How YOU can help the completion of Reflections of Style 2!

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
risk one
Org Profile

Post by risk one » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:13 pm

Everything seems to work here (XP). It's now at 3 #'s after two hours. I only just saw that the directory is unix format, so I'm curious to see where blender will hide the file. I've also brought my unix box into the battle (but at 366 mhz/64 I don't expect too much of it).

As a thought; would it be possible to install blender/yafray remotely on linux (redhat or fedora) with user priviliges and render a project from the command line? If so, my school has about 50 high end systems (2Ghz/512 mb, I think) that aren't doing much at all. It should be possible to log into to all of them and set them to render (I should even be able to run a network deamon for the internal network).
ImageImage

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:24 pm

risk one wrote: As a thought; would it be possible to install blender/yafray remotely on linux (redhat or fedora) with user priviliges and render a project from the command line? If so, my school has about 50 high end systems (2Ghz/512 mb, I think) that aren't doing much at all. It should be possible to log into to all of them and set them to render (I should even be able to run a network deamon for the internal network).
Yep. Actually, that's what I'm doing right now on my Linux box.

Running blender --help from the command line will give you a list of options. I think I used

Code: Select all

blender -b ros2-4-curve.blend -a -s [start] -e [end]
You _may_ need to set the YafRay location in the scene file.

I don't know if Blender's render daemon works, though, but feel free to give a shot.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:58 pm

How much space does this take? I mean the project files and rendered frames here, i already have blender installed so that's not an issue. I can toss a few spare cycles towards this while I'm at work, jerking off, or otherwise wasting time however I currectly have only a gig or so free because of MEP project files.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:13 pm

godix wrote:How much space does this take? I mean the project files and rendered frames here, i already have blender installed so that's not an issue.
Approximately 300-400 KB per frame.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:55 am

risk one wrote:Everything seems to work here (XP). It's now at 3 #'s after two hours. I only just saw that the directory is unix format, so I'm curious to see where blender will hide the file. I've also brought my unix box into the battle (but at 366 mhz/64 I don't expect too much of it).

As a thought; would it be possible to install blender/yafray remotely on linux (redhat or fedora) with user priviliges and render a project from the command line? If so, my school has about 50 high end systems (2Ghz/512 mb, I think) that aren't doing much at all. It should be possible to log into to all of them and set them to render (I should even be able to run a network deamon for the internal network).
That would be VERY cool if you could get a network render going! Go for it!
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

risk one
Org Profile

Post by risk one » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:37 am

AtomX wrote:
risk one wrote:Everything seems to work here (XP). It's now at 3 #'s after two hours. I only just saw that the directory is unix format, so I'm curious to see where blender will hide the file. I've also brought my unix box into the battle (but at 366 mhz/64 I don't expect too much of it).

That would be VERY cool if you could get a network render going! Go for it!
It would, but I'm having some problems getting it to work. Blender seems to be running just fine, but I can't install yafray without root access. I unpacked the 0.07 packages, but there are a lot of libraries that need to be in /etc/lib and whatnot. I could try compiling my own binaries (I should be able to change the directories that way), but I'm a relativenoob to linux, so that's still a bit daunting.
ImageImage

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:48 am

Sorry, my computer has become prone to random crashes lately, and I need all the up-time I can get for editing...blame Castor Troy :P
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:01 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:Sorry, my computer has become prone to random crashes lately, and I need all the up-time I can get for editing...blame Castor Troy :P
:D 8-)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:18 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Kusoyaro wrote:Sorry, my computer has become prone to random crashes lately, and I need all the up-time I can get for editing...blame Castor Troy :P
:D 8-)
/me still hasnt worked on his Vg3 video

>_>

*hides*

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:23 pm

You guys should contact the seti@home dudes and ask them to share :lol:
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”