Amateur Multi Editor Video Project and other questions.

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
SpaceGhost2K
Org Profile

Amateur Multi Editor Video Project and other questions.

Post by SpaceGhost2K » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:33 am

First question: Is there a designation in "search" to find the longer, multi-editor projects?

Second question: Has anyone ever proposed a MEP for amateurs/noobs/limited software editors? Face it, you guys intimidate the hell out of me. I can't even imagine having to come up with something complement the likes of VicBond or Scintilla or a hundred others.

At the same time, I've been dragging my feet about starting a new AMV, and I think working together on a project would motivate me. Besides, I like the idea of watching a video with my kids, telling them, "Here comes my part! Here comes my part!" But I don't want my "average" clip to look like magnified suck next to a fancy, multi-layered, effect-laden masterpiece. Compare my ""Mixed Messages" to something like "Waka Laka" and you can understand my fear.

I think it might be cool to get a few people together who only have WMM or a similar program (I have Nero too, and WMM is better, in a few ways like speed mods). At least then, I'm not likely to get embarrassed, or if I do, I deserve to.

My other fear is that "those people" (the WMM guys) probably don't even come into this forum. MEP is "the other side of the tracks" for a lot of us. If I turned this idea into a proposal, is there anyone in here who would read it who was qualified?

Anyway, that's out there. Discuss. :)

themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:45 pm

Most people around these forums are really nice people, the only assholes are the complete n00bs. You don't need to feel intimidated, if you aren't right for the project, editors won't be mean about telling you that you didn't make it in. Just get accustomed to you're program and build your skills, it's not necissary to join a multi-editor project until you can handle what you need to in that situation. Just take you're time and get better and just have fun. And I'm sure you will feel just as rewarded showing you're kids something you made on your own aswell as something in a multi-editor project.

Oh, and to answer you're first question, you can go here
to find a list of multi-editor projects that are completed, currently in progress, or have died.
Image Appeared on RDS 2/2/05

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:17 am

some meps are more selective than others. if you read the mep descriptions, you'll find that for some projects, the project leaders will screen the entrants, and for other projects, it's first-come first-serve. furthermore, you may be lucky to find a mep in which, if your video isn't as great as the others, the other members will help you improve yours.

animasia was originally first-come first-serve, and my first track for it was completely done in windows movie maker. currently i think it's open for new entries, but there is a screening, and you'd have to do it realllllly quickly, as we're about wrapping it up.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:32 am

I thought this thread was about starting a new project, not joining an existing one.

There are plenty of forumgoers who use WMM, and there are plenty of forumgoers who prove that WMM can produce some very good videos (I remind everyone that one such WMM-made video made the finals at Otakon this year AHEAD OF "Waka Laka"). So I can see where a WMM-or-similar-only project could come out nice... but you'd probably want some other unifying theme as well to give it some cohesion.

Also, you'd want to give it a different name, because by definition, virtually all of us here are amateurs.

OMG I was mentioned in the same sentence as Vic... but GRAH, y'all are never going to let me forget that video now :P
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

SpaceGhost2K
Org Profile

Post by SpaceGhost2K » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:25 am

It's not really about starting OR joining. It's just about finding where people are. I'm new at this. By "intimidated" I mean like a freshman actor sharing a scene with Tom Hanks. No doubt he's a nice guy, but having your performance and his on the screen at the same time would be insanely intimidating. Has nothing to do with Hanks.

Right now, I'm preparing to pitch a cartoon of my own creation to Frederator for a Nickelodeon program. I love editing, even with the limited tools, but I'm jazzed beyond belief at the chance to be a "creator." I think in terms of music and I hope to have the equivalent of a music video in every episode (like the old Scooby Doo musical segments). That's the main reason I'm not throwing myself into another editing project right now. My brain is full, and I can't let even a good idea like a MEP or "Butterfly" with Keitaro and Shinobu distract me.

Watching and enjoying them right now is about my limit. I'd have to be passed the cartoon distraction AND have a kick-ass idea before I started something like a MEP.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”