A call to nominated editors.

Illia Sadri
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:33 pm

Fact is it's really a matter of convincing the viewers to use half a brain when making a selection.

But I agree perhaps in future years it might be a good option to go through the few dozen or so that are posed to make the semifinals (even if it takes a few extra days) just to weed out any that simply blatantly do not fit.

But really if viewers don't want to use some basic common sense on what is a no-effects video and such... I think that says a lot of the community as a whole.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:11 am

Otohiko wrote:But I don't think he's suggesting thousands. He's only suggesting the few dozen (at most) of those who actually get nominated...
But who is to say that they have a better opinion on this than the creator?

If a creator says "Hey I shouldn't be in this category" then fine but otherwise I don't know if it's our place. Things like incorrect "first videos" and things like that I can understand (and we did filter those before compiling the finalists) but things like "videos that arent really all that sentimental" I just think it's way too subjective.

theocide
Org Profile

Post by theocide » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:44 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:If you want to go through thousands of videos picking categories on the behalf of creators they be my guest.
Is it really such a chore to watch other's videos? :wink: I officially volunteer. I and a panel of volunteers(shouldn't be hard to find) will watch every qualified video next year and place each as nominatable into the categories which they belong.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Personally I dont see anyway around this problem.
Don't pretend the system is beyond reform.
How about a simple form for the creator to check 3-5 categories to enter each of his videos? Limiting the number of categories would increase all creators' chances with few exceptions. At least the exceptions in that case would number less than the complaints in this case.
Veldrin: I agree. Man this wedding was like having sex with theocide. Fast and makes you cry.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:51 am

It's a chore for the admins, we have a lot of other things to do.

The problem is that the creators already DO select categories to go in when they choose the categories on their video. They can change this information throughout the entire first round to make sure they dont appear in the wrong filter.

What you suggest is no different from what already exists.

theocide
Org Profile

Post by theocide » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:43 am

In favor of shrewd organization and fairness:
I volunteer. I don't have alot of other things to do. If you're concerned that having a panel of "category appointers" would be objected to, put it to a vote.
(e.g.)
Site Announcement
Official Poll:
Should VCA 2006 category appointment be dictated by a panel?
YES
NO

Should this poll vote in favor of the panel, there could be an official election of, say, 12(or more) volunteer panel members whose duty would be categorization of every qualified video for the upcoming VCA's. It would be their duty, also, to clearly define what constitutes qualification for each category, and, upon request, justify their appropriations, siting these definitions. ETC

If the admins don't have the time or energy to rule the VCA's, they could leave the "burden" to those who eagerly and enthusiastically do.

My other suggestion, more specifically, is that there should be a form for each of every creator's qualified vids. The form would limit entry of each vid to 3-5 categories(I'd go with 3). This would be separate from the "video info." form.
Veldrin: I agree. Man this wedding was like having sex with theocide. Fast and makes you cry.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:01 am

I think there should just be a way for creators to disqualify themselves (that particular video) if they think their video doesn't belong in a particular category that it ends up getting nominated to. Some editors don't realize they made the mistake of the category before its too late, as an example, I don't think ScorpionsULTD purposely kept the effects box unchecked, and even if they did they may not have been thinking about the VCAs in that decission. I did the same with a few of my vids, didn't think about the VCAs when flagging the categories, and so missed out on a few that would have fit. Istiv even concured that Shounin Bushido didn't belong in character profile, if there was a way for him to disqualify himself from that, someone else would've had a chance to make it to the finals.

All I think is nessisary is a way for the creators themselves to weed out incorrect nominations of their own videos in the semi final round.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:02 am

Creators can disqualify themselves... all they have to do is tell us.

As nobody actually did then I guess that's their problem.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:07 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Creators can disqualify themselves... all they have to do is tell us.

As nobody actually did then I guess that's their problem.
I don't think anyone knew they could ;p This wasn't exaclty mentioned anywhere that I can remember ^^
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:36 am

Well, I think you have to remember that the admins set the category definitions, and while grey areas are quite probably out of their power - I'm sure in instances where a video is grossly mis-categorized something can and should be done without taking too much effort...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:59 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:The problem is that the creators already DO select categories to go in when they choose the categories on their video. They can change this information throughout the entire first round to make sure they dont appear in the wrong filter.
The thing is, though, as <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 2">someone else pointed out on another thread</a> (I hadn't realized it before), this year that only worked on the lip synch and effects categories.

Apparently, you could have nominated AEO:EB for Best Romance if you really felt like it, by selecting a filter that would include it.

No, I <i>don't</i> agree with this, but that's how it was.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”