I guess I'd need to e-mail the admins too.

I honestly am not trying to be sarcastic in this post since I honestly thought I actually belonged in those categories, but I could be wrong right?

BTW thanks for the post Oto!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:05 pm

Well, the definition of effects is rather shady, thus the problem.

I think heavy alteration of the source footage and/or heavy use of external purpose-built motion graphics (if that makes any sense) is a good indication that a video has effects. But there's all kinds of grey areas and ambiguities around that - so if a video is in a grey area like that, I'd just let the public do the judging...

Maverick-Rubik
The Eye of a Lynx
Org Profile

Post by Maverick-Rubik » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:25 pm

If I recall, that was the point of Best Simplicity... since no-effects is literally NO EFFECTS.

dw your vid would fit best simplicity but not No-effects, in my opinion.

There is a difference? :shock: :roll:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:49 pm

The No Effect category is bound to be plagued with these issues... The other consideration is that if you speed or slow down footage is that an effect???

Technically the use of fades is using effects and hence the only way you are going to get the absolute true definition is if all you use if straight cuts and non sped manipulated footage...

In other words, it's back to what a person thinks a effect is and thus we are bound to disagree here... There is really no point in dicussing it and just lleave ot to each person ot decide for himself :wink:

Vlad

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:59 pm

Otohiko wrote:I'm speaking more for videos and editors which are completely out of place based on the category definitions.
What you talkin' 'bout David Hasselhoff?

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”