What Makes A Good MEP

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Minion wrote:i wanna stop seeing all of these band tribute MEPs. i don't think i've ever watched one that didn't suck.
I agree. Most MEPs I've watched were a total waste of time. Mainly it's these band tribute MEPs that take the cake at sucking..

Anyone ever hear of megamixes? They are usually done and done well through trance type music, yet people keep creating these damn boring rock meps. :\

And I'm sick of people doing their own mixes unless it's AtomX's mixes because he seems to know how to do them right, other than that, they should take already existed megamixes and make a huge project out of it and focus on the build up in the audio when it happens and make sure to edit accordingly.

It's one thing to have an idea, like it, then make a thread telling people to join your project, it's another to get some ideas thrown on the table and have a discussion about these ideas, decide what's good, find someone willing to coordinate the project and then starting an official thread for it. I choose the latter.. maybe we'd get more interesting meps if we actually had a thread dedicated to the discussion of mep ideas. What do you think?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:34 pm

most of those mep projects start out as "interest gagues" to see if anyone is even interested in the project... which i believe goes almost exactly like your idea: a discussion on weather people want to do it/it will work or not....

as far as im concerned if people want to make "crappy" meps let them... this is a hobby after all, its meant to be enjoied by the creators as well...

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:05 pm

By all means, make the biggest pile of meps that you can, that doesn't bother me.. it's that the meps aren't too creative, and a discussion of ideas can go a long way. You may think someone creating a dedicated thread to one idea is almost like my idea, it isn't. Random threads popping up with someone going "OMG linkin park mep!! *interest gague*" is not discussing Ideas, it's discussing an idea, therefor isn't anything like my idea. Having a thread with an already started idea and going from there is different than having a discussion on some mep ideas and then seeing what people think of them, instead of having a thread dedicated to just one. We may be able to come up with a lot of interesting ideas through a discussion of ideas IMO, it wont hurt to try I don't think.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:19 pm

I'm honestly thinking of doing something MEP related soon, and since the other guide thread was locked after 2 years of no posts i gues this has become the defacto sticky for advice...

Anyway, what's the best way to ensure quality asside from handpicking all the editors for the project and hoping they'll give you the time of day / commit to the project? I'm interested in keeping the quality of what i'm proposing fairly high, and really wasn't sure of how to go about setting up a thread here when the time comes - a screening of past work? Of course i plan to pass the mix i'm using around to people before hand... but if worse came to worse and everyone was busy (as i can see many people are), what would be the more acceptible means of saying "i don't want people in this project that suck?"
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:54 pm

take "auditions"

BunofGovt
Org Profile

Post by BunofGovt » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Tell everyone ahead of time that each submission is going to be reviewed for acceptability.

Review the submission/have someone else review it and decide if you want to keep it in, have the editor make some edits to see if it gets better, and if you don't want it, tell the editor why.

I've had that happen to me before, I have no problems with it (waah!) as long as I know why I'm... um ... why the submission is being rejected. :shock:
"Didn't I say something clever earlier?"
"Dunno, I was probably asleep when you said it."

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:39 pm

BunofGovt wrote:Tell everyone ahead of time that each submission is going to be reviewed for acceptability.

Review the submission/have someone else review it and decide if you want to keep it in, have the editor make some edits to see if it gets better, and if you don't want it, tell the editor why.

I've had that happen to me before, I have no problems with it (waah!) as long as I know why I'm... um ... why the submission is being rejected. :shock:
I was looking more for a way of dealing with it ahead of time than waiting all the months, getting crap, and having to start over again with someone else for the same segment. This review period would almost be a given, but i doubt it would be needed if i got the right people involved. Things to think on I suppose.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:12 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I'm honestly thinking of doing something MEP related soon, and since the other guide thread was locked after 2 years of no posts i gues this has become the defacto sticky for advice...

Anyway, what's the best way to ensure quality asside from handpicking all the editors for the project and hoping they'll give you the time of day / commit to the project? I'm interested in keeping the quality of what i'm proposing fairly high, and really wasn't sure of how to go about setting up a thread here when the time comes - a screening of past work? Of course i plan to pass the mix i'm using around to people before hand... but if worse came to worse and everyone was busy (as i can see many people are), what would be the more acceptible means of saying "i don't want people in this project that suck?"
A variety of ideas I've considered for the couple serious MEPs I've thought about doing:

1) Be honest. If someone wants to join and you think they suck then say no, you think they suck. Maybe this would only work for the known asshuals of the org though.

2) Joiners have to prove they can edit something like what I want the project to be by linking to past examples of their work in a similar style.

3) A pretty early first beta deadline. Explicitly state you don't expect a full video but rather just enough that you can judge if you want their track to go in or not. Anyone who looks like they're doing an interesting segment stays in and anyone who looks like they're pulling a sierra lorna/silvermoon by just tossing pointless effects on top of a soulless video gets the ax.

4) Disposable tracks. Have a set number of core tracks that the project absolutely needs and fill those with editors you know are good. Have some other tracks that will work in the project but can be cut without hurting anything for the editors you aren't sure of. Just remove whatever sucks at the end.

5) Plan it like a solo video. Storyboard the fucking thing to whatever detail you want then say 'I need someone to do this segment but you can't deviate from the storyboard'. It'd probably work if you kept things semi-general like 'i need a fight scene from here to here' and probably fail if you tried controlling it down to individual cuts.

6 ) Run it invite only. Ask people you think are capable of doing a good job. If you set the deadline long enough that they can fit it in you'd be surprised how many say yes even if you only pester the well known quality editors. If you're worried about not getting enough people then trust the people you've asked to join, let them suggest others they think would be a good fit. After all you aren't going to remember every decent editor on the org. It would probably help if you show you've put thought into how you want the project to be rather than appearing like it's a spur of the moment thing. It'd probably help *A LOT* if the idea you're pitching has more of a hook than just 'I like (band name)'.

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:47 am

I haven't done my own mep. But i've seen enough to say: HAVE A THEME!!! or make a point or something. Ive seen a bunch of meps that are just a bunch unrelated stuff put together. I'm not saying stick to one artist or one anime, just dont have like one track be a love story from one anime and then the next track is like DBZ beating hell out of one another.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:45 am

where's that mep I'm almost interested in seeing something like that (unless its a mep i was already in)

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”