Best Dance Video

hanyou21
Org Profile

Post by hanyou21 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:17 am

Yup - it's not like I don't agree with a point or two of your comments, but AD's right - deal :D

If you don't like any of the entries, just don't vote.
On the seventh day, God rested...and watched anime. And it was good.

Anamorphic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Anamorphic Productions » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:57 am

^^ Sorry AD. I didnt actually aim to criticise any of the videos because I do think all of them are great for their own reasons, and they Do deserve their positions in the finalists. I think I'm just disappointed that so many MEP were chosen for Dance, as opposed to other categories I thought they'd be good for. :D

hanyou21 wrote:Wow, that was long - I definitely respect the amount of time it took you to do Delerium, but in my opinion it's far better than you give it credit for. The combination was just excellent and wowed me the first time I saw it - hell, I even turned out the lights and "partied" to it.

I'll definitely agree with you on some portions of the Animix, it did hit low points once in awhile. However, I will say that staying attention through the entire thing, especially the 1-3 or 4 times wasn't a problem for me. If you didn't like one song it changed in like 30sec. However, a point I would like to argue is that for 10+ min multieditor projects, energy doesn't have to get high and stay there.

For a short normal length AMV, ya, get high and stay constant. But in long projects it's unrealistic, and creates more of a dramatic effect if you let the energy sag, and then build up to a climax/high point. Take the last 5 some minutes of Animix, not counting the credits - you go from normal mixes, to the Cat Soup portion (which I hate, no offense), and then all of a sudden you hit the climax. If you're not expecting it, it has the element of surprise and is better than if you would've gradually built up to it.

Idk - I just kinda like all the random highs in lows in these projects, it's like a rollercoaster :D Oh, and the Asuka segment around 40 min still is awesome even after seeing the vid for like 20 times.
I actually love Delirium wholeheartedly- It's my favourite work, and after a year I'm still not tired of the song or the video. I'm happily surprised that it got as far as it did- Semi-Finalist in FOUR categories makes me feel pretty darned fluffy inside. I'm just surprised that Dance was the category it pulled through to finalist for.

And just to clairfy, for a (dance) video, you don't actually have to keep the pace constant, but there does need to be some flow. It isn't so much as having the Climax surprise you at the end of the Animix as its the different pace each editor took for each song. Instead of a defined feeling and flow of setup, buildup, climax, denoument, there's just this rollercoaster of up-down-up-down-up-up-up-down-down-down- middle-. While there are fantastic portions to the videos (I adore the Boogiepop section of RoS and the Asuka section of Animix, and most of Children is solid fun) the lack of pacing makes them hard for me to watch.

But again, I am a pacing whore. :lol:

I think RoS has my vote for this. I really enjoyed that video the most, and it kept its pace for me (probably because its shortest :P) the best.

And as previously stated, I take no offence to anyone who hates Delirium with a burning passion (Or just doesn't like it much). It was not made to be everyone's cup of tea. Just do me a favour and don't leave me with a op with an effort score of 2 *grumbles* And we'll be fine. :lol:

hanyou21
Org Profile

Post by hanyou21 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:51 pm

lol, pacing whore :D n1 ;)

My vote still goes to TCP, but RoS definitely gained some ground in my head after I watched again last night, especially due to the FLCL and Bebop segments. I don't know tho, there's just something about TCP that convinces me it's better, and I can put my finger on it.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:26 am

JCD wrote: And sorry for my rant -_-
/me votes for RoS
I agree, after just watching it, it's very artistic and I love it for that, but not dance. Probley only nominated cuz it has a DDR beat... geeze you asian lovers! lol :twisted:

But I say it wins by default. pity bout the other vids I liked that didn't make it too.

Anamorphic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Anamorphic Productions » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:37 am

hanyou21 wrote:lol, pacing whore :D n1 ;)

My vote still goes to TCP, but RoS definitely gained some ground in my head after I watched again last night, especially due to the FLCL and Bebop segments. I don't know tho, there's just something about TCP that convinces me it's better, and I can put my finger on it.
Actually, following your gut normally just means you're picking up on subconscious stuff you don't fully recognize. And you can be bettter at judging some things than others. I use my gut reaction for AMV's a lot, since one of the whole purposes of these is for the viewers to enjoy them.

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:45 am

Anamorphic Productions wrote: Firstly, the concept of Delirium was simple. Utilize frame by frame editing and a very high-impact song to play on visual cues our eyes have. Delirium was NOT made to be a dance video, and therby the concept is not the standard.

What I was exploiting was the fact that when you see something split, as I did, frame by frame through two or three video tracks, your mind stores each image. You see scene 1 in frame A, scene 2 in frame B, and Scene 1 TWO frames further in frame C, and your mind keeps both images in your head and fills in the missing info.
Pull in three frames and you mind will shift between recognizing any two, and reading the third as background noise.
exactly! (so that's it! I thought I was drunk...) It's pure nirvana! And the music just wrped around my brain.... o.0

Anamorphic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Anamorphic Productions » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:51 am

Sub0 wrote: exactly! (so that's it! I thought I was drunk...) It's pure nirvana! And the music just wrped around my brain.... o.0
....My brother has requested copies of Delirium several times. He hates anime (And me, for that matter) but apparently his friends think its the greatest thing since a Winamp visualization to get stoned to.
*shrugs*

But happy to kill a brain cell or two! *bows*

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:02 am

Anamorphic Productions wrote: But happy to kill a brain cell or two! *bows*
Hanyou21 wrote: turned out the lights and "partied" to it.
I pitty the ppl that can stand Tom Green.... only not ATM :roll:

hanyou21
Org Profile

Post by hanyou21 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:32 am

:roll: oooooooooookay

Anamorphic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Anamorphic Productions » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:28 am

ATM? = At the moment?

Because that just went over my head completely....

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”