Best No-Effects Video

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:25 pm

Ugh! :x

Technically, I'm just picking off videos that just appeared in the filtered lists (practically any video that doesn't have the Effects score filled in).
ImageImage

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:25 pm

Janzki wrote: Anything more than a cross-dissolve from clip A to clip B, according to the definition you see when you're entering a video. That's what I use as my guideline in the VCA nominations.
An odd guideline, as all my videos have at least a bit of motion and perhaps a brief overlay or two, but you can't say I have many effects in them at all (excepting for the two vids with severe cases of various flying color-objects).
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Maverick-Rubik
The Eye of a Lynx
Org Profile

Re: Best No-Effects Video

Post by Maverick-Rubik » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:26 pm

JCD wrote:I figured as I saw this that I have tried something like this this year:
Between Earth and Spirit
x2

This is my best no-effects nom this year. 8-)

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:12 pm

I ended up not nominating anything for this category... It's too similar to Best use of simplicity and I saw myself nominating almost the same videos for both categories.

Besides I have difficulties considering / recognizing something as an effect if I'm not the video's creator and don't know the anime. On top of that it's kinda ridiculuos in my opinion to nail it on the fact that there shouldn't be one single effect. For the rest we have the simpicity category.

So I figured the best option for me is not to nominate / vote for anything :)

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:10 pm

yea I beleive they should have kept only the simplicity one and x'd the no effects one also.

they are too similar.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:30 pm

There is a difference. For example, some people use effects that are simple, but are just enough to kick you away from no effects. Use of simplicity is the use of effects in a minimalistic way, rather than being no effects at all.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:36 pm

Tono_Fyr wrote:There is a difference. For example, some people use effects that are simple, but are just enough to kick you away from no effects. Use of simplicity is the use of effects in a minimalistic way, rather than being no effects at all.

I know theres a diference, but I don't think its enough to warant to seperate categories for a contest as large a scale as this. Both types can compete fairly under Simpicity, wich is why I opped for that one over No Effects. Frankly I have no video in mind I would nominate under No effects that I would'nt also nominate under Best Simplicity.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

krzT
I has a title
Org Profile

Post by krzT » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:08 pm

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] wrote:
Tono_Fyr wrote:There is a difference. For example, some people use effects that are simple, but are just enough to kick you away from no effects. Use of simplicity is the use of effects in a minimalistic way, rather than being no effects at all.

I know theres a diference, but I don't think its enough to warant to seperate categories for a contest as large a scale as this. Both types can compete fairly under Simpicity, wich is why I opped for that one over No Effects. Frankly I have no video in mind I would nominate under No effects that I would'nt also nominate under Best Simplicity.
I agree. Jasper-Isis and I were discussing this when the nominations first went up. I really don't see why "Best No-Effects" videos couldn't work in the "Best Simplicity" category. :shrug:
That's just my two cents :)

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:45 pm

I agree, even if you do know the anime it's too hard to distinguish between them. What counts as an effect? What about a white/black flash? What about zoomed in footage? Speed changes?

Best simplistic video says it all.

[ZeaL]
Org Profile

Post by [ZeaL] » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:04 pm

Well, there ARE two seperate categories, so why dwell on it? One more person gets to be recognized by their peers for making an AMV that people enjoyed. Is that a problem? I don't think it is. Let's stop debating that which we cannot change (the existence of the category), and return to discussing that which is relevant (what is the definition of 'no effects' you're using when nominating? what video do you want to pimp for this category?)

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”